CarAudioForum.com

Old 01-09-2017, 09:13 PM   #1
Georgemk6

Georgemk6 is on a distinguished road

First build

Hello I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. So sorry for any missing information.

I currently have.

Speakers - 4x alpine spr 60 speakers (front and back door speakers)
Amp - Inphase IPA2041 2000w 4 channel
Head unit - pioneer sph-da120

So the question is could I parallel wire 4 speakers to channels 1 and 2 then wire an subwoofer to channels 3 and 4 if so what sub would be best. I was looking at a alpine 12" type r is this to much? What would you recommend?
Georgemk6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 01-09-2017, 10:48 PM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Let's move this to a more appropriate section- follow the redirect to "General"
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2017, 10:53 PM   #3
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgemk6 View Post
Hello I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. So sorry for any missing information.

I currently have.

So the question is could I parallel wire 4 speakers to channels 1 and 2 then wire an subwoofer to channels 3 and 4 if so what sub would be best. I was looking at a alpine 12" type r is this to much? What would you recommend?
Hint: the IPA2041 is not a "2000 watt" amp, no matter what the manufacturer might suggest. I doubt very much it would power a single Type R woofer very well (that woofer really needs a good 1000 watts RMS) as it would only provide a small fraction of the needed power, so you'd be better off buying a mono amp from a reputable manufacturer to power it. I would not recommend buying one from InPhase.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:54 AM   #4
Georgemk6

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
Hint: the IPA2041 is not a "2000 watt" amp, no matter what the manufacturer might suggest. I doubt very much it would power a single Type R woofer very well (that woofer really needs a good 1000 watts RMS) as it would only provide a small fraction of the needed power, so you'd be better off buying a mono amp from a reputable manufacturer to power it. I would not recommend buying one from InPhase.
Ok looks like the type r idea will have to wait then. What subwoofer would you suggest with my current Amp and speakers? Would I be better off connecting the back speakers to the head unit freeing up Channels 3/4 or parallel wiring to channels 1/2, freeing channels 3/4?

Old 01-10-2017, 10:44 AM   #5
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
Ok looks like the type r idea will have to wait then. What subwoofer would you suggest with my current Amp and speakers? Would I be better off connecting the back speakers to the head unit freeing up Channels 3/4 or parallel wiring to channels 1/2, freeing channels 3/4?
I would power the rear speakers off the head unit regardless- you don't want rear speakers dominating what you hear up front.

If you can find one, a JBL GT5-4 has modest power demands, should work with the amplifier power your InPhase amp can muster much better- they come in 10" and 12", and the single 4 ohm voice coil version is what you'd want with bridged amplifier channels.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #6
JohnBauder

JohnBauder is a jewel in the roughJohnBauder is a jewel in the roughJohnBauder is a jewel in the roughJohnBauder is a jewel in the rough

Can you return the amp and speakers? If so you can do much better.

The Alpines are a good coaxial set buy an amped set of component speakers is better. You can get a pair of ID components for less than a pair of those Alpines and have much better sound - https://www.amazon.com/Ctx65cs-Dynam.../dp/B001NNOZNQ - $170

You can get 2 of these subs for $97 total - https://www.amazon.com/JBL-GT5-10D-1...rds=jbl+gt5-10 Wire them to a total 4ohm load.

You can power the fronts and the subs with this amp for $200 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2AH6BGHI3KV4N

Then all you need is the sub enclosure and wiring. The enclosure should be .75ft^3 per sub - interior volume. It should be made from 3/4" MDF. Or you can buy this one for $50 - http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...va-MDFD10.html It's a bit larger than optimum but probably not noticeably so.

TOTAL about $520 plus wiring and any soundproofing you might decide is needed.

Last edited by JohnBauder; 01-10-2017 at 03:49 PM.
JohnBauder is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #7
SPL_Krayzie112

SPL_Krayzie112 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I currently have.

Itīs doable...just add an EQ. And maybe an active crossover.
SPL_Krayzie112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2017, 06:05 AM   #8
Georgemk6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBauder View Post
Can you return the amp and speakers? If so you can do much better.

The Alpines are a good coaxial set buy an amped set of component speakers is better. You can get a pair of ID components for less than a pair of those Alpines and have much better sound - https://www.amazon.com/Ctx65cs-Dynam.../dp/B001NNOZNQ - $170

You can get 2 of these subs for $97 total - https://www.amazon.com/JBL-GT5-10D-1...rds=jbl+gt5-10 Wire them to a total 4ohm load.

You can power the fronts and the subs with this amp for $200 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2AH6BGHI3KV4N

Then all you need is the sub enclosure and wiring. The enclosure should be .75ft^3 per sub - interior volume. It should be made from 3/4" MDF. Or you can buy this one for $50 - http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...va-MDFD10.html It's a bit larger than optimum but probably not noticeably so.

TOTAL about $520 plus wiring and any soundproofing you might decide is needed.
I can't return the amp or speakers so I'm going to have to make deal with them and just add a subwoofer to my existing amp

Old 01-11-2017, 06:13 AM   #9
Georgemk6

Quote:
I would power the rear speakers off the head unit regardless- you don't want rear speakers dominating what you hear up front.

If you can find one, a JBL GT5-4 has modest power demands, should work with the amplifier power your InPhase amp can muster much better- they come in 10" and 12", and the single 4 ohm voice coil version is what you'd want with bridged amplifier channels.
I had a look I found a (boss d12f) 12" and a (Pioneer TS-W311S4) 12" their both 4ohm single coil. What do you think of them?

Alpine SWG-1244 svc 4ohm?

Last edited by Georgemk6; 01-11-2017 at 06:21 AM.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #10
neillio

neillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond repute

No, no, and nope.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-GT5-10-2...MAAOSwx2dYDpNA
No way your amp does more than 250wrms per channel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Audio-Un...UAAOSwcLxYL2pl
1ft3 sealed per sub is perfect for the JBL GT-5 10". No need for polyfill.
neillio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #11
Georgemk6

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillio View Post
No, no, and nope.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-GT5-10-2...MAAOSwx2dYDpNA
No way your amp does more than 250wrms per channel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Audio-Un...UAAOSwcLxYL2pl
1ft3 sealed per sub is perfect for the JBL GT-5 10". No need for polyfill.
Could my amp handle 2 jbl gt5 subs with the 2 front speakers?

Old 01-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #12
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
Could my amp handle 2 jbl gt5 subs with the 2 front speakers?
No, unfortunately it will have a difficult time powering one.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #13
Georgemk6

Quote:
No, unfortunately it will have a difficult time powering one.
I can get a JBL GT5-12 or a alpine swg-1244, I'm from the uk and cant find the GT5-10.

The jbl is 275w and the alpine is 250w but I have no idea what speaker is built/sounds better what would you guys recommend or shall I carry on looking for the gt5-10?

Old 01-11-2017, 03:18 PM   #14
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
I can get a JBL GT5-12 or a alpine swg-1244, I'm from the uk and cant find the GT5-10.

The jbl is 275w and the alpine is 250w but I have no idea what speaker is built/sounds better what would you guys recommend or shall I carry on looking for the gt5-10?
If you can do a 12, the JBL GT5 is a good value sub that works well on modest power.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:48 PM   #15
Georgemk6

Quote:
If you can do a 12, the JBL GT5 is a good value sub that works well on modest power.
Thanks for all the hell so far I've gone for a jbl gt5 12".

When it comes to installing I will wire the back 2 speakers to the head unit and the front 2 speakers to channels 1 and 2.

When it comes to installing the sub shall I bridge channels 3 and 4 the have 400w of power and install the 275w sub to the bridges channels? Or have you guys got a better way. I'm kind of new to all this and just been reading up a lot so sorry if i don't make much sense.