CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 02-14-2017, 10:52 PM   #1
gopeman

gopeman is on a distinguished road

False Wall Effecting Sound Quality

Hey all! I got in contact with a local subwoofer box builder here in SE Michigan and he had a concern regarding my request. So basically, I have a single 12" Alpine Type-R that I want in an ported enclosure built to spec. I also want a false wall to make it look like it's part of the car. Like this but with a single 12, port placement doesn't matter but I would like it to be the side or the top of the box so it's hidden. He said that he's unsure about how it'll sound because the sound might be trapped inside the trunk because of the false wall. I don't care about the port placement if it's going to improve the sound quality if it's facing the front. However, I would like the false wall/beauty panel. Is there anything I can do to make it sound better or am I better off just ditching the false wall as a whole? I don't mind if it reduces sound quality by a little. Any input is greatly appreciated!
gopeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 02-15-2017, 01:29 AM   #2
bassfreak

Freestyle GOD

bassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond repute

More than likely a ton of phase issues and limited output
bassfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2017, 04:41 AM   #3
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

At least you have a good installer/builder and he knows your port placement is likely to cause issues. If I were going to do a wall like that, I would front fire the sub and port.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2017, 11:27 AM   #4
gopeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfreak View Post
More than likely a ton of phase issues and limited output
Is that the case with all false wall builds? I figured it wouldn't be a big issue at all since I see them a lot on high end installs.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopeman View Post
Is that the case with all false wall builds? I figured it wouldn't be a big issue at all since I see them a lot on high end installs.
It's the placement of the port. Generally, we want to get the port and sub on the same plane. We definitely don't want to put two different sources of sound on different sides of that wall.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #6
ckeeler11

ckeeler11 is a jewel in the roughckeeler11 is a jewel in the roughckeeler11 is a jewel in the roughckeeler11 is a jewel in the rough

I think the best way to do it would be to run ports through the rear deck and completely seal off the trunk.
ckeeler11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #7
buddha73

buddha73 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha73 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha73 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha73 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha73 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha73 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha73 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha73 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha73 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha73 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha73 has a reputation beyond repute

i mean i know it may not be as aesthetically pleasing maybe, but if you have just a single type r, couldn't you build the enclosure to just one side of the trunk? you can still have that awesome "factory installed" look, and still keep everything easy to build and model up.
buddha73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #8
gopeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha73 View Post
i mean i know it may not be as aesthetically pleasing maybe, but if you have just a single type r, couldn't you build the enclosure to just one side of the trunk? you can still have that awesome "factory installed" look, and still keep everything easy to build and model up.
Only reason I didn't want to go for a custom fiberglass enclosure is because it's pretty pricey. Even then, wouldn't it be better off in a ported enclosure with the correct airspace since the Type-Rs play best ported?

Old 02-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #9
gopeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
It's the placement of the port. Generally, we want to get the port and sub on the same plane. We definitely don't want to put two different sources of sound on different sides of that wall.
Okay that makes sense. I'm going to meet with the builder soon to discuss the design further but this was great help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeeler11 View Post
I think the best way to do it would be to run ports through the rear deck and completely seal off the trunk.
A few users on Acurazine suggested that an IB enclosure would be the best for my setup. I'm not too entirely sure how'd that sound since I listed to mainly hip-hop music. Any inputs on this design?

Old 02-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #10
Jimi77

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopeman View Post
Okay that makes sense. I'm going to meet with the builder soon to discuss the design further but this was great help!

A few users on Acurazine suggested that an IB enclosure would be the best for my setup. I'm not too entirely sure how'd that sound since I listed to mainly hip-hop music. Any inputs on this design?
I like IB set ups, but for hip-hop and assuming you already have the sub, then ported is the way to go.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:18 PM   #11
ckeeler11

ckeeler11 is a jewel in the roughckeeler11 is a jewel in the roughckeeler11 is a jewel in the roughckeeler11 is a jewel in the rough

nvm........

Old 02-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #12
gopeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
I like IB set ups, but for hip-hop and assuming you already have the sub, then ported is the way to go.
Yes, I already have the sub. Thanks!

Old 02-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #13
ckeeler11

So the box in the link you originally posted does not have a false wall. the box was just built to fit the space available. If you do that you can fire the port and the sub back and not have any issues. Nothing really special.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:57 PM   #14
SPL_Krayzie112

SPL_Krayzie112 will become famous soon enough

Try positioning the port top-firing and coming out of the rear deck (where the rear glass is). Just remove the deck itself and bass should flow into the cabin.
SPL_Krayzie112 is offline   Reply With Quote