CarAudioForum.com

Old 06-16-2017, 09:24 PM   #46
noxas

noxas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
http://www.sundownaudio.com/index.ph...tem/ev3-series

You can use the specs and a piece of enclosure design software to come up with one that will allow them to shine.

So ive got the 2 e12s. total came to about 280 cad? + had to drive over the border. Im figuring out box designs but too be honest im entirely lost.

Am i doubling the specs on the site since i have two? And since recommended is 32hz however my amp starts at 40hz; how much does this affect what im putting in?
noxas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2017, 11:47 PM   #47
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxas View Post
So ive got the 2 e12s. total came to about 280 cad? + had to drive over the border. Im figuring out box designs but too be honest im entirely lost.

Am i doubling the specs on the site since i have two? And since recommended is 32hz however my amp starts at 40hz; how much does this affect what im putting in?
If they give specs for a single-woofer enclosure, you'll need double the internal volume for two. You'll want to factor in woofer displacement as well.

What do you mean your amp "starts at 40hz"? Which amplifier?
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2017, 11:52 PM   #48
noxas

MTX thunder 4501; ive been reading though. Typically i should be tuning the amp between 60-100 right? and the box is something different entirely?

Old 06-16-2017, 11:54 PM   #49
noxas

E12 v.3
Sealed 1.0 ft^3
Ported 1.75 ft^3
Displacement 0.12 ft^3
Depth 6 1/2"
Outside Diameter 12 1/4"
Cut-Out 11 1/8"
Recommended Tuning 32hz
Recommended Port Area 28 in^2

These are the specs they are giving; so im doubling everything pretty much? Im pretty much just reading through google pages and putting in figures into Torres tuning calculator. What does the depth 6 1/2 mean?

Old 06-17-2017, 12:29 AM   #50
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
E12 v.3
Sealed 1.0 ft^3
Ported 1.75 ft^3
Displacement 0.12 ft^3
Depth 6 1/2"
Outside Diameter 12 1/4"
Cut-Out 11 1/8"
Recommended Tuning 32hz
Recommended Port Area 28 in^2

These are the specs they are giving; so im doubling everything pretty much? Im pretty much just reading through google pages and putting in figures into Torres tuning calculator. What does the depth 6 1/2 mean?
Double the volume, double the woofer displacement, keep the tuning. 6.5" will be subwoofer depth. You'll want to add an inch to an inch and a half to the depth so you get good flow through the pole vent (on woofers that use a pole vent for cooling). That means 3.5 cubic feet of internal volume, plus .24 cubic feet to account for displacement of both woofers.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-fkhWTM...l#&gid=1&pid=3

That "thing" that starts @ 40hz is your low pass crossover. Set that around 80hz and experiment up/down a bit from there to keep subwoofer suitable frequencies being the ones you feed to your sub.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:41 AM   #51
noxas

So essentially I'm looking at 3.5 cubic feet right? And in regards to the depth of the box I'm looking at like 8"? Or am I doing that in correctly because that seems small

Old 06-17-2017, 12:51 AM   #52
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
So essentially I'm looking at 3.5 cubic feet right? And in regards to the depth of the box I'm looking at like 8"? Or am I doing that in correctly because that seems small
You'd want at least 8" depth. 3.74 cubic feet internal volume to account for woofer displacement. If the box ends up being deeper when manipulating the dimensions to fit in the space you have to work with, that's fine too- 8" would be a minimum so you don't choke flow through the pole vent and have issues with cooling.

You can manipulate the volume up and down slightly and model the response of the woofers in various size enclosures, but the optimum volume should play nice and low without any odd peaks in response you'd get going smaller. Seeing as how your amp doesn't seem to have a subsonic filter, low tuning is a good thing.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:03 AM   #53
noxas

Quote:
You'd want at least 8" depth. 3.74 cubic feet internal volume to account for woofer displacement. If the box ends up being deeper when manipulating the dimensions to fit in the space you have to work with, that's fine too- 8" would be a minimum so you don't choke flow through the pole vent and have issues with cooling.

You can manipulate the volume up and down slightly and model the response of the woofers in various size enclosures, but the optimum volume should play nice and low without any odd peaks in response you'd get going smaller. Seeing as how your amp doesn't seem to have a subsonic filter, low tuning is a good thing.
The one thing throwing me off is how do I had the displacement in this application for the wall from the port?
Not sure what it's called but the wall inside the box itself? Is there anywhere here I put it
http://i40.tinypic.com/mrbvax.jpg

Old 06-17-2017, 01:05 AM   #54
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

I'n not the ported box guru- pretty much always go sealed myself, and used other software for the ported ones I have built.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:06 AM   #55
noxas

Hmm well this helps a lot regardless. I'll play around and see what I can do. Goal is to build it this weekend

Old 06-17-2017, 04:20 AM   #56
noxas

so I have no idea how to build this box. Im just realizing how tiny my trunk actually is. I drive a bmw e46 and these are the specs i have.

Trunk opening is 40" X 17".

Trunk width (inside) at it's greatest distance is 50", and at its smallest is 30" (because it tapers, rear to forward).

Trunk depth is 37".

Trunk height is 17".

so pretty much 17x17x30 is the most i can work with from what i gather otherwise it just wont fit.

Last edited by noxas; 06-17-2017 at 05:21 AM.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:01 PM   #57
noxas

Quote:
I'n not the ported box guru- pretty much always go sealed myself, and used other software for the ported ones I have built.
What software are you using?

Old 06-17-2017, 09:31 PM   #58
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
What software are you using?
I've used this:

http://www.ht-audio.com/pages/BassBoxPro.html

...and this:

http://www.ht-audio.com/pages/BassBoxPro.html

Old 06-24-2017, 01:09 AM   #59
noxas

Thumbs up

Thabks for all the help! I messed up one of my pieces and need to get it recur tommorow at Home Depot but hopefully this box will be done by this weekend. Biggest drawback right now is finding a jig saw or something to cut the holes for the subs but if I can get that hopefully everything will be done by end of weekend will post pics when done! Thanks again

Old 06-24-2017, 01:10 AM   #60
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

I scored a relatively inexpensive jigsaw from Home Depot, has come in handy for a few projects already

You can use a compass to draw your cutout hole diameter, start with a few carefully drilled holes and jigsaw the MDF out pretty quickly. You can also use a router for a cleaner cutout.

Good luck.