CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 12-02-2014, 12:03 AM   #1
emfortafix

emfortafix is on a distinguished road

bought two subs, need to know which amp goes best

hey there, ive posted once before about getting a car audio setup, and ended up deciding on getting two 12" pioneer dual 4 ohm subs(purchased and delivered< yay! )http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...PRO/TS-W3003D4

i was originally going to get a 1 ohm stable 1400 watt amp for these, but im not too good on the whole ohm and watt thing, and since these say 2 ohm impendance(trying to figure out what that means)

i was wondering what amp i should get to power these two properly. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...RX1400.1D.html this was the amp i was planning on getting when i had an understanding of running at 1 ohm but now i really have no idea what im supposed to do with 2 ohm impendance and if it can run at its best with 1 ohm or if i need to up the wattage max two run them each on two ohms or whatever on the amp for the best and healthiest sound.

thanks in advance

-Em4
emfortafix is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 12-02-2014, 12:16 AM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by emfortafix View Post
hey there, ive posted once before about getting a car audio setup, and ended up deciding on getting two 12" pioneer dual 4 ohm subs(purchased and delivered< yay! )http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...PRO/TS-W3003D4

i was originally going to get a 1 ohm stable 1400 watt amp for these, but im not too good on the whole ohm and watt thing, and since these say 2 ohm impendance(trying to figure out what that means)

i was wondering what amp i should get to power these two properly. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...RX1400.1D.html this was the amp i was planning on getting when i had an understanding of running at 1 ohm but now i really have no idea what im supposed to do with 2 ohm impendance and if it can run at its best with 1 ohm or if i need to up the wattage max two run them each on two ohms or whatever on the amp for the best and healthiest sound.

thanks in advance

-Em4
The Hifonics amp will be unreliable, won't last long...I wouldn't waste your money.

Those dual 4 ohm woofers can each be wired to present a 2 ohm load (parallel) or an 8 ohm load (series). A pair of those woofers can wire to 4 ohms (series/parallel) or 1 ohm (parallel/parallel). It will be the most affordable route to find an amplifier that does the needed power of 1200 watts RMS into a 1 ohm load. A 2 ohm final impedance is not possible with a pair of DVC 4 ohm subs.

https://www.woofersetc.com/p-10675-p...amplifier.aspx

^^ more watts than you really need, but less likely to go into permanent "protection" mode like the Hifonics will.

Pro tip: next time, research here on the forum before buying woofers .
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2014, 12:18 AM   #3
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...2&I=42#results

Old 12-02-2014, 12:27 AM   #4
emfortafix

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
The Hifonics amp will be unreliable, won't last long...I wouldn't waste your money.

Those dual 4 ohm woofers can each be wired to present a 2 ohm load (parallel) or an 8 ohm load (series). A pair of those woofers can wire to 4 ohms (series/parallel) or 1 ohm (parallel/parallel). It will be the most affordable route to find an amplifier that does the needed power of 1200 watts RMS into a 1 ohm load. A 2 ohm final impedance is not possible with a pair of DVC 4 ohm subs.

https://www.woofersetc.com/p-10675-p...amplifier.aspx

^^ more watts than you really need, but less likely to go into permanent "protection" mode like the Hifonics will.

Pro tip: next time, research here on the forum before buying woofers .

Hey basic, you did help me out earlier and recommended buying the jbl subs, which i went for, but that didnt end up working out. So i got these two. i REALLY appreciated the prior help though! without it i would have been super confused.

So i will go ahead and purchase the amp that you just linked instead of the hifonics. i just had no idea if i could run these at 1 ohm safely or if the 2 ohm impendance thing meant something otherwise.

so running them at the 1 ohm thing is safe and efficient for the speakers/will provide a good sound?

thanks again, you're awesome!

-Em4

Last edited by emfortafix; 12-02-2014 at 12:35 AM.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:34 AM   #5
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
Hey basic, you did help me out earlier and recommended buying the jbl subs, which i went for, but that didnt end up working out. So i got these two. i REALLY appreciated the prior help though! without it i would have been super confused.

So i will go ahead and purchase the amp that you just linked instead of the hifonics. i just had no idea if i could run these at 1 ohm safely or if the 2 ohm impendance thing meant something otherwise.

thanks again, you're awesome!

-Em4
One DVC 4 ohm woofer can be wired to either 2 or 8 ohms...a pair of them can be wired to 1 or 4 ohms.

If you can find a 1 ohm stable amp in your price range, it is cheaper to come up with 1200 watts RMS +/- at 1 ohm as you would have to over-buy to get that same power at 4 ohms.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:17 AM   #6
emfortafix

ok, so being wired at 1 ohm isnt bad for the speakers or anything correct?

and im assuming the soundstream you linked me to is a great amplifier.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:24 AM   #7
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
ok, so being wired at 1 ohm isnt bad for the speakers or anything correct?

and im assuming the soundstream you linked me to is a great amplifier.
I cannot understand why wiring up a 1 ohm load to an amplifier that is designed to be run at 1 ohm and produces the correct amount of power at that impedance would be a bad thing .

No, I wouldn't call that a "great" amplifier, but for the budget it is certainly an allright budget amp that should sound OK, be stable at 1 ohm and give you more than enough clean power...if you want "great" you'd probably want to triple the budget (if not more), but then it would be wasted on the woofers you picked out as they'd release the magic smoke pretty quickly .

Old 12-02-2014, 02:28 AM   #8
emfortafix

Quote:
I cannot understand why wiring up a 1 ohm load to an amplifier that is designed to be run at 1 ohm and produces the correct amount of power at that impedance would be a bad thing .

No, I wouldn't call that a "great" amplifier, but for the budget it is certainly an allright budget amp that should sound OK, be stable at 1 ohm and give you more than enough clean power...if you want "great" you'd probably want to triple the budget (if not more), but then it would be wasted on the woofers you picked out as they'd release the magic smoke pretty quickly .

idk why it would either. i was just asking because i have no idea what im talking about when it comes to this stuff(trying to figure it out)

so a better amp would burn up my "****ty" woofers...?

Old 12-02-2014, 02:34 AM   #9
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
idk why it would either. i was just asking because i have no idea what im talking about when it comes to this stuff(trying to figure it out)

so a better amp would burn up my "****ty" woofers...?
This would be a better amp:

http://www.soundqubed.com/Q1-1200D-Amplifier_p_30.html

Still not into "great" territory, but it is one tier up from the Soundstream and also at a smokin' price. It has less RMS power than the Soundstream but is much more robust, better made. I would call it a better budget amplifier. Keep in mind you can pay well over a grand for similar power if you are in search of a great amp.

I didn't say your woofers are sh*tty, though I wouldn't have purchased them. I don't see the point in spending $600-1000 for a top quality amplifier for them when they will be the weak link in the chain. For what it is worth, you can burn up woofers like those Pioneers with less than rated power if the enclosure isn't optimum, you use too much gain, you use bass boost etc. and you won't need a top tier aka "great" amplifier to drive them.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:39 AM   #10
emfortafix

Quote:
This would be a better amp:

http://www.soundqubed.com/Q1-1200D-Amplifier_p_30.html

Still not into "great" territory, but it is one tier up from the Soundstream and also at a smokin' price. It has less RMS power than the Soundstream but is much more robust, better made. I would call it a better budget amplifier. Keep in mind you can pay well over a grand for similar power if you are in search of a great amp.

I didn't say your woofers are sh*tty, though I wouldn't have purchased them. I don't see the point in spending $600-1000 for a top quality amplifier for them when they will be the weak link in the chain. For what it is worth, you can burn up woofers like those Pioneers with less than rated power if the enclosure isn't optimum, you use too much gain, you use bass boost etc. and you won't need a top tier aka "great" amplifier to drive them.
THAT bad? jesus.... i mean should i return them if they are gonna F*ck me that bad?

Old 12-02-2014, 02:47 AM   #11
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
THAT bad? jesus.... i mean should i return them if they are gonna F*ck me that bad?
You might like them just fine, but you could have done so much better. If you are after great, then those are the wrong ticket. Do understand that a great audio system can set you back a lot of money, while a good bang per buck system cab be pieced together for under $1000. Will it bark with the big dogs? Probably not, but much like everything value diminishes as you ascend through the price points and has to fall in line with your expectations.

There are lots of great performing, good bang per buck products out there- the JBLs we recommended earlier fall into that category, and the price they can be had for belies the performance you'll see from them. The Pioneers won't compare all that well selling price aside. Will they make you happy? Hard to say considering what I know about you, but having heard most of what they offer I tend to never recommend them compared to other products that do a better job in the SQ and/or output side of things. Pioneer's head units are exceptional value and surprisingly good quality, but I have yet to hear speakers and subwoofers I like from them until you get into the Stage 4/JDM stuff that tends to cost a fortune, and even those get outperformed by other brands.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:48 AM   #12
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

PS- you can burn up most woofers with too much gain, use of bass boost and an improper enclosure .

Old 12-02-2014, 02:54 AM   #13
emfortafix

f*ck....well im bummin out a bit at this point. i mean the speakers look and feel great, but im sure that has nothing to do with anything. i read up on those jbl and people were constanly complaining of the center plastic breaking and rattling around, and every site that i went to aside from you pointed to these speakers.

I mean im really trying my best to keep the pricing low, but i dont want to **** myself over either.

at this point i have spent just under 200 on the subs, and have probably 300 left to work with, which includes needing to buy an amp and a box, and potentially a head unit. i could send these back to sonicelectronix and have a store credit of just under two hundred which would essentially leave me with 500 to work with overall..

idk man, this is stressful

EDIT: this is the original site i went to for subwoofer reviews http://car-subwoofer-review.toptenreviews.com
This site also had them on the top list:http://caraudionow.com/5540/best-car-subwoofers-2014/

Last edited by emfortafix; 12-02-2014 at 03:05 AM.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:41 AM   #14
reddude157

reddude157 has a reputation beyond reputereddude157 has a reputation beyond reputereddude157 has a reputation beyond reputereddude157 has a reputation beyond reputereddude157 has a reputation beyond reputereddude157 has a reputation beyond reputereddude157 has a reputation beyond reputereddude157 has a reputation beyond reputereddude157 has a reputation beyond reputereddude157 has a reputation beyond reputereddude157 has a reputation beyond repute

The sites that rated those subs must have only let people choose from the ones that are in the list cuss there are a lot of better subs out there and amps
reddude157 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2014, 03:45 AM   #15
emfortafix

well........what do you recommend i do at this point, since it seems as though you know what you are talking about