CarAudioForum.com

Old 09-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #1
xfoneguy

xfoneguy is on a distinguished road

Kenwood & Flashdrives

Hello Everyone,
I recently installed a new (for me anyway) Kenwood DNN991HD in my car. My problem is with using USB flash drives for my music. I have about 1100 tracks (.MP3 & .WMA) on a 16G SanDisk. If I copy all the tracks (without "albums" or folders) to the Root or a single folder, the unit only sees the first 255. I understand that is a limit of the software or OS. But, with other stereos, I have always been able to copy the tracks with their albums and then use "shuffle" or "random" playback with no problems. With this Kenwood though, it stays in the folder where it began and never leaves - in other words, it cannot playback randomly across folders or albums. Is this just the way this thing works, or is there some sort of glitch or defect? I've played my music as described with at least 3 other stereos in the past few years and this is the first time I've run into this.
Any ideas?
Thanks so much!
xfoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 09-21-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
monstermack77

monstermack77 is a glorious beacon of lightmonstermack77 is a glorious beacon of lightmonstermack77 is a glorious beacon of lightmonstermack77 is a glorious beacon of lightmonstermack77 is a glorious beacon of light

Yep, Kenwood units have the 255 songs per folder limitation.
And it's been a while since I used one, but I believe the shuffle option only works in the folder you select it.
I know other units give you multiple options when pressing the shuffle button like "all" or "folder" but I don't believe the Kenwoods do.

Many other brands have a 999 file per folder limit.
A few Pioneer units don't list a file per folder limit, only a total file limit of 15k.

But yeah, unfortunately, this is an area that Kenwood is far behind on.
monstermack77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2017, 03:04 PM   #3
xfoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermack77 View Post
Yep, Kenwood units have the 255 songs per folder limitation.
And it's been a while since I used one, but I believe the shuffle option only works in the folder you select it.
I know other units give you multiple options when pressing the shuffle button like "all" or "folder" but I don't believe the Kenwoods do.

Many other brands have a 999 file per folder limit.
A few Pioneer units don't list a file per folder limit, only a total file limit of 15k.

But yeah, unfortunately, this is an area that Kenwood is far behind on.
Thanks for that - I previously had a Pioneer AVIC model and never ran into this issue. In fact, between the Pioneer and Kenwood, I had a cheap "off-brand" unit and it also worked without a hitch. For some reason I thought I would be "upgrading" with Kenwood - silly me

Old 09-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #4
xfoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfoneguy View Post
Thanks for that - I previously had a Pioneer AVIC model and never ran into this issue. In fact, between the Pioneer and Kenwood, I had a cheap "off-brand" unit and it also worked without a hitch. For some reason I thought I would be "upgrading" with Kenwood - silly me
I'm even more surprised that there is no "random folder" option when using a flashdrive. That would seem like basic functionality to me.