CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Subwoofers

Old 02-16-2017, 12:36 PM   #1
gage67M

gage67M is on a distinguished road

Digital designs 2010's and a MTX thuderform

I'm thinking about getting two DD 2010 series sub to put in a unloaded sealed Mtx thuderform under the back seat of my 09 ram 3500 quad cab. The box claims 7" of mounting depth per sub and .75 cubic feet per sub. The subs are 500 RMS and require .4-.8 cubic feet so I figure they would be a awesome fit for it. Does anyone have experience with these subs and the thunderstorms? I've only had experience with DD 3512 and 9512. I'm looking to get some excellent sound and good hump with these two 2010's
gage67M is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 02-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
gage67M

Another option is an Atrend fiberglass box with .8 cubic feet per chamber and 7&1/2 inches of mounting depth

Old 02-17-2017, 12:43 PM   #3
ckeeler11

ckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of light

I had a thunderforms box with 2x 10's in it many many moons ago. It performed okay. i think they are expensive for what they.
ckeeler11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2017, 03:19 PM   #4
gage67M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeeler11 View Post
I had a thunderforms box with 2x 10's in it many many moons ago. It performed okay. i think they are expensive for what they.
They seemed pricey to me, ive also been looking at a enclosure from atrend that has better mounting depth. Right now im trying to find out on the output of these subs and if they're truly a 500rms sub or if they're like the power tuned and are underrated.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:38 PM   #5
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

A reputable manufacturer's thermal power handling specs are usually pretty accurate, in that if there are signs damage is caused by thermal means for warranty purposes they know you have been using more than rated power or had gains cranked (i.e. user error). Such damage is not from a defect in materials or workmanship.

With that said, in the right hands most subwoofers can be fed more than rated power when used in an enclosure that allows them to handle their full rated power, gains are set correctly, bass boost is avoided and (most importantly) they are used with common sense and some attention to warning signs. A hot/burning smell, distortion, mechanical noises, a sub that stops getting louder as volume is increased, excessive amounts of excursion are all signs you'll want to turn things down quickly. Common sense with the volume knob goes a long way.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2017, 05:59 PM   #6
ckeeler11

ckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of light

I definitely would not be afraid to thrown rated at those in a small sealed box.
ckeeler11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2017, 06:30 PM   #7
gage67M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeeler11 View Post
I definitely would not be afraid to thrown rated at those in a small sealed box.
I'd be more likely to throw more at them. I know these aren't exactly an equivalent to boss or dual audio here, defiantly not from how I've seen my 3512 and 9512j act, they sounded very good for being SPL oriented. But I'd really like for these two subs to have a better sound to them and still be able to shake some seat. I don't expect a SPL type output but I do want them to at least output like my buddies subs. For a single 12 under a seat that little TW3 is a beast. of course though it's all install.