CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 01-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
Fatality

Fatality is on a distinguished road

System Specs - Looking to Add an Amp, Need Help

Hey guys, so i've got my system pretty much complete for now, everything is running really good, everything is loud and clear. - Look at specs at the bottom.

Now when i was playing this song : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmP7TYtDVUU - ( On My Level - Whiz Khalifa ) my front speakers started to pop ( Only once or twice as i turned it down ).

It's only ever happened on that song, and the system was turned up pretty high ( Not sure on how high it can go, Will be checking it out on saturday ( Friday for you guys ) with the specs the head unit says ) - If i had to guess it would of been around 35-37 on the Volume level, and pretty much every other song can be played on 35-37 with no issues, but i have yet to test it's limits until distortion.

I am pretty sure it was coming from the front speakers ( They are not amped up yet, back speakers are ) but it is a VERY bass heavy song, probably the most bass heavy song i have in my play list.

I'm curious if the front speakers could be popping on that song because they are not amped up like the back speakers and there is not enough power going through to them from the HU?

Any ideas on what it could be would be great. I'm also planning on getting another amp for the front speakers ( Been doing the system in sections ), And i may even get another sub in the future so am considering getting another sub in the future.

Note : Current amp is 4chn.

Now for the time being i am thinking that i would be best off getting a 2chn mono amp and setting it up to the sub, and then amping the front/back speakers to the 4chn already installed? Would that be the best option for now? Obviously when i get another sub, i would need another mono amp ( Or would 3 amps be too much? ) Should i just get another 4 chn amp?

Considering these Amps :

https://www.performancecaraudio.com....pine-mrv-m500/

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-au...plifier/52036/

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-au...ck-amp/397384/

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-au...el-amp/942450/

Current System Specs :

Front Speakers : https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-au...peakers/69744/

Back Speakers : https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-au...eakers/398155/

Head Unit : https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-au...ceiver/762706/

Sub & Amp : https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-au...ackage/604027/

Any suggestions on the system would be great, and any suggestions on the considered amps would be awesome. At this point and time i'm only planning on amping the front speakers so the system is complete ( Eventually i will upgrade to Component/Split Speakers for the front ) But that is the next project once the entire system is amped up and maybe have a second sub installed.

Quick question to finish the rant, Will having a separate mono amp for the sub make it sound noticably different/better?

Thanks in advance again.
Fatality is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 01-11-2017, 04:48 PM   #2
ckeeler11

ckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of light

Could be settings on HU.
ckeeler11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2017, 01:13 AM   #3
Fatality

So the Volume on the HU goes to a maximum of 50. And the front speakers ( Atleast i think it was the front ) started to pop playing "On My Level" at around 37.

@Ckeeler11, what could be the problem with the settings? Too much bass coming through the front speakers perhaps? They are the only speakers not amped up, the back speakers are still crystal clear. Could it just be i need another amp for the front speakers as there's not enough power going into them to handle such a bass heavy song?

Old 01-13-2017, 02:59 AM   #4
neillio

neillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond repute

Everything costs a ton over there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpine-MRV-M...oAAOSwI-BWIXZJ
Looks like your best deal. Amp actually does 600 @ 2 ohm.

The front speakers should always be the first or only speakers amped IMO. Why just amp rears? When you go to a concert, the speakers aren't behind you. Also, the hpf should be 60-65hz(on 4ch amp), so tones below that aren't introduced to your speakers.

That Kicker DXA250.4 is a low end/budget 4ch amplifier. It does just 30x4 which is only 30% more than most head units. If it were me, I'd sell it and grab something at least 50-60x4(Alpine PMX-F640). If the amp gain and hpf is set correctly, you shouldn't have to turn your deck up past 30...ever.
neillio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2017, 05:30 AM   #5
Fatality

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillio View Post
Everything costs a ton over there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpine-MRV-M...oAAOSwI-BWIXZJ
Looks like your best deal. Amp actually does 600 @ 2 ohm.

The front speakers should always be the first or only speakers amped IMO. Why just amp rears? When you go to a concert, the speakers aren't behind you. Also, the hpf should be 60-65hz(on 4ch amp), so tones below that aren't introduced to your speakers.

That Kicker DXA250.4 is a low end/budget 4ch amplifier. It does just 30x4 which is only 30% more than most head units. If it were me, I'd sell it and grab something at least 50-60x4(Alpine PMX-F640). If the amp gain and hpf is set correctly, you shouldn't have to turn your deck up past 30...ever.
Yeah we do get stiffed over here with the price of stuff. I am really considering buying an MRV-M500 Amp, would i be better off amping both front and back speakers with the MRV-M500, and keeping the sub amped on the kicker amp? As i may get another kicker sub, i could just add the second sub to the 4chn amp that is already hooked up?

I know everyone says to amp the front speakers but my back speakers are larger and put out more power, and i prefer the sound coming from the back more than the front, hence the amping of the back in-stead of the fronts, Plus i was always planning on adding another AMP just for the Front set, but as i've done the system in sections, i decided on the back first.

That Link is a 4chn amp right?

Thanks for your input, When i play the music REALLY loud, it's at around 34-37, 37 is like the highest i've had it because it's already so loud, usually it's on around 28-34 Max. I will play around with the HPF on 60hz, i think it goes something like Off, 50hz, 60hz, 80hz, 100hz, 120hz or something. It's been set to Off atm, and the bass is really full on ( which i like ), but i'm thinking if it's on either 50,60 or 80hz i might be able to put it up even louder? Lol, i'm still getting the hang of it all and just trying to get the most out of my system as i can.|

Eventually i'll upgrade front speakers to some JL or Focal Splits.

TLDR; Prefer sound coming from the back, but always intended to amp the front too ( Want the whole system amped ).

Planning on getting a MRV-M500 Amp, Curious to know if i would be better off amping the 4 sets of speakers with the Alpine amp, and leaving the sub connected to the Kicker ( as i intend to eventually get a second sub that i could hook up to the already installed kicker amp? ) - Is this a good idea? What are your suggestions with the setup.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #6
neillio

neillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond repute

Dude, hold up. The Alpine monoblock is for your sub(s). The 4ch amp is for your speakers. If the 4ch amp has a hpf(which it should) you need to set that at around 60hz if you want those Alpine speakers to last(when you turn it up).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kicker-CompS...gAAOSwIgNXo8N7
This is the sub you have. Running the Alpine amp to 1 sub will send 300wrms to it. Running a pair of them, the ALpine amp will give you 500wrms+ @ 2 ohm(both 4 ohm subs wired parallel)

Old 01-13-2017, 07:07 PM   #7
JohnBauder

JohnBauder is a jewel in the roughJohnBauder is a jewel in the roughJohnBauder is a jewel in the roughJohnBauder is a jewel in the rough

Here is a good 4 channel amp for you - https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-au...lifier/330101/

Run fronts and rears off the 4 channel and the sub off the Alpine.
JohnBauder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2017, 08:20 PM   #8
neillio

I like where you went John. However, I didn't really look at the site...and this amp will do it all.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-au...el-amp/330105/

Sell that Kicker 4ch locally. Buy another svc 4 ohm Kicker sub. Wire channels 1-4 to your Alpine speakers. Wire the the pair of 4 ohm svc subs to 2 ohm. The 5th channel will give you 400wrms to your 12's. An amp that does it all for $398 AU.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CADENCE-Q500...MAAOSwaB5XuydP
I could buy this refurb (if you wanted) and ship it to you(since they won't).

Old 01-14-2017, 11:31 PM   #9
Fatality

Thanks for all the info guys i really do appreciate it. At the moment i only have the 1 sub, and i'm only planning on getting another amp for the front speakers and then later on i may get another sub put in, and then upgrade fronts again.

So for now i just need something that can run the 1 sub i have, so i can put the fronts on the 4chn amp, or another amp that's got enough ports to install a second sub later on. ( Is putting in a 3rd amp for a second sub ( When i have the second sub ) do-able? Or would it be better to just get another 4chn amp and only run 2 amps instead of 3 total? ).

Now it does have the HPF, and for a while it's been playing without it even on, the sub goes really hard when it's off, and as i turn it up to 50hz and 60hz, the sub becomes less "Doof Doof" if that makes sense? It goes Off, 50hz, 60hz, 80hz, 100hz.

Is running at 60hz a must? because i feel like it takes too much of the bass away from the sub? I've got it set at 50hz, which seems alright.

But you both agree that whatever i do, i should throw the fronts on the amp the back speakers are already on, and just get a separate amp for the sub?

Old 01-14-2017, 11:49 PM   #10
Fatality

Just so it is clear, When i turn my HPF from Off to 50hz, the sub bass goes down ( Not so much doof doof ) at 60hz it's even lower, and 120hz there is very minimum bass, hence why i feel like the 60hz is slightly too low ( not enoug doof doof ) for my liking - In regards to the HPF question.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #11
neillio

You don't have the amplifier set up correctly then. There's separate controls for channels 1&2 then 3&4(basically the amp is a pair of 2 channel amps). Crossover should be set 'hi' for the speakers, and 'low' for the sub. Speakers around 50hz. Subwoofer 90-100hz.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:24 PM   #12
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn't use a HPF on the sub (usually). You use a LPF on subwoofers.

I'd probably cross (HPF) those speakers at 80hz+. A good way to set the speakers is listen something bass heavy at your max listening volume and start at a high HPF frequency (say 200hz) keep turning it down until you hear distortion and then turn the HPF back up a little.

80-100hz is a good range for LPF for the subwoofer.

Last edited by Jimi77; 01-15-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2017, 07:26 AM   #13
Fatality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
You shouldn't use a HPF on the sub (usually). You use a LPF on subwoofers.

I'd probably cross (HPF) those speakers at 80hz+. A good way to set the speakers is listen something bass heavy at your max listening volume and start at a high HPF frequency (say 200hz) keep turning it down until you hear distortion and then turn the HPF back up a little.

80-100hz is a good range for LPF for the subwoofer.
I'll give that a try tomorrow or the day after sometime, I was playing around with the HPF and LPF today, and ended up putting the HPF to around 60hz, and the LPF to 50hz and i raised the Sub to +10db and have Clear Audio on.

It went from being played at 34-37 sound really really loud, to sounding about the same as it did at 34-37 at 25-30. Could i potentially damage the sub if i leave it on 50hz LPF?

Is LPF set to 50hz, and HPF set to 60hz ok? Or would you "Strongly" Suggest raising the LPF higher? - Also is having the sub at +10db ok? Or should it be lower?

Thanks in advance, will try the starting on a high HPF and lowering it until distortion happens, Should i keep my LPF at a higher level while i do this or lower level?

Old 01-18-2017, 07:58 AM   #14
neillio

http://www.bcae1.com/
go to the right side of page and click on '30' electronic crossovers

Old 01-19-2017, 07:20 AM   #15
Fatality

Thanks for the link neillio, but i didn't quite understand most of the stuff i was reading on that site, it didn't answer any of my questions in the previous post unfortunately.

Though what i did understand is, LPF is for the sub, and HPF is for the speakers, The higher the HPF the less Low Frequencies (bass heavy instruments etc) come out of the speakers and the Lower the LPF the less High Frequencies come out of the sub, in turn making it spit out more doof doof ( Bass )?

This is so confusing haha.