CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Articles > Articles

Old
Tama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant future
Review of Rainbow Germaniums Run Active.
by Tama_Drumz_76 04-26-2010, 12:08 AM

Some of you may know that I recently acquired some Rainbow Germanium components. 2 Sets of 6.5" woofers, 1 set of tweeters, and 2 crossovers.(I guess they call it the double-woofer set)

As I do run Actively, the crossovers are not being used. Also, only 1 set of the 6.5" mid-woofers are installed in my doors and tweeters are installed in modified sail panels. (the other set of mid-woofers reside on a shelf)

About a month/month and a half ago I installed the 6.5" mid-woofers. My initial impressions were that they were nice, had better midrange, but not too far different from what was previously installed. (Hybrid Audio L6)
*Photos of mids(click next picture to advance): http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=DSCF4986.jpg

As I listen to mostly metal/rock and some acoustic music, a crystal clear sound with very good mid-range and punch was very important to me. At this time, the CDT DRT-26T(Have all 3 domes, prefer the Titanium) tweeters were installed. I felt that the combo sounded great together once finding the x-over points where they seemed to mate up well.

After a few weeks of listening these things opened up like I couldn't believe, the mid-woofers in my doors now had very respectable mid-bass and the whole spectrum was very clear and punchy. Music was actually making me smile uncontrollably when driving around. Instruments sounded more life-like and the feeling like you were in the room with them. Drums snapped with with great dynamics. Guitars crunched away with authority. There was something to the sound that I rarely experience inside a car. I was totally surprised... and had a bit of a hard-on to be honest.

Now for a long time I've always thought the DRT-26 tweets are a great set(and still do). Very detailed yet easy on the ears, yes even the Titanium. However, a part of me also felt they were missing a bit of the airiness and ambiance in the very high register. That last bit being just a very slight gripe, I honestly haven't heard many tweets in car in a typical 2-way that do this exceptionally well unless close to being perfectly on axis.

Fast forward to today. Its rainy, foggy, cold... Unfortunately the power supply on my desktop computer died yesterday, thus leaving me bored as hell today. So I decided to install the Germanium tweeters(CAL 25 Silk VOF). I took a set of sail panels that I had purchased a while back and began grinding them away to fit the tweeters and angle them appropriately.
*Photos of tweets installed in sail panels(click next picture to advance): http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=DSCF5193.jpg

Once installing these I tested to make sure they worked :P and did a little listening. Of course with the door panel off and not adjusting x-overs yet, its not going to sound exactly ideal, but it served the purpose. Slapped some ensolite behind the sail panels and slapped everything back on.(Even fixed some vibrations in my door panels with hot glue). Then got on to a quick tune session.
*Photos of installed (click next picture to advance): http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=DSCF5198.jpg

I knew already that the Rainbow tweeters had a lower resonant frequency and also a broader frequency response than the CDTs, however 2db lower sensitivity (90db 1w/1m, as opposed to 92db 1w/1m). They also have a higher power handling, which is all good in my eyes. So, first thing I did was raise the individual speaker levels up a smidgen then moved over to the X-over. I tried a few spots and landed on the following: Tweet: high pass at 1.6kHz with a 12dB slope. Mid woofer: low pass at 1.25hKhz with a 6dB slope; high pass at 63hz with 18dB slope. Previously the CDT/Rainbow combo was: Tweet: high pass at 2.5kHz 12dB slope, Mid: low pass at 2kHz with 6dB slope, same 63hz high pass with 18dB slope.
**Mid and Tweet high and low pass are now(and have been a while) set at 3.15KHz with a 36dB slope. Mid/Sub high and low pass are at 63Hz with a 36dB slope.**

So I cycled through my hard drive and did some critical listening. All I was able to say and think was "wow, these things sound incredible". Keep in mind the mid-woofers are broken in already, but this is the first time the tweets have been powered up. I kept listening to different tracks of different styles/productions and continued to be impressed. They had the airiness and ambiance I was looking for, had EXCEPTIONAL detail and handled the lower x-over point excellently giving more snap to the midrange and an over-all clearer sound. Imaging was better than ever before too. Snare drums seemed to sit right in the middle and far off panned instruments felt like they had the right amount of distance. Vocals were crisp and clear on everything I tested. Imaging stays up dash level, vocals very well placed. Acoustic instruments sound great, very natural with excellent dynamics.

Since I was blown away at this point I decided to take a drive and turn them up pretty high to get a better feel of what they can do. Turning them up just impressed me even more. Like said before, exceptional detail, clarity and staging, while having ZERO listening fatigue. I can't even imagine what they will be like when they're broken in.

Criticisms? I don't really have any, they sound friggin' great. I guess its not the fanciest looking set around(textured grey basket, rubber magnet boot, plain black grill tweeter), but who cares?! Surely not me, they're in a door...

Anyway, that's my review. Sorry if its long... but I really haven't seen many Rainbow reviews up here.

Some extra side info: Previous drivers used in this car: CDT HD6, CDT ES-07, Hybrid Audio L6. Previous tweeters used in this car: DRT-26 Only, but in all three varieties of Silk, Aluminum, Titanium.
Head-unit: Clarion DXZ785USB (soon to be Pioneer DEX-P99RS)
Sub: CDT QES-1220 Prototype
Amplifiers: Clarion DPX2251 powering mids, Clarion APX4361 powering tweets, Clarion DPX11551 powering subwoofer.

Last edited by Tama_Drumz_76; 02-21-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:37 PM  
dolbsss

dolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond repute

screw the rainbow's, what do you think about Tama drums? I have some PDPs and am looking to either adding toms(kit is out of print though), or getting a whole new set. 22,16,14,12,10, no snare. If I went new my budget would be roughly 2k.
dolbsss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2010, 05:48 PM  
Tama_Drumz_76

Tama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbsss View Post
screw the rainbow's, what do you think about Tama drums? I have some PDPs and am looking to either adding toms(kit is out of print though), or getting a whole new set. 22,16,14,12,10, no snare. If I went new my budget would be roughly 2k.
Haha, I can help ya there... PM me or hit me on up AIM/Yahoo.
Tama_Drumz_76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2010, 07:16 PM  
HuckOrris

HuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really curious how the rainbows stack up against those other drivers in specific areas. I'm guessing the ES-07 had enough midbass but maybe not good enough midrange. And whats up with the Hat L6's?
HuckOrris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2010, 08:32 PM  
Tama_Drumz_76

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuckOrris View Post
I'm really curious how the rainbows stack up against those other drivers in specific areas. I'm guessing the ES-07 had enough midbass but maybe not good enough midrange. And whats up with the Hat L6's?
Actually, quite the opposite. Heh. The ES-07's excel in mid-range. I liked the mid-range, but their mid-bass didn't impress. Nor were the speakers tight enough sounding to me. They lacked some punch. Their mid-bass would probably be good in a ported enclosure, but in a door, they lacked quite a bit.

The Hybrid L6's are a very rugged speaker, well built and sound great. Their mid-range was a little more laid back than the ES-07's. It took some getting used to. I tend to like a fairly present mid-range since its the most important frequency for most instruments, especially guitars and vocals. Also, the snap of drums take place here too. With some EQing and messing with x-over points I got the Hybrid sounding great. Very tight sounding speaker and takes a lot of power without a hitch. Mid-bass was definitely an improvement here over the ES-07's, in this particular install.

The Rainbows probably have the best mid-bass of the bunch, for my install. Also probably due to their flatter response, the lower midrange is more predominant, making guitars sound thicker and drums have lots of meat to them. The upper mid-range is very crisp and snappy, but smooth. Much easier to listen to than the ES-07's, but more present than in the Hybrid's.

I hope this helps, any other questions feel free to ask.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:52 PM  
HuckOrris

HuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm thats curious. Is your door sealed?

So all these sets were run active? What is your tuning scheme like?
HuckOrris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2010, 10:01 PM  
Tama_Drumz_76

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuckOrris View Post
Hmmm thats curious. Is your door sealed?

So all these sets were run active? What is your tuning scheme like?
I had purchased the ES-07 due to the fact they were to have a stronger mid-range than mid-bass. I wanted mid-range more-so than mid-bass. I could have lived with that if they were a little tighter sounding. They sounded good, don't get me wrong, but they are much more suited to a small ported enclosure.

Yes, all sets were run actively. Door is well sealed and many layers of deadener.

I tune by ear usually. I do some music production so I'm fairly familiar with the frequency spectrum and what music should sound like. First I find the x-over points/slopes that mate up well, then I go ahead and adjust individual speaker gains to try to achieve balance and proper imaging. From there, I do any EQing as necessary.

Last edited by Tama_Drumz_76; 04-27-2010 at 01:16 AM.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:09 AM  
bassfreak

bassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond repute

hard to believe that the cal 25s sound better.. while the DRT can be a tad lacking but a hair of EQ does the trick.. the L6 mids as far as i know have the most linear displacement in the midrange/bass 6.5s.. they might have a lack in cone area with the phase plug but im more than positive they play much higher than the rainbow off axis.. last time i checked the rainbows had 4mm xmax up until the power line.. regardless I'm glad you found a set that makes you smile...
bassfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2010, 01:29 AM  
Tama_Drumz_76

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfreak View Post
hard to believe that the cal 25s sound better.. while the DRT can be a tad lacking but a hair of EQ does the trick.. the L6 mids as far as i know have the most linear displacement in the midrange/bass 6.5s.. they might have a lack in cone area with the phase plug but im more than positive they play much higher than the rainbow off axis.. last time i checked the rainbows had 4mm xmax up until the power line.. regardless I'm glad you found a set that makes you smile...
Yes, the CAL 25 VOF surprised me quite a bit. Listened more today on way to/from work and that tweet sounds great. Its funny, it seems like a totally different dog from the CDT silk. The CDT silk, while I liked it a lot, was VERY laid back. I felt it lacked some detail, the aluminum I just didn't like much at all, and the titanium I liked the most. It was the most detailed/revealing while still being relatively smooth.

The Rainbow CAL 25 VOF offered much more detail than the CDT silk dome, even more than the titanium I'd say, but a bit easier on the ears than the Titanium. The CDT silk dome was much softer than the Rainbow silk. I'd say this Rainbow silk compares closest to the Titanium dome in overall clarity/detail, but without that 'titanium sound'.

On the way home tonight I moved the filters a tad. Moved the tweet up to 2kHz high pass and the mid to 1.6kHz low pass. Slopes remained the same.

As to the midwoofer in comparison to the Hybrid... Its very well possible that the HAT L6 can go higher up into the midrange than the Rainbow... BUT its more laid back. The Hybrids seemed like they were going for a bit of a bigger bottom end, softer top end, but with good extension. The HAT also seemed to be a bit less efficient. Whereas I always typically kept the volume control at 28 with the Hybrids, I feel 26 with the Rainbows is a better match. I do believe that the Hybrids will take more power however, bigger motor and larger voice coil.

I had tried contacting Rainbow a few weeks ago about the xmax on the Germanium mids as they're not posted anywhere, not even in the T/S sheet, but of course they didn't get back to me... Probably cause I don't know how to ask in German. Not that they don't know English, but I'm sure they're more keen on customers speaking their native tongue.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:40 AM  
Tama_Drumz_76

Decided to add pictures of the passive crossovers in case anyone was curious.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=DSCF5206.jpg (click next picture to advance)

Old 05-21-2010, 02:34 PM  
Kennyg

Kennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama_Drumz_76 View Post
Yes, the CAL 25 VOF surprised me quite a bit. Listened more today on way to/from work and that tweet sounds great. Its funny, it seems like a totally different dog from the CDT silk. The CDT silk, while I liked it a lot, was VERY laid back. I felt it lacked some detail, the aluminum I just didn't like much at all, and the titanium I liked the most. It was the most detailed/revealing while still being relatively smooth.

The Rainbow CAL 25 VOF offered much more detail than the CDT silk dome, even more than the titanium I'd say, but a bit easier on the ears than the Titanium. The CDT silk dome was much softer than the Rainbow silk. I'd say this Rainbow silk compares closest to the Titanium dome in overall clarity/detail, but without that 'titanium sound'.

On the way home tonight I moved the filters a tad. Moved the tweet up to 2kHz high pass and the mid to 1.6kHz low pass. Slopes remained the same.

As to the midwoofer in comparison to the Hybrid... Its very well possible that the HAT L6 can go higher up into the midrange than the Rainbow... BUT its more laid back. The Hybrids seemed like they were going for a bit of a bigger bottom end, softer top end, but with good extension. The HAT also seemed to be a bit less efficient. Whereas I always typically kept the volume control at 28 with the Hybrids, I feel 26 with the Rainbows is a better match. I do believe that the Hybrids will take more power however, bigger motor and larger voice coil.

I had tried contacting Rainbow a few weeks ago about the xmax on the Germanium mids as they're not posted anywhere, not even in the T/S sheet, but of course they didn't get back to me... Probably cause I don't know how to ask in German. Not that they don't know English, but I'm sure they're more keen on customers speaking their native tongue.

PM Don (6spdcoupe). He's the NE regional Rainbow rep. And da man
Kennyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2010, 05:48 AM  
Tama_Drumz_76

After purchasing the Pioneer DEX-P99RS, I changed some x-over settings from what the review says. Either way, I still say this set sounds excellent.

Also, tried PMing 6spdcoupe a few days after writing that review (I think cause of your recommendation via PM) and have not heard anything yet. Probably doesn't visit the forums often.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:57 PM  
Kennyg

Kennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama_Drumz_76 View Post
After purchasing the Pioneer DEX-P99RS, I changed some x-over settings from what the review says. Either way, I still say this set sounds excellent.

Also, tried PMing 6spdcoupe a few days after writing that review (I think cause of your recommendation via PM) and have not heard anything yet. Probably doesn't visit the forums often.
He's over on DIYMA more, probably a couple others. Not exactly much going on here, you know :shrug

I'll link him to your thread though, and tell him to check his PM's
Kennyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2010, 10:12 PM  
Tama_Drumz_76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyg View Post
He's over on DIYMA more, probably a couple others. Not exactly much going on here, you know :shrug

I'll link him to your thread though, and tell him to check his PM's
Great, thanks!

Old 12-12-2011, 10:50 PM  
FutureFuzz 26

FutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond repute

Rainbow?

I have personally never heard of this brand (Rainbow) but after reading this lengthy review i have developed a respect for this brand i'll surly check these out, i currently run 4 Memphis PR 5.25" component sets with 2 Memphis Pr 6.5" coax and 2 Memphis Pr 5.25" coax (amplified by the Power Acoustik flip down 7" touch screen along with a 200w by 2ch Memphis Pr amplifier) with a Polk audio MM 8" DVC woofer (amplified by Rockford Fosgate Rockford Fosgate 250w Rms punch monoblock @ 2 ohm) and this set up is not even near complete but so far can make crystal clear sound on all HZ at all volume levels
FutureFuzz 26 is offline   Reply With Quote