CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Build Logs

Old 02-02-2016, 04:33 AM   #1
Mike H.

Mike H. has a little shameless behaviour in the past

97 Ford Ranger ( regular cab) $500 budget build.

Income tax check should be here soon so i figured i would start the official build

$500.00 budget here..This includes any vehicle prep and any needed accessories as well as all the equipment....Almost sounds impossible buying all new gear and accomplishing this but, with the help from the great people of this forum and alot of research, its going to be a reality.

What am i after with the install?...I wanted the best sound quality i could find for the money within my budget and im hoping ive done so....Nothing is considered high end and everything fits maybe between acceptable entry level and good performance.

Im still working on figuring out a subwoofer but, i should be capable of maybe a shallow 10" subwoofer...Im crossing my fingers.

Heres the list of gear so far ill be purchasing, minus sub box and subwoofer...The box, my neighbor is going to build for me once i have dimensions figured out.

KENWOOD KDC-X399 Head Unit.
Double din to single din Stereo install kit
SOUNDSTREAM P4.500 amp.
MJM 6X8 to 6.5 speaker adapters (front)
SOUNDSTREAM PC.6 2 way component speakers.
KnuKonceptz 4g Amp wiring kit.
Knukonceptz 16g speaker wire.(25 feet)
Knukonceptz 10g speaker wire (5 feet for sub)
Package of speaker terminals.
(X1) roll of Peel-n-Seal from Lowes
(X2) 3mm thick Yoga mat from Walmart.

How am i using the peel n seal and yoga mats?

I plan to put 3 or 4 full width strips (4" width) vertically on the inside of the outer door skins which will meet or exceed a 25% coverage to dampen any vibrations and help with sound deadening...Just behind the speaker area will receive a 12x12 piece of yoga mat to help with any bouncing sound waves and help absorb it...Where the speakers mount, it will receive some peel n seal as a gasket between the speaker and metal as well as extend 360 degrees beyond by about an inch or so to further aid in any vibration.

The yoga mat will also be used as a full coverage gasket between the door panels and, metal skin to help with covering any unwanted holes and dampen any speaker sound coming from where it shouldn't be, as well as stop any unwanted vibrations between the skin and door panels..This should also help with any road noise and insulate the interior from the cold and heat.

A big Thank you again to all those who were kind enough to take the time to answer any questions and explain things to me more than once to get things through my thick skull...You guys rock...Ill have more questions im sure..hahaha

Last edited by Mike H.; 02-02-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Mike H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 02-02-2016, 04:42 AM   #2
Mike H.

Im will doing this build in stages and, will be prepping the doors first..I wanted to do this first to hear the difference in sound even if only with the stock stereo system..Im expecting to hear a noticeable difference up front at least...This page was reserved for this step 1: Door prep.

Last edited by Mike H.; 02-02-2016 at 08:04 AM.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:43 AM   #3
Mike H.

This page is reserved for step 2 : Radio install.

Last edited by Mike H.; 02-02-2016 at 07:33 AM.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:43 AM   #4
Mike H.

This page is reserved for step 3: component speaker install.

Last edited by Mike H.; 02-02-2016 at 08:02 AM.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:35 AM   #5
Mike H.

This page is reserved for step 4: Amp install.

Last edited by Mike H.; 02-02-2016 at 08:02 AM.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:36 AM   #6
Mike H.

This page reserved for the box and sub install.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #7
Mike H.

Just placed an order through amazon to get the ball rolling...Uncle sam came through with the return lastnight.

Kenwood X399 HU ($94.99)
Scosche radio install kit ($14.94)
MJM 6x8 to 6.5 speaker adapters (1 pr.) ($17.50)
Knukonceptz "Kord" 16g speaker wire (50ft.) ($16.88)
Soundstream PC.6 2 way component speaker set. (1 pr.) ($44.95)

Not sure exactly where a .90 cent tax comes in but the grand total so far with that tax is $190.16..This leaves $309.84 left in the budget.

Last edited by Mike H.; 02-09-2016 at 11:42 PM.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:13 AM   #8
gostumpy

gostumpy is on a distinguished road

Looking forward to reading about this build!
I just finished installing the following in my work Ranger:

Kenwood X399 HU (Same as yours lol)
JVC DRVN 6x8 Coax Speakers x 4 (Front & Rear)
Polk Audio PA660.4 Amp
Scosche Amp Kit (8GA)
Scosche Single Din Install Kit
Second set of RCA's for rear speakers

Not putting a subwoofer in yet because I will likely need the space for tools behind the seats, if we end up never using the space the I might build a box.

Best of luck and take lots of pics! I wish I did...
gostumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2016, 02:41 AM   #9
MOSFET

MOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond repute

You seem to have a pretty solid plan. I love the fact that you are focusing on dampening NOW, as I expect your system will grow over time and getting this done at the outset will save a lot of hassle.

I'm not sure exactly what Yoga mats are, but I was concerned that you mentioned "absorbed" behind sub enclosure. True, you do not want the sheet metal resonanting, but you also don't want all that sound energy absorbed. Ideally you want to add enough dampening in the trunk to prevent the sheet metal from resonanting (adding mass to the body panels lowers the resonating frequency of said panels, so that the sound energy will not be converted into vibration energy), and the sound waves will bounce off the back and travel forward. Yes, it is possible to use sound absorbant material that will take the sound energy and convert it to a small amount of heat (1st law of thermodynamics), but this is NOT what you want, you want to redirect the sound waves to the front, so it's best to use a hard material.

I bought my entire last system USED (I know you are going new), but you may find it interesting what $430 can buy used (that is the total for four amps, subs, three sets of speaks, HU, and wires).

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/408322...mazda-protege/

Keep us posted and good luck!!!
MOSFET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2016, 06:01 AM   #10
Mike H.

Hi guys, Ended up sending all the parts back..my income tax money went to a new transmission and clutch so, the build was busted...Been a rough couple of months financially and job slow but ill get to this eventually and re order the parts...Im keeping the same plan with everything equipment wise...Until then ill just have to keep flying my quadcopters for entertainment.

TO BE CONTINUED:

Old 03-23-2016, 06:09 AM   #11
Mike H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOSFET View Post
You seem to have a pretty solid plan. I love the fact that you are focusing on dampening NOW, as I expect your system will grow over time and getting this done at the outset will save a lot of hassle.

I'm not sure exactly what Yoga mats are, but I was concerned that you mentioned "absorbed" behind sub enclosure. True, you do not want the sheet metal resonanting, but you also don't want all that sound energy absorbed. Ideally you want to add enough dampening in the trunk to prevent the sheet metal from resonanting (adding mass to the body panels lowers the resonating frequency of said panels, so that the sound energy will not be converted into vibration energy), and the sound waves will bounce off the back and travel forward. Yes, it is possible to use sound absorbant material that will take the sound energy and convert it to a small amount of heat (1st law of thermodynamics), but this is NOT what you want, you want to redirect the sound waves to the front, so it's best to use a hard material.

I bought my entire last system USED (I know you are going new), but you may find it interesting what $430 can buy used (that is the total for four amps, subs, three sets of speaks, HU, and wires).

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/408322...mazda-protege/

Keep us posted and good luck!!!
A Yoga mat is just an open cell foam with a pvc coating on both sides...I was going to use maybe 12x12 inch piece just behind the speaker on the door to keep sound from reflecting off it and bouncing back.

I did search my immediate area on craigs list and found a few items but nothing that interested me brand wise or what i was looking for.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:12 AM   #12
Mike H.

Still around guys...Hoping to give this build another shot some time soon...Still have the same plan as written with all the same gear to use..One part i received and didnt cancel or send back was the MJM 6x8 to 6.5 adapter plates..theyre really nice pieces..Im moving to a different state end of this month and hope once im settled in i can get this going.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:35 AM   #13
Mike H.

Well maybe it wont be all the same equpment listed...the x399 has been discontinued and going for even more money..the soundstream components arent listed but there is a newer model i guess replaces them..the soundstream amp i cant find anymore..guess ill be researching again to come up with a different parts list.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:52 AM   #14
Mike H.

Im really bummed out..That soundstream p4.500 was perfect spec wise for what i was after at 65rms per channel into 4ohms..now i cant find an amp with anywhere near the specs...Its either way under on rms or way over...and prices are more for either option im seeing.

The kenwood X300 is the replacement for the x399 i wanted, it still has 3 sets of 4v pre outs and the big eq as well as other features i wanted in the x399 but it is a bit more money, oh well...Soundstream has a new replacement for the PC.6 components i wanted..priced the same..same specs just different model number and or whatever improvements if any, so im good there but they are already sold out at Sonic.

Last edited by Mike H.; 09-25-2016 at 01:15 AM.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:57 AM   #15
Mike H.

That $500 budget will have to go up by about $65.00 to get what i was after before..sigh