CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Articles > Articles

Old
Associate
Location: So, how's that HOPE and CHANGE $hit workin out for ya?
sandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond repute
Hertz Mille MLK165 full review
by sandt38 04-09-2010, 01:52 AM

So the package arrived at the shop and I could barely restrain my excitement. I had been reading a lot about the Hertz Mille set and found a brand new set for a real steal. The MLK165 set uses the ML165 mid driver, the ML28 tweeter, and the MLCX 20 crossover, which is amazingly HUGE! The mid is really a piece of art, very well constructed with an oddly shaped “V-cone” for better off axis dispersion. The tweeter comes with 2 “chambers” which seem to act as aperiodic membranes, altering FS from 1200Hz with the small to 920Hz with the large chamber. Hertz recommends the large chamber for best sound, and I agree that lowering FS is beneficial here as well, so I went with the large chamber. Unfortunately, almost none of the tweeter mounts will work with the large chamber, aside from flush mounting it, so don’t count on using this with a surface mount or with the angled tweeter pods that come with the unit… this design flaw is terribly disheartening I must say, but it didn’t affect my install, so… The Crossover is really obnoxiously HUGE, but pretty nicely featured. They use “easy jumpers”, which are pretty large, nicely handled couplers that are easier to use then most tiny jumpers we see in crossovers. They also allow for bi-amping the system, or running a single amp if you so choose.

Click here to view the Hertz MLK165 PDF file

HU source is a Pioneer Premier FH-P800BT. Front stage amplifier is a Butler Tube Driver Blue 475 (hooray for automotive tube amplifiers!!), which is bridged for 2X200@4ohms, properly set up with an O-scope for no clipping. The front stage is crossed at 80Hz. The substage consists of a Cadence FXA5100 (I tested this before replacing this amp, as it used to power the entire system) delivering ~450 watts, and 2 Adire Koda 10” subs in a midsized (1.2 per sub) sealed arrangement, also crossed at 80Hz and run in reverse polarity. The mids are in the stock location in the lower front of the doors, decoupled from the sheet metal, spaced out with MDF, in a well damped door in an IB alignment. The tweets are well angled in the kicks, with a desired soundstage in the center of the windshield. Some modification was made on the kicks to change the angle, as the silks are more directional then the aluminum tweets they replaced.

At the start of the testing I had the EQ dead flat; as this worked best for me with the CDT PSS-0626i set I removed from the system. In playing with this set I realized that I could not leave it flat as the bottom ½ octave or so seemed weak, so I boosted the mids at 125Hz, and reset the amplifier to compensate. I found that the substage being crossed at 80 and the mids crossed at the same point gave me a slightly artificial boost at 80, and the system remained relatively flat thanks to the mid’s rolloff, albeit slightly exaggerated at 80Hz, which livened up kick drums nicely. The crossovers of this set allow for tweeter attenuation, but I opted to leave the crossover set at 0dB. I also elected to use the HFC or “high frequency contour” option in the crossovers which compensates for speaker distance issues relative to the driver in the car, and it seemed to open the soundstage up on the driver’s side, where a silk dome might seem closed off in most other cases.

Overall the set has a nice sound to it. The mid seems rather forward in the midrange, and is weak on the bottom end, which surprised me. I like my mid to be fairly fat down low and I really like a low crossover point, which I was not able to achieve with this set. In looking at the specs it appeared like it might be a bit weak on the bottom compared to the ES-06, yet I expected it to be punchier, more aggressive. Needless to say I was surprised and disappointed at the bottom end, but I was pleased that it was punchier, although not as much as I expected, and it still remains easy on the ears. It is not overly aggressive or fatiguing, and yet well defined. A really happy medium, which I cannot say is a function of the driver, or the tubes that drive it. I have considered reconnecting the solid state Cadence just to see how it does, but I just love the Butler too much to disable it. Even though it is a bit heavy in the midrange, the vocals seem very natural, and instrumentation is very clean and nicely detailed. Female vocals are very real, and open.

The crossover point is seamless, as expected from such a high end set. Though the crossover is so huge as to render it nearly impossible to hide, it is extremely well featured, and well designed, crossing at 2.5kHz.

The tweeters are a soft dome 1 1/8 inch compact design, with apeariodic chambers for the rear of the unit. According to Hertz, these are an open backed design that allows is to use various aperiodic modules to attach to the rear and alter the resonant frequency, and thus the behavior of the tweeter. While I did not play with the various modules, sticking with the largest module with the lowest overall system FS of 920Hz, I can guess it is a cool feature. The tweeters are delicate, yet pretty well detailed. Far and away one of the finer compacts I have heard. Unlike many soft domes this tweeter is energetic, and although the dispersion is more narrow then my old DRT26A aluminum domes, it is still pretty broad for a soft dome. They are very open and airy, lively and not fatiguing in any way.

The soundstage and image are pretty strong. While I have managed a better stage width in the car it is arguably more a function of the dome material then the driver’s incompetence. As I stated before, metal domes do offer better dispersion which I attribute to a broader soundstage. These definitely offer an extremely broad stage for soft domes. Image depth is impressive, with very realistic placement of musicians in test CDs and live acoustic performances… I love live acoustic sets as they tend to offer fixed placement of the musicians and a very real soundstage.

Musically these are pretty decent for most tastes. I did find some older midrange heavy 80’s metal to be a bit fatiguing though, due to the forward midrange I mentioned earlier. Female vocals are beautiful with this set, Sarah McLachlin and Norah Jones sound amazing. Norah’s breathless voice rings through very real and clear just floating in the center of the soundstage. Sarah’s amazing voice seems to fill the stage, and the differences between her grand piano, and Norah’s smaller piano are evidenced by this set. The grand just feels far more tonal and heavy then the smaller piano… you can almost feel the resonance of the large panels of the grand in the car. I love to use Dave Matthews for complex riffs and the huge array of instrumentation he likes to use. His nasal voice rings through as irritating as ever, and maybe a tad more nasal then I am used to. The background musicians really take off, and the lively midrange propels them to the forefront. Strings really ring true, with a nice and realistic decay, where some high strings that may get annoying with lively midranges seem to stay laid back and controlled, not what I might expect in listening to old school metal. I liked the way that Alice in Chains’ Unplugged album uses a kickdrum that is blocked by a plastic panel so as not to overpower the band, really seems like something is in the way of the kick. The placement of the musicians, which I know very well as I like to watch their Unplugged DVD, is extremely accurate, not overly separated like some sets that make it feel almost artificial, yet realistic enough in their placement that you know where they are sitting. You can tell Scottie Olsen is sitting right behind Mike Inez. I did a lot of other listening, but wanted to keep this segment brief… or at least as brief as my rambling can get, anyways .

To summarize, I like the set well enough, but it does suffer some shortcomings that I would not expect from a set costing a cool grand. I really expect a set this high end to have better bottom end. With 6MM of XMAX and a fairly low FS, this set should be solid to cross at 65hz, but it struggles at 80Hz, hell at 100Hz if you want to be honest about it. But with that weakness comes a great midrange, with some interesting qualities, a solid crossover that is well featured, well thought out, simple to adjust and set up with great jumpers, and a very, very nice tweeter. While the only audible complaint I have is the lack of deep down guttural midbass, the set does suffer some physical shortcomings as well. While it includes several tweeter mount options, you can’t use the best aperiodic module on any of them… rending the vast array of options completely useless if SQ is your focus. Also, the crossover… Guys, I can’t tell you enough how obnoxiously large this thing is.

If I had a thousand bucks to drop on a set, I think I would pass this set up for a few others. For what I paid for it, it is pretty decent, although in a similar price range I have owned better… But the midrange is intoxicating and the tweeter is very, very nice. If you have an opportunity to listen to the set, I suggest it. With all my complaining, it really does have some very strong audible qualities that have to be heard to be believed… oh yeah, and the mid is just absolutely a sexy unit, a real piece of art.

Mid in door:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f9...smDSCF0458.jpg

Comp set:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f9...smDSCF0444.jpg

Tweets and aperiodic membrane:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f9...smDSCF0447.jpg

Crossover topless:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f9...smDSCF0449.jpg

Mid from the front:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f9...smDSCF0450.jpg

Mid from behind:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f9...smDSCF0451.jpg

Tweeter:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f9...smDSCF0452.jpg

(I need to photograph the set in my door, for now, this is my CDT set in the same locations as the Milles)
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f9...smDSCF0193.jpg

Last edited by sandt38; 04-09-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:11 AM  
HuckOrris

HuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review with lots of detail. It's too bad you aren't more happy with them but that's just being critically honest and every set has its shortcomings.
HuckOrris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2010, 06:49 AM  
mvw2

mvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review.

I will say that it's always hard stepping away from something you're used to. Many things will sound initially off. Spend some time with the set. Listen to more music. Toy with a little EQing. If you find enough to like about them, keep them. If you still want something different, start shopping.

I have long stopped correlating dollar value to sound quality. Although there is some difference, it still comes down to a particular flavor of sound you're looking for. Blind money won't get you that, but specific, carefully chosen drivers will.

For me personally, about the only $1k set I'd be looking at is the Seas Lotus, but that too might not be exactly what you're looking for.

There isn't really anything that beats mixing and matching raw drivers. You will eventually get a pairing that does exactly what you want it to do...although it might take a while to find what hardware creates that "ideal" sound.
mvw2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2010, 10:58 AM  
pjhabit

pjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond repute

Another well done review, Sethy Poo

Here's something I thought you might be interested in, if you're still thinking of running active.
pjhabit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2010, 11:49 AM  
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review. I still wonder what a FR plot would reveal. Sometimes a lack of lowend can actually be caused by a missing/excessive upper harmonic.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2010, 12:53 PM  
sandt38

sandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhabit View Post
Another well done review, Sethy Poo

Here's something I thought you might be interested in, if you're still thinking of running active.
Thanks! I wanted to include more listening to specific music, but as usual I got too wordy elsewhere.

I saw that there, but I steered clear from it. I have been scouring the web for a nicely priced unit. The thing is, even though the old Phase Audios were Butler designed, Butler will not guarantee they can fix the units if broken; and they are older units. Butler will only repair units labeled Tube Driver Blue, not those labeled Tube Driver.
sandt38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2010, 03:11 PM  
bassfreak

bassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
Nice review. I still wonder what a FR plot would reveal. Sometimes a lack of lowend can actually be caused by a missing/excessive upper harmonic.
or exaggerated lowend from previous sets?
seth likes the full, robust yet smooth drivers.. thats why i felt he would really like the L6 mids..thats how the brahmas sound..
theres nothing wrong with having a robust MID/SUBbass, you can eq it without hurting your components..
also yalls like to cross you mids around 60 and woofers around 50.. im positive seth is going to like the xbl midbass, there designed just for that type of application.. i just don't see a 1" tweeter being able to linearly play dow to 1500 without some major efficiency issues..
id like too see how seth likes the cdt es02s there a good canidate for such a install...
bassfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2010, 05:27 PM  
sandt38

Well, I may bargin on that Tube Driver anyways, I am starting talks with him. So thanks PJ.

MVW2, I agree we should not correlate SQ with unit cost, but I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a flatter FR down deeper then I got for a $1000 set. I was surprised, in fact, at their lack of bottom end in looking at the specs. I agree that our particular "flavor" (I like that) can't be assumed based on dollar amounts, as we all know each set has it's own voice (I could spend $600 on a Focal set and $600 on a CDT and find 2 totally different sounding sets). It would be nice if we could all find and listen to these high end sets before buying them, but seriously, even Hertz dealers may not be carrying the Mille sets in stock and they won't be on a board anywhere, so we do need to take our chances. I went for this blindly, and after looking at the specs (which admittedly, it is harder to read specs on drivers that contribute to greater then our bottom 2 octaves), after reading several reviews from users and magazines. I would like to say it was an educated blind taste test .

Sure, mixing and matching is ideal, but TBH I don't want to spend my time fvcking around with my install every week, buying and selling drivers that aren't quite right, and dealing with a good, true active installation. All the time, effort, and EQ'ing... Color me lazy, but I like a nice drop in install. I am not saying you are wrong, as I agree, we can find our particular flavor better that way, but the effort and money involved... Well, this is just a daily driver, and to me it isn't worth all that. Were I competing, yeah, I could justify the time, money, and effort required.

Had I spent a grand, I would agree, Seas Lotus would have been on my list, but I spent about 1/2 the list price . I had contemplated Morel Elates, but the price of this set made me jump all over it. It was really an amazing deal.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:15 PM  
pjhabit

pjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandt38 View Post
Well, I may bargin on that Tube Driver anyways, I am starting talks with him. So thanks PJ.
Hey no prob... just thought I'd through it out there.

As far as going fully active, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised in its benefits. The bleak outlook that comes w/ the time & effort of tuning is grossly exaggerated IMHO. In the words of Ronald Popeil "just set it & forget it!" Granted, you can always strive for that illusory set of perfect settings if you so choose, but that's all on the person.

The way your setup is evolving, it'll be interesting to see what you finally settle on (till the next "evolution" anyway ).
We have a similar taste, so I'll be staying tuned as long as you keep us updated.
pjhabit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2010, 10:29 PM  
mvw2

mvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sure, mixing and matching is ideal, but TBH I don't want to spend my time fvcking around with my install every week, buying and selling drivers that aren't quite right, and dealing with a good, true active installation. All the time, effort, and EQ'ing... Color me lazy, but I like a nice drop in install. I am not saying you are wrong, as I agree, we can find our particular flavor better that way, but the effort and money involved... Well, this is just a daily driver, and to me it isn't worth all that. Were I competing, yeah, I could justify the time, money, and effort required.
That's your decision. You have to figure out what level of effort you're willing to go through to get the results you want. I have been putting off stepping to a 3-way front stage for about 2 years simply out of laziness.

For simple drop in, my favorite so far has been the not too lofty priced Pioneer PRS set. I ran active but ended up at just about the same x-over anyways and with a -3dB cut on the tweeters that I could have done on the passive x-over too. I never used any EQing on the set.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:04 PM  
horsemanwill

horsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond repute

what kinda car is taht in?
horsemanwill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2010, 11:20 PM  
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Judging from how much time and money you appear to be spending currently, I don't think an active set-up would cost you more in either time or money.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2010, 11:34 PM  
sandt38

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemanwill View Post
what kinda car is taht in?
Buick LeSabre. I only drive Buicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
Judging from how much time and money you appear to be spending currently, I don't think an active set-up would cost you more in either time or money.
HA! I know, right? Actually I am putting the CDTs in the wife's ride, and the Cadence amp. She really liked the set. So rather them buy her a new set I figured I would try the Milles. The Anarchys, well I wasn't sure weather or not I was going to put them in the car, or build a solid set of 3 way monitors for the house... I'm still on the fence. I may go for some CDT ES-02s and cross them low... who knows, I just bought them because the price was right.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:46 AM  
mvw2

Yeah, that's kind of my thinking. Once you're spending this kind of money and actually feel you have to spend this kind of money to get the correct sound, I only see active and custom drivers (mixing and matching home/car audio hardware towards best results) as the only intelligent choice. Unless you seek an exact sound given by a specific speaker set, there is no reason to do so. If you love the woofer, you buy the woofer. Then you buy a completely separate tweeter that you also love and that matches the system well. It's pointless to constrain yourself by hardware at this price level.

It's also pointless to constrain yourself in processing either. The car is a crap environment. It takes a very good install and still specific processing on top of that to get excellent results. It really does get to the point where every single driver is specifically set at a volume level, has a specific amount of delay to time align, and has a specific EQ response applied to it. It does end up getting that exact in order to get the best results.

This is what I've been doing for the last few years. It is daunting at first, but you learn. Eventually you can't live without it ever again because of all the advantages. I will say that is beneficial to invest in good, high resolution processing. What I mean by this is that the adjustments are a lot finer. EQ and gain settings would be done in 0.5dB increments versus 1dB or 3dB. TA would be in 0.5" instead of 2". Things like this do allow greater improvement in the precision of the settings, which is oddly more helpful then you main think. For example, my Ural HU does everything in 0.5dB increments and has a 30 band EQ with separate L and R. It has TA that works in 0.25" increments instead of the common 2" increments. You won't realize the benefits of such resolution early on, but as you use products at these levels, you will start to realize the benefits.

You just don't yet understand what you're missing.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:08 AM  
Rare177

Rare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond repute

still to this day i cant say i've heard a driver quite as nice as the CDT ES-02 on the highs, for my taste it was perfect, i would buy one again, only downside is it requires a box (has no chamber)
Rare177 is offline   Reply With Quote