CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 01-10-2017, 04:34 PM   #16
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeknee View Post
Sorry not very familiar with all of this. How would I find the port area and the tuning I guess I would take it to a shop. Thank u sir
You'd probably have to get an idea of that from the manufacturer .

Port area is important- too small a port and you get "chuffing" or port noise. Port tuning is important too- tuning the port to too high a frequency gets loud (as many pre-fabricated enclosures can when tuned high, often in the low 40hz range), but tends not to sound very musical. The bandwidth of frequencies you'll get from a port tuned high is smaller than one tuned low (say around 30-32hz), with the lower tune sounding more musical and playing down lower than the higher tune.

A graphical representation of where the energy in a recording can reside (expressed in hz):

http://www.independentrecording.net/...in_display.htm

In many musical recordings, there isn't much energy below 30hz.

You'll want to use a subsonic filter on the amp which rolls off frequencies below the tuned frequency (set it near port tuning), as asking a woofer to play below the tuned frequency of the port at any kind of volume is asking for trouble...the subwoofer loses the damping action of the air inside the enclosure when it is playing frequencies below the tuned frequency of the port, and this causes the woofer to "unload" and you can see excursion to the point the sub sustains mechanical damage from being played at or beyond those mechanical limits.

As far as low frequencies not sounding so good in your current enclosure compared to higher frequencies, which amplifier do you have? Where are all the settings set at?
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2017, 04:46 PM   #17
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Hint: most enclosure manufacturers offering pre-fabs tend to appeal to the masses who want loud bass rather than great sounding bass, and tune their ports high rather than low in an attempt to please the masses. Ported enclosures tuned high can have a "one note wonder" effect where the narrow range of usable frequency response tends to make all bass notes sound the same rather than accurately depicting what is in the recording.

Ported enclosures are more efficient (play louder per watt) than sealed enclosures, and sealed enclosures tend to better damp the woofer for more accurate sounding bass. The response of a ported enclosure can sound exaggerated or boosted if you aren't careful, and the response of a sealed enclosure can sound more anaemic in the lower registers comparatively. Luckily, most closed vehicles have a phenomenon called transfer function, which automatically boosts certain low frequencies, and with sealed enclosures that transfer function can effectively equalize the response of the woofer/enclosure for more of a flat response down in the lower ranges where output from the sealed enclosure starts to roll off.

Some good reading:

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...haracteristics

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...haracteristics

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...nce-Comparison

Old 01-10-2017, 05:33 PM   #18
toeknee

toeknee is on a distinguished road

Not sure on how to upload pictures, but the amp is a 4ch planet audio VX2004 1-2ch have the dash and four door speakers, 3-4ch have the subs. Took some pics on all the settings on the amp just don't know how to load them
toeknee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2017, 05:42 PM   #19
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
Not sure on how to upload pictures, but the amp is a 4ch planet audio VX2004 1-2ch have the dash and four door speakers, 3-4ch have the subs. Took some pics on all the settings on the amp just don't know how to load them
You can't upload pictures to the forum, but you can certainly load them to a hosting site (like Photobucket) and post links to them in your thread.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #20
toeknee

Hopefully this works
http://s345.photobucket.com/user/Toe...=recent&page=1

Old 01-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #21
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

That amp doesn't appear to have a filter appropriate for use as a subsonic (or infrasonic- whatever you want to call it) filter- what you'd need for a ported enclosure.

I hate to say this, but the amp might be part of the problem why your bass doesn't sound so great. How do you have the two DVC 2 ohm woofers wired to the amp? (i.e. what load is it seeing) are channels 3/4 being used bridged or in stereo?

Old 01-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #22
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Those Planet Audio amps were not good, and you don't have the power you think you have (they are rating it at 100 watts x 4 MAX power, which is fully distorted and driven into clipping). "Max" or "Peak" power ratings are not something usable, something you can take to the bank...the only rating that matters is "RMS" or continuous.

The lower the frequency, the more power it takes to reproduce that frequency at a volume comparable to the higher frequencies. Your Cadence woofers will want 350 watts RMS each, and you are feeding them an optimistic 50 watts RMS each. I say optimistic because that is what Planet Audio states RMS power is, and they have been known to lie about specs.

Rather than trying a new enclosure, I'd go with a new amplifier for the subs- something like this won't break the bank and would allow you to assess whether you want to change your enclosure at all:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...CE2600.1D.html

Old 01-10-2017, 06:25 PM   #23
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

If the new amp idea appeals to you, you'd want to wire the voice coils in series on each sub, then wire one to the other in parallel. That would give you a 2 ohm load and about 900 watts RMS to the pair, and would make a night/day difference over Planet Audio power.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #24
SPL_Krayzie112

SPL_Krayzie112 will become famous soon enough

Download WinISD
SPL_Krayzie112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2017, 07:39 PM   #25
toeknee

This amp was intended for the dash and door speakers, the shop I bought it from said that it would work fine hooked up like this. I have an amp that was intended for the subs. I can upload pics of it when I get out of work. Thank u gentlemen for all the info and advice greatly appreciated.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #26
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
This amp was intended for the dash and door speakers, the shop I bought it from said that it would work fine hooked up like this. I have an amp that was intended for the subs. I can upload pics of it when I get out of work. Thank u gentlemen for all the info and advice greatly appreciated.
There is fine as in nothing blows up, and then there is fine as in it works well- if that is what they told you, they probably meant the 1st kind of fine

Old 01-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #27
toeknee

As for the wiring of the subs I believe they are individually wired
- + to speaker box terminals remaining - + connected together. Same for the other subwoofer, then bridged at amp.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:55 PM   #28
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
As for the wiring of the subs I believe they are individually wired
- + to speaker box terminals remaining - + connected together. Same for the other subwoofer, then bridged at amp.
Your amp wants a 4 ohm load (or higher) when used bridged. With two DVC 2 ohm subs, these are your options:

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...2&I=22#results

The Planet Audio really won't like options #1 and #2, and will only put out 1/2 the rated power into an 8 ohm load (option #3).

Old 01-10-2017, 08:30 PM   #29
toeknee

For now what option do I go with

Old 01-10-2017, 11:13 PM   #30
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
For now what option do I go with
What amplifier do you have that you intended for the subwoofers?