CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 06-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
randy8876

randy8876 is just really nicerandy8876 is just really nicerandy8876 is just really nicerandy8876 is just really nice

Best SQ Small Footprint Amp

I'm looking for small amplifiers that have great SQ. They need to be able to fit under the front seat(s). The sub amp needs to be 400-700 watts and the front & rear full range 70-120.

Amps I've looked at"
JL HD900/5
JL HD750/1 and HD600/4
JL XD series
SoundStream stealth series
Arc Mini's

What am I missing?

Any suggestions on amps that have great SQ for a stealth system? Are the JL HD's about the best on the market?
randy8876 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 06-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
Tama_Drumz_76

Tama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant future

The new Phoenix Gold S series look interesting for small form factor amps.

http://phoenixgold.com/products.aspx...d=1&seriesid=5

They have very good specs.
Tama_Drumz_76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
only126db

Banned

only126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond repute

For Sale
http://www.linearpower.com/lpforsale.html
Specs
http://www.linearpower.com/lpspecs.html
only126db is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 04:37 AM   #4
neillio

neillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond repute

Zapco DC Ref or C2K
Rainbow iPaul
Audison LRX
Alpine PDX
DLS RA
Hertz EP
Linear Power(aforementioned)
DD Audio SS Class
If you really want super clean small amps... Sinfoni is probably the best at the craft. A little bit more money.

I'm sure I'm forgetting several. Thing is... I think you might actually get "short changed" on a small amp.
neillio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
pjhabit

pjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond repute

IMO, as much power/headroom as you can cram = clean/dynamic signal & it looks like the class D's have that locked up. The previous gen PDX had turned me off to full-range class D's (worst amp I've ever had) but they seem to have addressed those faults w/ the new gen. (at least they market them as so, I've yet to audition one). Then the HD's squashed any notions of acoustic pitfalls associated w/ full-range class D's...some even argue they have a more dynamic or harmonic top end than traditional AB's, due to the single-cycle feedback & its huge bandwidth. I don't know if I believe that, all I know is they're extremely clean.
pjhabit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
Mordrid1

Mordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently running the Soundstream Stealth series in my truck.

The STL4.500 and the STL1.600D.....overall i am extremely happy with these amps. They sound great and they are mounted in the tool compartment under the seat of my truck(no air flow) and they stay extremely cool. I made the 6 hour drive to Las Vegas last week and I had it jamming the whole time and the amps never really heated up at all.

I had considered the JL XD amps but my friend, (a local JL dealer) let me try the XD's in my truck and I could not really tell a difference. I also tried the JL HD's, and with the monoblock I did not hear a difference, however with the 4 channel HD my mids seem to have a lot more pop, and definition.

So IMO the JL HD's are great but I cannot justify the price difference. The JL HD 4 channel was $750 and I payed $199 for my STL4.500
Mordrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #7
bassfreak

Freestyle GOD

bassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond repute

MMats
lunar
bassfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2010, 02:49 AM   #8
randy8876

randy8876 is just really nicerandy8876 is just really nicerandy8876 is just really nicerandy8876 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordrid1 View Post

The STL4.500 and the STL1.600D.....overall i am extremely happy with these amps. They sound great and they are mounted in the tool compartment under the seat of my truck(no air flow) and they stay extremely cool. I made the 6 hour drive to Las Vegas last week and I had it jamming the whole time and the amps never really heated up at all.

I had considered the JL XD amps but my friend, (a local JL dealer) let me try the XD's in my truck and I could not really tell a difference. I also tried the JL HD's, and with the monoblock I did not hear a difference, however with the 4 channel HD my mids seem to have a lot more pop, and definition.

So IMO the JL HD's are great but I cannot justify the price difference. The JL HD 4 channel was $750 and I payed $199 for my STL4.500
I have heard the HD600/4 and thought it was pretty great. The only complaint I've heard from anyone is the cost. I can get the 600/4 for around $500 online and use that for powering my entire system and eventually add a sub amp when my funds replenish. For now that's kind of what I'm leaning towards doing.

The stealth series seems like a bargain. I might use one for my subs.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:11 AM   #9
Mordrid1

Mordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
I have heard the HD600/4 and thought it was pretty great. The only complaint I've heard from anyone is the cost. I can get the 600/4 for around $500 online and use that for powering my entire system and eventually add a sub amp when my funds replenish. For now that's kind of what I'm leaning towards doing.

The stealth series seems like a bargain. I might use one for my subs.
Yeah I was very impressed with the clarity and ummph that the JL HD had, but am very happy with the SS Stealths, and then when i think what I payed for them it makes me love them even more. ( I think I got both for $300 shipped )
Mordrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2010, 02:52 AM   #10
horsemanwill

horsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond repute

http://cerwinvegamobile.com/stealth_amplifiers.html

these are perty good amps
horsemanwill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2010, 03:07 AM   #11
neillio

neillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemanwill View Post
The EXL line was done by Zeff. Same with the Clarion amps. The XL amps were very budget.
neillio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2010, 11:00 PM   #12
SPL BRONCO II

SPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond repute

Genesis makes tiny amps and super clean power.
SPL BRONCO II is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #13
randy8876

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordrid1 View Post

What load are you running you STL1.600 into?
I'm considering the STL1.1200D, but unsure about running it into a 1 ohm load. But running it into 2 ohms isn't much of a gain over the 600D.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:03 AM   #14
JNB

JNB is infamous around these parts

Lunar hands down
L1500: 500w x1@1ohm, 3.5"x10"x5" in size great amp for SQ.
JNB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2010, 02:28 AM   #15
joshualittle

joshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond repute

Arc audio ks series are small and are great sound quality amps. I'm sure you could find a good deal on them at woofersetc.com too.
joshualittle is offline   Reply With Quote