CarAudioForum.com

Old 07-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #1
BaC0nz

BaC0nz is on a distinguished road

[Noob] Sub + AMP Installation

Hello, recently I got a 2008 Dodge Avenger. I am going to be installing subs and an AMP. I just want to make sure I have everything before I start to make purchases.I have a few questions about the build:
  • Will my custom enclosure work?
  • Will the speaker terminal cups work?
  • Do I have the correct cables?
  • Do I need to purchase anything else?
Custom Enclosure:
  • Blueprint- http://i.imgur.com/FagWSJA.png
  • Ported- 1.75 ft^3
  • Displacement- 0.12 ft^3
  • Depth-6 1/2"
  • Outside Diameter-12 1/4"
  • Cut-Out- 11 1/8"
  • Recommended Tuning- 32Hz
  • Recommended Port Area- 16in^2
Materials:My setup would look like this http://i.imgur.com/S9BkLgq.png
Sadly I cannot push my sub-woofer back. I'd rather not fold my seats down.

I have a few questions about the wiring:
  • How exactly will I connect my 2 subs?
  • How will I go about setting up the amp?
Tutorials or diagrams would help

Last edited by BaC0nz; 07-28-2015 at 12:59 AM.
BaC0nz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 07-27-2015, 06:52 PM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaC0nz View Post
Hello, recently I got a 2008 Dodge Avenger. I am going to be installing subs and an AMP. I just want to make sure I have everything before I start to make purchases.I have a few questions about the build:
  • Will my custom enclosure work?
  • Will the speaker terminal cups work?
  • Do I have the correct cables?
  • Do I need to purchase anything else?
Custom Enclosure:
  • Blueprint- http://i.imgur.com/FagWSJA.png
  • Ported- 1.75 ft^3
  • Displacement- 0.12 ft^3
  • Depth-6 1/2"
  • Outside Diameter-12 1/4"
  • Cut-Out- 11 1/8"
  • Recommended Tuning- 32Hz
  • Recommended Port Area- 16in^2
Materials:My setup would look like this http://i.imgur.com/S9BkLgq.png
Sadly I cannot push my sub-woofer back. I'd rather not fold my seats down.

I have a few questions about the wiring:Tutorials or diagrams would help
Those are not 4 ohm subwoofers, they are dual 4 ohm voice coil subwoofers. You would wire them like this, for a 1 ohm load to the amplifier:

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...2&I=42#results

^^ wire them as per option #1

For your enclosure, most of the time having the woofer cones and the port installed on the same plane and aimed back at the license plate results in more bass energy/output when heard at the front seat- having them on different planes like in your diagram typically only works well in certain shaped vehicle interiors, and can have a bunch of that sound get converted to mechanical energy (rattles, vibrations) due to cancellation rather than maximizing what is heard up front. You can get by with one terminal cup if you wire the subwoofers together as per the diagram inside your enclosure, then run one pair of wires from the terminal's positive post to the positive speaker terminal on the amp and from the negative post to the negative speaker terminal on the amp.

Keep in mind that while adding subwoofers will drastically increase the bass of a system that is otherwise stock, it will quickly drown out those stock speakers that will have a hard time being heard...bass alone doesn't sound very good or have much detail all by itself without a great set of speakers to round things out, so that means upgrading front speakers (the most important part of the system that plays more than 80% of frequencies you hear) and amplifying them will be a must if you want good sound. You may want to factor another amp in when running power wires- choosing a kit large enough to support it will save work when all is said and done.
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2015, 01:12 AM   #3
BaC0nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
Those are not 4 ohm subwoofers, they are dual 4 ohm voice coil subwoofers. You would wire them like this, for a 1 ohm load to the amplifier:

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...2&I=42#results

^^ wire them as per option #1

For your enclosure, most of the time having the woofer cones and the port installed on the same plane and aimed back at the license plate results in more bass energy/output when heard at the front seat- having them on different planes like in your diagram typically only works well in certain shaped vehicle interiors, and can have a bunch of that sound get converted to mechanical energy (rattles, vibrations) due to cancellation rather than maximizing what is heard up front. You can get by with one terminal cup if you wire the subwoofers together as per the diagram inside your enclosure, then run one pair of wires from the terminal's positive post to the positive speaker terminal on the amp and from the negative post to the negative speaker terminal on the amp.

Keep in mind that while adding subwoofers will drastically increase the bass of a system that is otherwise stock, it will quickly drown out those stock speakers that will have a hard time being heard...bass alone doesn't sound very good or have much detail all by itself without a great set of speakers to round things out, so that means upgrading front speakers (the most important part of the system that plays more than 80% of frequencies you hear) and amplifying them will be a must if you want good sound. You may want to factor another amp in when running power wires- choosing a kit large enough to support it will save work when all is said and done.
I will try to find a new enclosure design. I found those blueprints on the sundownaudio site. I'm assuming you mean a design like this: http://i.imgur.com/Fe3t5Ds.jpg or http://i.imgur.com/XbzKM.jpg.

*Is this correct? http://i.imgur.com/07GeSSn.png

Last edited by BaC0nz; 07-28-2015 at 02:12 AM.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:41 AM   #4
MOSFET

MOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Basicxj. From your other post, it appears you want to add subs and a sub amp to your stock system with no upgrades to that system.

Bass is FUN, don't get me wrong, it is what got me into car audio and I still love to play a little Bass Mekanik now and again. But a subwoofer system like what you are proposing will be FAR louder than what your stock system is able to play. You should also be looking at upgrading some of the components that make up your front stage, as a start. The addition of good aftermarket speakers and an amplifier to drive them will ensure your car is not simply a "bass box".

MOSFET
MOSFET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2015, 02:09 AM   #5
BaC0nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOSFET View Post
I agree with Basicxj. From your other post, it appears you want to add subs and a sub amp to your stock system with no upgrades to that system.

Bass is FUN, don't get me wrong, it is what got me into car audio and I still love to play a little Bass Mekanik now and again. But a subwoofer system like what you are proposing will be FAR louder than what your stock system is able to play. You should also be looking at upgrading some of the components that make up your front stage, as a start. The addition of good aftermarket speakers and an amplifier to drive them will ensure your car is not simply a "bass box".

MOSFET
Sadly I am working with a small budget of about $400-$500. I can change my build. I like bass but I still want to be able to hear my vocals clearly. I primarily listen to rap and rock.

I was thinking maybe I could create a build like this:
  • Pair of front door speakers
  • Decent Subwoofer
  • Custom enclosure to save $
  • Amp
  • Wiring Kit

All that for under $500.

Last edited by BaC0nz; 07-28-2015 at 02:23 AM.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:53 AM   #6
MOSFET

MOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond repute

WEll sure you can, ESPECIALLY IF YOU DON'T MIND BUYING USED. I use Craig's List for my work, so as kind of an experiment, I bought EVERYTHING (I MEAN EVERYTHING) in my current system off of CL (also, of course, I did it to save money. If you are not adverse to buying used, it is AMAZING the deals you can find. Unlike Ebay, most folks on CR are looking to only get a few bucks for things lying around in their garage, they are not doing this for a living. Also, you can test everything first.

Things like amplifiers, processors, caps, cables, etc. with no moving parts can last DECADES.

I spent a TOTAL of $340 for my entire system. Subs, HU, HU, 5 amplifiers (I am not even using one at the time), and all door speakers were bought on CR. EVERYTHING worked perfectly, in fact, two sets of speakers were brand new. Here is my system: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/408322...mazda-protege/

BUT, you have to be pretty comfortable with your installation skills of course. And, you have to REALLY know what you want as there is obviously no taking anything back. But it is a way to get far more, or far better quality stuff than what you imagined within your budget.
M

Old 07-28-2015, 02:56 AM   #7
BaC0nz

Quote:
WEll sure you can, ESPECIALLY IF YOU DON'T MIND BUYING USED. I use Craig's List for my work, so as kind of an experiment, I bought EVERYTHING (I MEAN EVERYTHING) in my current system off of CL (also, of course, I did it to save money. If you are not adverse to buying used, it is AMAZING the deals you can find. Unlike Ebay, most folks on CR are looking to only get a few bucks for things lying around in their garage, they are not doing this for a living. Also, you can test everything first.

Things like amplifiers, processors, caps, cables, etc. with no moving parts can last DECADES.

I spent a TOTAL of $340 for my entire system. Subs, HU, HU, 5 amplifiers (I am not even using one at the time), and all door speakers were bought on CR. EVERYTHING worked perfectly, in fact, two sets of speakers were brand new. Here is my system: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/408322...mazda-protege/

BUT, you have to be pretty comfortable with your installation skills of course. And, you have to REALLY know what you want as there is obviously no taking anything back. But it is a way to get far more, or far better quality stuff than what you imagined within your budget.
M
Unfortunately I am a noob and I have never done anything with car audio before. I would prefer NEW equipment + warranties.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:35 AM   #8
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sadly I am working with a small budget of about $400-$500. I can change my build. I like bass but I still want to be able to hear my vocals clearly. I primarily listen to rap and rock.

I was thinking maybe I could create a build like this:
  • Pair of front door speakers
  • Decent Subwoofer
  • Custom enclosure to save $
  • Amp
  • Wiring Kit

All that for under $500.
I would say if you care about results, you'd have to buy used.
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2015, 05:25 PM   #9
BaC0nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
I would say if you care about results, you'd have to buy used.
I really don't want to buy used products. However I am aware of how much better of a system I could get. I'm sure I could do a budget build, hell it won't sound the greatest but I need money for college and my car payments.

I was thinking something like this:
  • 2 Cheap 12's w/ front door speakers
  • 1 Decent 12 w/ front door speakers
  • 2 Decent 12's without front door speakers (purchase speakers way later)
Would a build like this work?TOTAL= $315. That would leave about $185 for front door speakers.
ORTOTAL= $417. That would leave about $83 for front door speakers.

Last edited by BaC0nz; 07-28-2015 at 06:54 PM.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #10
MOSFET

Quote:
I really don't want to buy used products. However I am aware of how much better of a system I could get. I'm sure I could do a budget build, hell it won't sound the greatest but I need money for college and my car payments.

I was thinking something like this:
  • 2 Cheap 12's w/ front door speakers
  • 1 Decent 12 w/ front door speakers
  • 2 Decent 12's without front door speakers (purchase speakers way later)
Would a build like this work?TOTAL= $315

That would leave about $185 for front door speakers.
I would ALWAYS suggest getting best you can NOW, and upgrading as funds become available.

I can't tell you HOW MANY TIMES I had "wished I had done something else" when I bought my first decent aftermarket system for my car. I had always been interested in car/home audio, with modest systems of both. But after graduating from college, I FINALLY had the funds to indulge my hobbies. I budgeted $1500 including installation (this was 1989 keep in mind). I went to MAgnolia Hi-Fi in Beaverton Oregon and I discovered I was pretty much a noob when it came to car audio.

The folks there did the best they could, giving me a system that included a 12" ported woofer, a CD Kenwood pullout, a Fosgate Punch 45 for the sub and an Alpine 3522 amp to power my front speakers, a set of Alpine coaxials. Deck powering the rears.

With the exception of the HU which I kept for about 6 years, EVERYTHING in this system was upgraded in the next two years. Basically, I ended up with a lot of gear I didn't need and back then there was no Ebay or CR.

Had I just GONE SLOWER, done more research over time, I would not have wasted so much money.

Now it's important to point out, after that first system, I sort of caught the car audio "bug". I began buying car audio magazines to try and educate myself about all the products out there and the "right" way to do things. I believe most other people would have been happy with that first system and left well enough alone.

So you should be asking yourself the same question. JUST HOW IMPORTANT IS SOUND QUALITY IN THE CAR TO YOU. For me, I WANT a rolling concert hall, or a rolling techno-dance-club. I want my system to be like the very best headphones, but worn over the entire body. And you know what, THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE TODAY. MY wife is sick of me saying it, but after hearing over a 1000 systems in my life, I believe not only is this the best system I have ever built, but ONE OF THE BEST SYSTEMS I HAVE EVER HEARD!!!!!

But car audio is a FANTASTIC hobby, IMHO. Every system is unique and individual. No two are the same. It is the creativity and ingenuity that makes it interesting to me.
M

Old 07-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #11
BaC0nz

Quote:
I would ALWAYS suggest getting best you can NOW, and upgrading as funds become available.

I can't tell you HOW MANY TIMES I had "wished I had done something else" when I bought my first decent aftermarket system for my car. I had always been interested in car/home audio, with modest systems of both. But after graduating from college, I FINALLY had the funds to indulge my hobbies. I budgeted $1500 including installation (this was 1989 keep in mind). I went to MAgnolia Hi-Fi in Beaverton Oregon and I discovered I was pretty much a noob when it came to car audio.

The folks there did the best they could, giving me a system that included a 12" ported woofer, a CD Kenwood pullout, a Fosgate Punch 45 for the sub and an Alpine 3522 amp to power my front speakers, a set of Alpine coaxials. Deck powering the rears.

With the exception of the HU which I kept for about 6 years, EVERYTHING in this system was upgraded in the next two years. Basically, I ended up with a lot of gear I didn't need and back then there was no Ebay or CR.

Had I just GONE SLOWER, done more research over time, I would not have wasted so much money.

Now it's important to point out, after that first system, I sort of caught the car audio "bug". I began buying car audio magazines to try and educate myself about all the products out there and the "right" way to do things. I believe most other people would have been happy with that first system and left well enough alone.

So you should be asking yourself the same question. JUST HOW IMPORTANT IS SOUND QUALITY IN THE CAR TO YOU. For me, I WANT a rolling concert hall, or a rolling techno-dance-club. I want my system to be like the very best headphones, but worn over the entire body. And you know what, THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE TODAY. MY wife is sick of me saying it, but after hearing over a 1000 systems in my life, I believe not only is this the best system I have ever built, but ONE OF THE BEST SYSTEMS I HAVE EVER HEARD!!!!!

But car audio is a FANTASTIC hobby, IMHO. Every system is unique and individual. No two are the same. It is the creativity and ingenuity that makes it interesting to me.
M
Well for my car I would like to get the most reliable and best sounding system I can get for $400-500. I don't plan on making any further upgrades down the road. I have 4-5 years of college ahead of me and I would like to spend my money on other things.

I'm much more interested in computers. For example I would easily spend another $500 on my PC. Sadly my parents won't let me blare music in the house. So I'd rather blare music in my car.

In that regard I would like to purchase the best system I can within my budget. Sure I could buy used equipment but I'd rather have new + warranties.

I am a complete noob. Installing aftermarket speakers might be quiet difficult for me. Not to mention my parents probably won't let me take my door apart (since I just bought the car) to install them .

Overall I am almost satisfied with my current car audio. I am just looking for a little bit more bass. However I don't want to drown out the vocals.

Last edited by BaC0nz; 07-28-2015 at 07:36 PM.