CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > UseNet Gateway > F.A.Q. > Subwoofers

Old 07-14-2002, 07:39 PM   #1
Lee

Administrator

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Can I use my subs in the winter?

Quote:
4.10 Can I use my subs in the winter? [MS]
The following applies to all speakers in extremely cold conditions, but the question most often occurs in reference to subwoofers.

The suspension of the speakers will stiffen considerably at very cold temperatures (lower than 30 degrees F). So will certain cone materials which may become more brittle.

If a very cold speaker is played very hard there is a small potential for damage because more stress is placed on the cone's neck. The likelihood of damage is minimal for well-constructed and well-designed automotive speakers, however.

Thermally, the danger is minimal because the ambient temperature and the coil temperature are so low that it is highly unlikely that a coil will overheat and burn, despite limited movement and ventilation.

At temperatures between +20 degrees F and 0 degrees F, it is a good idea to play the system at a moderate level until the car's heater has warmed the vehicle interior. As the speakers warm up, they will play louder and lower signifying that their suspensions are warming up and returning to nominal compliance.

If the temperature is extremely cold (less than 0 degrees F), you should avoid playing the system at all until the vehicle interior is warm. This is to avoid stress fractures in the surround material (especially with rubber surrounds).
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR