CarAudioForum.com

Old 12-04-2016, 11:49 PM   #1
mossman

mossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura about

Test Tones at -10dB?

I bought a test disc to set my gains (Lasertrak 2000) and all of the tones are at -10dB. Why is this? If I set my gains using -10dB tones, I'll be clipping when I play normal tracks/music will I not?
mossman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 12-05-2016, 12:05 AM   #2
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman View Post
I bought a test disc to set my gains (Lasertrak 2000) and all of the tones are at -10dB. Why is this? If I set my gains using -10dB tones, I'll be clipping when I play normal tracks/music will I not?
You'll be clipping when you're 9db from max volume. It looks like you opted for a very inexpensive test disc. You would have been better off dropping the ~$80-150 that a quality test disc costs.

Check out Auto Sound's My Disc (aka Disc 3) or Alan Parsons & Stephen Courts Sound Check.
Jimi77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2016, 12:10 AM   #3
SPL_Krayzie112

SPL_Krayzie112 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
You probably have/need a potentiometer.
SPL_Krayzie112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2016, 12:34 AM   #4
mossman

mossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura about

But why would someone set their gains using -10dB test tones, then play their regular music with levels up to 0dB at which point they would clip. That's what I don't understand.

BTW, I've been setting my gains with the head unit at full volume (it does not clip at max volume). Is this the incorrect way to do it? Most procedures I've read online say to set the HU to 3/4, but figured it made sense to do it at full volume to ensure I never clip.

Last edited by mossman; 12-05-2016 at 11:29 AM.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But why would someone set their gains using -10dB test tones, then play their regular music with levels up to 0dB at which point they would clip. That's what I don't understand.

BTW, I've been setting my gains with the head unit at full volume (it does not clip at max volume). Is this the incorrect way to do it? Most procedures I've read online say to set the HU to 3/4, but figured it made sense to do it at full volume to ensure I never clip.
You wouldn't set your gains with a -10db test tone. That disc provides a 1khz and 315hz test tone at 0db, but those are useless for setting a subwoofer gain. Like I said, you'd be better off investing in a quality test CD.

I set the gains at a little below max volume so you have a little room left on the rare occasions when you have a recording that is recorded below 0db.

Last edited by Jimi77; 12-05-2016 at 11:52 AM.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:23 PM   #6
mossman

Quote:
You wouldn't set your gains with a -10db test tone. That disc provides a 1khz and 315hz test tone at 0db, but those are useless for setting a subwoofer gain. Like I said, you'd be better off investing in a quality test CD.
Okay. I'll look for another disc then. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

Quote:
I set the gains at a little below max volume so you have a little room left on the rare occasions when you have a recording that is recorded below 0db.
Makes sense. Thanks.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:48 AM   #7
Dan B

Dan B is a jewel in the roughDan B is a jewel in the roughDan B is a jewel in the rough

Or you could use an app from your phone to generate test tones. I use one for I phone called signal generator it will to any tone you want from -48db to 0db as well as sweeps, pink noise, white noise and a lot of other stuff. It was like $10. And it will play on my phone witch is also the same source that my music is played on so the source level is the same. My understanding of why people use -10db test tones to set gains (mainly subwoofer gains) is because of music recording levels. Not all music is recorded at the same level and if you use 0db tones to tune and then play a song or album that is recorded at a lower level you loose the abulity to compinsate with the volume. You do run more of a risk of clipping so it's up to you witch is more important to you. i would use 0db for mids and highs. I think there are more susceptible to damage from clipping.? A good sub could probably handle a little clipping

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9qjj7olpk...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
Dan B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2017, 01:16 AM   #8
SPL_Krayzie112

Quote:
Just burn your cd tracks @ 72 dB or 75 dB.

RTA might help better.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #9
Jimi77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL_Krayzie112 View Post
Just burn your cd tracks @ 72 dB or 75 dB.

RTA might help better.
Generally tracks are burnt at 0db or lower....

Old 03-05-2017, 07:33 PM   #10
SPL_Krayzie112

Talking about a normalizer...which system of measure are you guys talking about anyway?