CarAudioForum.com

Old 07-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #16
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman View Post
I laid a beach towel across the dash and things got muddy. As soon as I removed it, there was a drastic improvement. Not going to move them just yet.
Muddy or just quieter? Generally, the towel trick should clean things up.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2017, 01:26 AM   #17
mossman

mossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura about

Quieter I suppose, but now what?
mossman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2017, 11:23 AM   #18
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quieter I suppose, but now what?
You need to get those tweeters aimed at you.

Based on your sunshade experiment and the towel test, I'd say your tweeters are reflecting off the glass and dash board and you're getting some serious cancellation. Getting them aimed at the listeners should improve things considerably.

Last edited by Jimi77; 07-10-2017 at 12:24 PM.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #19
mossman

mossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura about

Roger that. Looks like the easiest solution is going to be the sail panels. I found the angled pods that came with the speakers. They can be oriented for 30 degree and 60 degree angles. I'll be using the 30 degree orientation so they are aimed at the listener on the opposing side (driver side tweeter aimed at passenger's head and passenger side tweeter at driver's head). Something told me it wasn't going to be the last time I pulled the door panels off .

On second thought, maybe I'll mount them in the A pillars. Wires are already there. My only reason for not doing so is I think it will look funny to have the factory tweeter grills and an aftermarket pod above or on top of it. I suppose I could easily re-upholster the A pillars to conceal the factory grills. Some thin fabric and heavy duty 3M spray adhesive should do the trick.

Last edited by mossman; 07-10-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:18 PM   #20
Jimi77

Quote:
Roger that. Looks like the easiest solution is going to be the sail panels. I found the angled pods that came with the speakers. They can be oriented for 30 degree and 60 degree angles. I'll be using the 30 degree orientation so they are aimed at the listener on the opposing side (driver side tweeter aimed at passenger's head and passenger side tweeter at driver's head). Something told me it wasn't going to be the last time I pulled the door panels off .

On second thought, maybe I'll mount them in the A pillars. Wires are already there. My only reason for not doing so is I think it will look funny to have the factory tweeter grills and an aftermarket pod above or on top of it. I suppose I could easily re-upholster the A pillars to conceal the factory grills. Some thin fabric and heavy duty 3M spray adhesive should do the trick.
I'd pop the A-pillar off and see what you have to work with behind it. The A-pillar tends to be better than the sail panel. It's always best to run a length of wire and use some Velcro or poster putty and test the different locations.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #21
JohnBauder

JohnBauder is a jewel in the roughJohnBauder is a jewel in the roughJohnBauder is a jewel in the roughJohnBauder is a jewel in the rough

I was told to aim the tweets at a spot half way between the driver's and passenger's heads.
JohnBauder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #22
Jimi77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBauder View Post
I was told to aim the tweets at a spot half way between the driver's and passenger's heads.
You never know what will work best and there is aesthetics - ie I like to aim everything at me (fvck the passengers), but then your kickpanels or a-pillars aren't symmetrical.

No matter what, aiming the tweeters properly beats the hell out of trying to deflect the sound properly.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #23
mossman

Quote:
ie I like to aim everything at me (fvck the passengers)
Just about choked on my water

Old 07-11-2017, 06:46 PM   #24
Jimi77

Quote:
Just about choked on my water
So few people actually appreciate imaging, sound stage, relatively flat response, etc, so fvck 'em.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:24 PM   #25
JohnBauder

JohnBauder is a jewel in the roughJohnBauder is a jewel in the roughJohnBauder is a jewel in the roughJohnBauder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
So few people actually appreciate imaging, sound stage, relatively flat response, etc, so fvck 'em.
Can't argue with that.
JohnBauder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2017, 11:48 PM   #26
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBauder View Post
That is a starting point, sure, and then through experimentation you try different aiming from there to optimize the listening experience for one or both front seats.

Much like Jimi77, I bias the front stage image to the driver's seat when aiming. If the front seat passenger wants to contribute to the cost of the system heck, I'll be all about splitting the difference and shooting for something that is a compromise for both front seats, but most of my long-term passengers couldn't give a rat's *ss about sound the way I do (and haven't subsidized my audio system/enabled my audio addiction) .
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2017, 01:45 AM   #27
Jimi77

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
That is a starting point, sure, and then through experimentation you try different aiming from there to optimize the listening experience for one or both front seats.

Much like Jimi77, I bias the front stage image to the driver's seat when aiming. If the front seat passenger wants to contribute to the cost of the system heck, I'll be all about splitting the difference and shooting for something that is a compromise for both front seats, but most of my long-term passengers couldn't give a rat's *ss about sound the way I do (and haven't subsidized my audio system/enabled my audio addiction) .
LOL - if my wife give a flying shyt, I might be concerned about her listening experience. Given that my wife doesn't seem to hear anything I say, I suspect she's going deaf....

Old 07-16-2017, 11:07 PM   #28
mossman

Okay, I have the tweeters pointed towards the listening area and it sounds so much better. Before, it would sound better the more I leaned forward, but now it sounds best in my normal seating position. It looks a little odd with surface mount tweeters on the A pillars and the factory grills, so I'm still considering wrapping the pillar covers in some new fabric to conceal the factory grills. Any recommendations on where to get some decent cloth automotive upholstery? Come to think of it, I have an old rear deck lid that I replaced with a black one last year and could probably strip the fabric off of it for the pillars! Sweet.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:05 AM   #29
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Okay, I have the tweeters pointed towards the listening area and it sounds so much better. Before, it would sound better the more I leaned forward, but now it sounds best in my normal seating position. It looks a little odd with surface mount tweeters on the A pillars and the factory grills, so I'm still considering wrapping the pillar covers in some new fabric to conceal the factory grills. Any recommendations on where to get some decent cloth automotive upholstery? Come to think of it, I have an old rear deck lid that I replaced with a black one last year and could probably strip the fabric off of it for the pillars! Sweet.
You could match to the finish of the headliner, use vinyl, ultra-suede, leather or use some grille cloth to cover the pillar. There are a number of online sources, some with OEM color matched products.

http://www.speakerworks.com/speaker_...abric_s/25.htm

http://www.stockinteriors.com/headlinerfabric.asp
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #30
mossman

Thanks. I'll check those links out.