CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Installation Help

Old 01-11-2017, 09:32 PM   #1
drjoeshmoe

drjoeshmoe has a spectacular aura aboutdrjoeshmoe has a spectacular aura about

speakers sound weak...bad ground?

Just installed a jensen vx7022 into an 04 tundra.
I initually had a problem getting my aftermarket amp to power, you guys here were very helpful.

After getting the amplifier working...I was very disappointed with the sound quality to my 4 polk audio aftermarket 6.5" woofers.
They sound pretty weak and handle almost no low end. I just took down most of the low end frequency from the 10 band eq and let my subs do the rest.

But then I remembered....when I first powered up my hu, I remember the sound being full....my father in law even thought the amp may be on..but it was just the vibration from the door speakers.

After I got the amp working, I zip tied everything up., is it possible the speakers are getting a weak signal from a bad ground?
I have a multi meter...can I check for a bad ground?

sorry, far from an audio expert..
drjoeshmoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 01-11-2017, 11:08 PM   #2
drjoeshmoe

I checked the stereo's fader function,...there are speaker symbols for each front and rear speakers.

When selecting only 1 speaker, the sound is not completely cut off to the other non-selected speakers,...
However, I was only getting some high frequency sound from the back left,...I removed the HU and re-chrimped the connection which did nothing,...so I took my door apart,. ironically this door was replaced do to someone backing into it.

I found that this speaker has a bad coil,..only the tweeter is on, when pulling up on the cone, the sound comes back. Possibly the body shop was to rough with it?

So that was another issue not related to the HU,...possibly I got a defective head unit, or maybe the Jensen is just not enough power for my speakers? I mean it is a Jensen,...but the reviews said only positive things about the sound quality.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:30 AM   #3
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Are you using the internal amp in the Jensen to power the speakers? If so, an amplifier is the way to go. The lower the frequency, the more power it takes to reproduce that frequency at a level comparable to the higher frequencies. An amplifier from a reputable (read non-Jensen) manufacturer rated to provide enough clean power for the task will improve midbass, as will sealing up and deadening the doors if your speakers are door-mounted. If you want to know what a good amount of power you'll want from an amplifier would be, post the model number of the Polk speakers.

As a general rule, I suggest avoiding Jensen for car audio gear. Polk on the other hand makes some OK speakers, and at one time made some really nice ones (love my Polk Signature Reference components and subwoofer). When properly amplified, tuned and installed in a deadened door, a typical Polk 6.5" mid will usually have no trouble playing down to 80hz, where you want a dedicated subwoofer to take over. I think you'll have some troubleshooting to do- make sure the speakers are all connected properly, that their terminals are not being grounded out at the mounting location and that you have good continuity between the power source and each speaker. Make sure the polarity is correct from left to right.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2017, 12:32 AM   #4
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

As for reviews, the internet is full of positive and glowing reviews for mediocre or poor quality equipment.

Many online reviews are from people with no frame of reference, no clue, and nothing to compare against in terms of good audio gear...there are also many from unscrupulous retailers posing as consumers who are sitting on stacks of cheap and nasty gear they hope to move.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:43 AM   #5
drjoeshmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
Are you using the internal amp in the Jensen to power the speakers? If so, an amplifier is the way to go. The lower the frequency, the more power it takes to reproduce that frequency at a level comparable to the higher frequencies. An amplifier from a reputable (read non-Jensen) manufacturer rated to provide enough clean power for the task will improve midbass, as will sealing up and deadening the doors if your speakers are door-mounted. If you want to know what a good amount of power you'll want from an amplifier would be, post the model number of the Polk speakers.

As a general rule, I suggest avoiding Jensen for car audio gear. Polk on the other hand makes some OK speakers, and at one time made some really nice ones (love my Polk Signature Reference components and subwoofer). When properly amplified, tuned and installed in a deadened door, a typical Polk 6.5" mid will usually have no trouble playing down to 80hz, where you want a dedicated subwoofer to take over. I think you'll have some troubleshooting to do- make sure the speakers are all connected properly, that their terminals are not being grounded out at the mounting location and that you have good continuity between the power source and each speaker. Make sure the polarity is correct from left to right.
Yes, the very low output from the jensen hu.
I have a pair of db840 and a pair of what I believe are the same polks but made for best buy.
They actually sounded decent with my previous $100 pioneer single din. That was why I was so surprised the jensen is so lacking...that and the reviews seem to state others say it was a huge improvement to there stock hu...maybe because they are using low wattage stock speakers?.

thanks for the help....I will probably have to wait till next Christmas for an amplifier....as I already used the birthday excuse to the wife for the jensen....and my birthday is in may..lol

Old 01-12-2017, 01:43 AM   #6
drjoeshmoe

I was thinking of possibly not using the rear speakers and getting a small amplifier for the 2 front polks.

Would this little 65w rms sony be enough?...I am sure better than the jensen hu....for $40 on Amazon
Sony XMN502 2/1 Channel

Old 01-12-2017, 02:49 AM   #7
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-ICE800.2.html

^^ worth the extra $30

Old 01-12-2017, 07:20 AM   #8
drjoeshmoe

Quote:
Thanks, specs looks nice.
I wonder how well it will fit under my passenger seat though.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:22 AM   #9
drjoeshmoe

Quote:
that would also match the amp I have under my drivers seat, powering my 2 alpine type-r 8"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 01-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #10
SPL_Krayzie112

SPL_Krayzie112 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoeshmoe View Post

I have a multi meter...can I check for a bad ground?
SPL_Krayzie112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2017, 10:51 PM   #11
drjoeshmoe

I'm thinking, I may prefer to upgrade to a 5 channel amplifier, rather than dealing with a second amplifier just for the doors.

Like this here
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...PI-P900.5.html