CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 09-03-2006, 10:00 PM   #1
geolemon

Addict

geolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond repute

How to avoid posting "dumb questions"

It's always difficult to see people posting threads asking questions like:
"What's the best ________?"
...and inevitably, everyone jumps all over them, and they feel insulted, and generally rightly so.

Here's a quick analogy to help create some awareness on why you never want to post a question like the one above (for your own good):

Imagine you are looking for a job, instead of a car audio product.
Imagine how ignorant it sounds, if you asked a question like this:
"What's the best job out there?"

In this case, you probably wouldn't be surprised when people jumped all over your butt, telling you that you probably weren't qualified for ANY job with an attitude like that... that all jobs have different requirements - which ones are you qualified for? How much are you willing to invest in yourself to make yourself qualified for jobs that pay higher than what you currently are qualified for? Are you motivated by money? Are you motivated to find a job that has you interacting with people? One that's an outdoors job? One that gives you a short commute? One where you are supervising people, or working on a team? Or working individually? Etc.

There are truly a million ways that a job can line up with your own personal expectations and qualifications, over 20,000 job titles out there (according to the US Dictionary of Occupational Titles), and probably very few of those that are actually well suited to you, and you well suited to them, depending on how much you have invested towards your suitability to any of them, as well as your own personal values and preferences.
Phew!

Well, similarly, there are thousands of car audio products out there, representing a whole range of potential implementations.
And there's a reason there are thousands of products out there.
There is no "best" anything, just as there is no "best" job.

The "best" car audio product for you is the one or two that best align with your personal expectations from it, the suitability of it given your particular vehicle, your investments into your system so far and the resulting set of variables your existing components set up for compatibility, as well as what you are willing to invest in time, space, and money into obtaining that particular car audio product.

In the end, there's going to be a small number of products that uniquely align to you, your unique preferences, your unique expectations, your particular car, your unique environment, and your particular budget.
And in a way, other people's suggestions for products should be taken with a grain of salt as well - are they making suggestions that are for you, or are they simply talking about what made them happy [given their personal goals and tastes]?

So, before posting that next question, maybe just take a moment to think about this - think things through, and ask a real question, something that will generate some intelligent results for you, rather than just flames and namecalling, because that doesn't help anyone, and it won't leave you looking intelligent (or the namecallers, for that matter).

Think about the scope and context of your question, and be sure to make some defining statements about those things along with your question! We might need to know about you, your music, your car, your existing equipoment, your musical preferences, your past systems and experiences (whatever has shaped your opinions about what is good or bad so far in your audio life), could be other things too.

Hope this helps, and here's to some more intelligent threads, with less flaming and bashing!

edit by Mr Bentwrench by forum request:
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Last edited by Mr. Bentwrench; 11-03-2007 at 11:16 AM.
geolemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 09-03-2006, 10:09 PM   #2
dolbsss

asleep for 6 yrs. woke up

dolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond repute

well that was short and to the point....
dolbsss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #3
PuffDaddy_d

PuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond repute

Geo, I stole this quote from you and now use it as an automated response to those types of questions...

"Why not simply start the thread by stating your expectations from the setup, your musical goals, how much space you are willing to sacrifice, how much power you have or are willing to purchase, and then have the collective intelligence of the forum help recommend you an enclosure to suit your goals - and then it will be pretty easy to find a subwoofer that'll fit that application."

Hope you don't mind.
PuffDaddy_d is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2006, 01:45 PM   #4
PuffDaddy_d

PuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond repute

bump...

Old 09-04-2006, 03:14 PM   #5
geolemon

Addict

geolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond repute

Haha.... that's actually a good little addition here.

I was thinking about stickying this thread for a while, and see if it helps the quality of questions coming from new enthusiasts?

Old 09-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
Byteme

Byteme has a reputation beyond reputeByteme has a reputation beyond reputeByteme has a reputation beyond reputeByteme has a reputation beyond reputeByteme has a reputation beyond reputeByteme has a reputation beyond reputeByteme has a reputation beyond reputeByteme has a reputation beyond reputeByteme has a reputation beyond reputeByteme has a reputation beyond reputeByteme has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by geolemon
Haha.... that's actually a good little addition here.

I was thinking about stickying this thread for a while, and see if it helps the quality of questions coming from new enthusiasts?
Certainly can't hurt. They are becoming repetitive. Sometimes, I feel they should just send us money to build our systems, since they worry so much about what we think sounds best.
Byteme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2006, 08:32 AM   #7
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond repute

The questions I hate the most are; "Help me pick a set of coaxials for Death Metal" and "I'm looking for a set of comps for Techno". I know certain speakers from certain companies are better at reproducing certain frequency ranges. Like Midbass, or a silky smooth midrange. But the above questions are as annoying as passing a fart that contains a nugget...or some "moisture".
ComfortablyNumb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2006, 09:49 AM   #8
The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I think this forum has too many stickies.

Geo, its not going to help man. People dont read short stickies, nonetheless long ones.

However Im going to do my part and whenever I see a poorly worded first post, i will refer them to this thread.
The_spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2006, 09:55 AM   #9
dolbsss

dolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond reputedolbsss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_spacemonkey

Geo, its not going to help man. People dont read short stickies, nonetheless long ones.

However Im going to do my part and whenever I see a poorly worded first post, i will refer them to this thread.

its all you can do really.....

Old 09-05-2006, 11:14 AM   #10
Type_X

Type_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

it's true no one reads them, and link this sticky to their terrible thread and we can see if anything changes
Type_X is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #11
geolemon

Addict

Quote:
People dont read short stickies, nonetheless long ones..
What did you want me to do, type something short?

Seriously - everything I type, I know lazy people won't read.
But for anyone where something just hasn't clicked - I want my posts to be the one that goes "Click!" [lightbulb over head]

Some people get it, when you say "There is no 'best'."

Other people just think everyone is being an a-hole to them, and take it personal. Maybe, just maybe, someone will read it and "get it".

I just happened to be thinking about job hunting the other day, and "click!", I drew the analogy, I thought it made sense.

(maybe you could try to rescript it, more concisely? )

Old 09-05-2006, 08:31 PM   #12
Vestax05pro

Associates

Location: USUC World Champion - Stock System Class, Super Street Division Special Edition Bose 26 piece speaker system with enhanced ported tweeters. 89.2 db Legal, 89.6 db Outlaw
Vestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we should start moving stickies to appropriate sections. Like the Power thread should be in either Technical or Installation. Pin your Location should be in WOT.
Vestax05pro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2006, 09:54 PM   #13
dolbsss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestax05pro
Maybe we should start moving stickies to appropriate sections. Like the Power thread should be in either Technical or Installation. Pin your Location should be in WOT.

i agree....

Old 09-06-2006, 12:23 AM   #14
PuffDaddy_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestax05pro
Definitely x2...

But then they would NEVER be read. I've been frequenting this forum for about 4 years and I have only been to WOT about 3 times.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:27 AM   #15
bridarshy

bridarshy can only hope to improve

Ahh, whats the best thread ever started? hehe.
bridarshy is offline   Reply With Quote