CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > UseNet Gateway > F.A.Q. > Introduction

Reply
Old 01-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #1
jimisbell

Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4
jimisbell is infamous around these parts



new member with stupid questions

I am new here and driven here by my newly installed audio system and the lack of a manual.

I just got and installed a new Chinese made CD/DVD/RADIO/TV/GPS into my 2007 Town Car. The manual is worthless as it does not explain AF, PTY, TA, REG, RDS, or APS or what they do or how to use them?

I like the system but cant read pidgen English?
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 01-28-2014, 11:20 PM   #2
mikel7829

Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East of the Mississippi
Posts: 8,352
mikel7829 has a reputation beyond reputemikel7829 has a reputation beyond reputemikel7829 has a reputation beyond reputemikel7829 has a reputation beyond reputemikel7829 has a reputation beyond reputemikel7829 has a reputation beyond reputemikel7829 has a reputation beyond reputemikel7829 has a reputation beyond reputemikel7829 has a reputation beyond reputemikel7829 has a reputation beyond reputemikel7829 has a reputation beyond repute



Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
I am new here and driven here by my newly installed audio system and the lack of a manual.

I just got and installed a new Chinese made CD/DVD/RADIO/TV/GPS into my 2007 Town Car. The manual is worthless as it does not explain AF, PTY, TA, REG, RDS, or APS or what they do or how to use them?

I like the system but cant read pidgen English?
What is the manufacture and model number is this Chinese H/U
mikel7829 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2014, 11:34 PM   #3
jimisbell

Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4
jimisbell is infamous around these parts



Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel7829 View Post
What is the manufacture and model number is this Chinese H/U
Ouku 7-Inch Double-DIN In Dash Touchscreen LCD Monitor with DVD/CD/MP3/MP4/USB/SD/AMFM/RDS/Bluetooth and GPS Navigation 3D PIP Pictire In Picture Rotate Menu HD:800*480 LCD Free GPS Antenna+Free Official Sygic GPS Map Updatable

Dont know what H/U means.

I contacted the seller and got this information

brand is OUKU.
Model type is 505007

Last edited by jimisbell; 01-28-2014 at 11:50 PM.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
jimisbell

Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4
jimisbell is infamous around these parts



Maybe I should re awaken this thread.

I am still looking for answers.

After much fiddling for a couple of weeks, I have finally gotten it to work reasonably well. But there are still things I cannot do and things that I wouls like to do, and things that I dont know are possible. I still dont know all the alphabet soup (AF, PTY, TA, REG, RDS, or APS).

I read in Wikipedia what RDS IS, but not what its good for??? Is there a reason it should be ON and not OFF??? I dont have a clue.

The Ouku has a set of car logos that can be selected to display when the unit is not doing anything. I wanted a Continental emblem, or a RR emblem, both of which I have, but even though these are well known brands, they are not there. Seems like EVERY Asian make is represented. Is there a way to add a symbol if I have a JPEG of the one I want?

This runs on a Windows OS (I think) so there should be some way to hack in and do things in the system like adding pictures to the file that holds those logos.

There are a lot of settings under the "Factory Settings" that are NOT explained in the very rudimentary and poorly written manual. One is "radar" and another is "opposite door" they can be either ON or OFF, but Why?? What do they do.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: north of the 49th
Posts: 19,464
basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute



Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
Maybe I should re awaken this thread.

I am still looking for answers.

After much fiddling for a couple of weeks, I have finally gotten it to work reasonably well. But there are still things I cannot do and things that I wouls like to do, and things that I dont know are possible. I still dont know all the alphabet soup (AF, PTY, TA, REG, RDS, or APS).

I read in Wikipedia what RDS IS, but not what its good for??? Is there a reason it should be ON and not OFF??? I dont have a clue.

The Ouku has a set of car logos that can be selected to display when the unit is not doing anything. I wanted a Continental emblem, or a RR emblem, both of which I have, but even though these are well known brands, they are not there. Seems like EVERY Asian make is represented. Is there a way to add a symbol if I have a JPEG of the one I want?

This runs on a Windows OS (I think) so there should be some way to hack in and do things in the system like adding pictures to the file that holds those logos.

There are a lot of settings under the "Factory Settings" that are NOT explained in the very rudimentary and poorly written manual. One is "radar" and another is "opposite door" they can be either ON or OFF, but Why?? What do they do.
I would say those are questions only the manufacturer will know the answer to.

I have installed many brands and types of systems in the last 33 years that I have been playing with these things, and none of that makes sense to me (but then again I refuse to install those off brands as a large number of them arrive DOA, not working as advertised or have the problems you are experiencing due to their non-standardized nature and poor support to figure things out).

With many car audio products and only a few exceptions, unfortunately you get what you pay for.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
jimisbell

Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4
jimisbell is infamous around these parts



Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post


I would say those are questions only the manufacturer will know the answer to.

I have installed many brands and types of systems in the last 33 years that I have been playing with these things, and none of that makes sense to me (but then again I refuse to install those off brands as a large number of them arrive DOA, not working as advertised or have the problems you are experiencing due to their non-standardized nature and poor support to figure things out).

With many car audio products and only a few exceptions, unfortunately you get what you pay for.
Its NOT "non-standardized" the OS software is Microsoft. I am not complaining about the quality of the unit. It has a great GPS program, the audio is superb, integrating it into the Town cars system was easy, less than 30 minutes, everything that I can control, works perfectly. My complaint is that the documentation sucks. I am more than happy with my $225 purchase. In the dash it looks stock. A real bargain. Its just that it takes a lot of learning by pushing the wrong buttons to find the answers. Th hardware is great, the software is Microsoft, not off brand. Just no instructions.

The alphabet soup Iam asking about is standard in the field. BUT...I dont know the abbreviations...such as RDS (Very standard), I had to look it up in Wikipedia. Even then I didnt know what it was for.

The unit is 2DIN (very standard) which beats the old days when every hole was a different size.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2014, 10:19 PM   #7
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: north of the 49th
Posts: 19,464
basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute



Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
Its NOT "non-standardized" the OS software is Microsoft. I am not complaining about the quality of the unit. It has a great GPS program, the audio is superb, integrating it into the Town cars system was easy, less than 30 minutes, everything that I can control, works perfectly. My complaint is that the documentation sucks. I am more than happy with my $225 purchase. In the dash it looks stock. A real bargain. Its just that it takes a lot of learning by pushing the wrong buttons to find the answers. Th hardware is great, the software is Microsoft, not off brand. Just no instructions.

The alphabet soup Iam asking about is standard in the field. BUT...I dont know the abbreviations...such as RDS (Very standard), I had to look it up in Wikipedia. Even then I didnt know what it was for.

The unit is 2DIN (very standard) which beats the old days when every hole was a different size.
This forum deals with major aftermarket audio brands. The leaders in the car industry (Alpine, Clarion, JVC, Kenwood, Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony to name a few) use proprietary non-Windows operating systems on their microprocessor-intensive units they sell in the automotive aftermarket. Having installed many of these, there is a great deal of crossover in the technology used by one brand to the next...if there is a difference in nomenclature, it is usually spelled out in good English as well as other languages in supporting documents from the manufacturer. RDS is a standard most of these brands conform to (hence the common use of the acronym), but the others you mention are not standard in this aftermarket industry .

While your unit may be standard in size, I think you will find it doesn't share much in common with products released by recognized manufacturers in the industry that most of us here deal with regularly (or even OEM navigation systems), and will have more in common with similar Chinese brands usually marketed on eBay. Most decent navi systems usually go for $600 and up. I wish you nothing but luck in sorting things out, but suspect most users here will be drawing a blank to help you with what the manufacturer has not.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:52 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright © 2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1996 - 2011 by CarAudioForum.com - all rights reserved.