CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 09-18-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
Kyq66

Kyq66 is on a distinguished road

Kenwood ddx794 in 08 dodge 2500

Im installing ddx794 into my truck and I have maestro rr box in order to retain steering wheel controls and ch2 wiring harness. I have everything plugged in that I can see that needs to be plugged in. The radio turns on, the maestro RR box powers up because i see the green light come on but no sound from speakers or sub. There are a lot of extra wires on the ch2 wiring harness that are not hooked up. Question is what wires are required and which are not used? The cable that connects the idatalink port from ddx794 to the maestro rr has a blue wire on one end and not connected to anything. I think it's blue with yellow stripe.

Last edited by Kyq66; 09-18-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Kyq66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 09-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #2
KaeZoo

KaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond repute

Did you download the installation instructions from Maestro's web site when you flashed the module, and did you verify whether your truck has a factory amp? If it does have the amp, did you program the module for factory amp control?

The cable you're describing is NOT the one for connecting the iDatalink port on the Kenwood to the Maestro RR module. The correct cable is black with a 4-pin plug on each end.
KaeZoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2017, 08:41 PM   #3
Kyq66

Oh yes my bad the cable with the blue wire has a 4 pin on one side and 3.5mm jack on the other. The truck does not have factory amp. The connectors on the ch2 are white to white black to black. I didn't uncheck the factory amp box before I flashed it. I didn't think it would matter since there's no amp. I had a hell of a time getting the maestro website to actually detect the RR. It kept saying recheck to make sure the correct cable was plugged in. It eventually flashed I'm assuming because the green light was lit while plugged into PC. On the back of the head unit next to idatalink port is a 3.5mm port that says I/F. What is that? There is also a cable with the maestro rr with 3pin connector and 3.5mm jack, is that used for anything? The other 2 ports on the Kenwood say Mic and iPod. Thanks

Old 09-18-2017, 10:48 PM   #4
KaeZoo

KaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond repute

If it flashed correctly, there should have been a progress bar and a "success" message on the web page; though if the head unit is turning on it sounds like it's programmed.

The cable with the 3-pin connector and the 3.5mm plug connects to the small 3.5mm jack next to the iDatlink port on the Kenwood. This carries the audio signal from the factory Uconnect features if any are being retained. The cable with the blue/yellow wire is used for decks with an analog steering wheel control connection; in your system this should be handled via data so the cable won't be used. The mic jack is for the microphone that's included with the Kenwood system; the iPod jack is used with at Kenwood iPod adapter cable. Otherwise it can be configured as an AV input.

If you're correct about the lack of a factory amp I'm not sure why you're not hearing audio; the speaker wires in the factory harness should be connected directly to the speakers in this case. You said you're not getting sound from your sub--are you installing an after-market amp and sub too?

Old 09-20-2017, 12:49 AM   #5
Kyq66

Yes I installed a kicker sub and dual amp last week to the factory radio and used a LOC and tapped off the rear speakers for signal. It worked great although its a weak sub and amp.

Yes I did see a flash complete message.

I guess worst case scenario, can I just get rid of the maestro rr box and lose the steering wheel controls? I believe that's the only reason it's needed, right?

Old 09-20-2017, 08:51 AM   #6
KaeZoo

The trouble is that, if you don't have a factory amp, you should be able to hear audio through your speakers and subs whether the Maestro unit is working properly or not. The CH2 harness connects the speaker outputs directly to the head unit--they don't run through the Maestro box. Your subwoofer should connect directly to the head unit's subwoofer outputs, and the Maestro doesn't affect it at all. It sounds like there's some other problem with the system.

In addition to the steering wheel controls, the Maestro RR piece does some other integration stuff like letting you display vehicle gauges on the head unit screen, letting you use the factory U-connect USB with the new head unit (if your truck is equipped with one), displaying tire pressure if you have TPMS, and letting you read and reset check engine lights through the head unit.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #7
Kyq66

Alright I got the sub working (had wrong aux cables plugged in since I ran extra set for LOC) so I only get sound from sub but none from the 7 infinity speakers. I can control the unit with the steering wheel controls so i know the maestro is working. The truck has u connect, so my phone is automatically connecting when I turn the key on. I unplugged the answer/end call button that was mounted on the dash, it plugged into a module to the right of the glove box. Do I need to get rid of the u connect module or is that even possible?

Old 09-20-2017, 07:37 PM   #8
Kyq66

Ok I'm getting closer. I found the factory amp in the truck, it did have one afterall. It seems like the amp is not getting a signal to turn on from the Kenwood unit. The Kenwood wire harness has a blue and yellow wire that says remote and is taped off. I tried hooking that wire to the blue and white wire on the ch2 harness but still nothing. I'm thinking i need to find the factory wire that signals the factory amp to turn on and connect that wire to the blue/yellow wire on the Kenwood unit ?

Old 09-20-2017, 07:39 PM   #9
Kyq66

.............. edit double post

Old 09-20-2017, 08:06 PM   #10
KaeZoo

Did you download the installation instructions from Maestro's web site? A lot of your questions can be answered there.

The blue/yellow from the Kenwood is the wired remote input, not the remote turn-on output to activate an amp. You need to have the blue/white wire from the CH2 harness connected to the blue/white wire from the Kenwood harness. There is no amplifier turn-on wire in the stock plug; newer Chrysler factory amps don't work like that. The factory amplifier is controlled via the data bus system, which is why you need an adapter like a Maestro to handle it for you.

Now that you know you have a factory amp, make sure you reverse the black and white connectors in the CH2 harness.

You shouldn't need to disconnect the Uconnect module. Just go into your phone's Bluetooth settings and unpair/forget Uconnect, and your phone won't automatically connect any more.

Installation manual:http://images.idatalink.com/corporat...N_20170802.pdf

Owner's guide: http://images.idatalink.com/corporat...N_20160628.pdf

Old 09-20-2017, 08:18 PM   #11
Kyq66

Figured it out. Stupid fix as usual. Had ch2 amp power wire crimped to wrong wire. Durrrr. Thanks for the help kaezoo