CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Reply
Old 01-11-2017, 10:21 AM   #1
3xposure

Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 5
3xposure is on a distinguished road



Intermittent Car Audio Issue - Please Help

Hello Forum Members!

I have recently joined in the hope someone may be able to help or give some advice.

I own a 2014 Mini Cooper S and a few month back it would seem I inherited an issue with the cars audio. When listening to my music stored on the HDD, radio or Bluetooth, the audio seemed to get slightly muffled and come back.

To some people, it may be something that they don't notice but for someone who listens to music all the time, it would seem there is certainly and issue.

The short of it is that every so often you will hear the change in audio and the only way I can describe it is that the audio is ever so slightly muffled (at the same volume) or maybe the mid tones of the audio are missing. Then it comes back to normal for a few seconds.

The issue is something I get used to for a while but then a song will come on that you know how it should sound but it does not seem quite right. Either with incorrect bass tones or ever so slightly muffled qlarity. Then some songs the bass can be perfect. Maybe its the mid tones or somthing that come and go. What would cause this? I keep thinking amplifier.

I have taken the car to be inspected by the mini dealership but they run diagnostics and could not find any issue but updated the cars software. This seems to have made no difference.

Its just one of those small things but is really bugging me.

I am hoping some audio enthusiasts may be able to help.

Thanks in advance
3xposure is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 01-11-2017, 01:15 PM   #2
Jimi77

Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 27,121
Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute



Sounds like a speaker or speakers are dropping out. Why it's happening is beyond me. Is it the OEM system?
Jimi77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
SPL_Krayzie112

Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,457
SPL_Krayzie112 will become famous soon enough



Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xposure View Post
Hello Forum Members!

I have recently joined in the hope someone may be able to help or give some advice.

I own a 2014 Mini Cooper S and a few month back it would seem I inherited an issue with the cars audio. When listening to my music stored on the HDD, radio or Bluetooth, the audio seemed to get slightly muffled and come back.

To some people, it may be something that they don't notice but for someone who listens to music all the time, it would seem there is certainly and issue.

The short of it is that every so often you will hear the change in audio and the only way I can describe it is that the audio is ever so slightly muffled (at the same volume) or maybe the mid tones of the audio are missing. Then it comes back to normal for a few seconds.

The issue is something I get used to for a while but then a song will come on that you know how it should sound but it does not seem quite right. Either with incorrect bass tones or ever so slightly muffled qlarity. Then some songs the bass can be perfect. Maybe its the mid tones or somthing that come and go. What would cause this? I keep thinking amplifier.

I have taken the car to be inspected by the mini dealership but they run diagnostics and could not find any issue but updated the cars software. This seems to have made no difference.

Its just one of those small things but is really bugging me.

I am hoping some audio enthusiasts may be able to help.

Thanks in advance
Gut the whole damn thing and replace the entire OEM system.
SPL_Krayzie112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #4
3xposure

Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 5
3xposure is on a distinguished road



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
Sounds like a speaker or speakers are dropping out. Why it's happening is beyond me. Is it the OEM system?
It does not seem as if its a speaker or speakers dropping out, it appears like it is the whole sound affected which is why I thought it might be amp?

Yes OEM...

Last edited by 3xposure; 01-12-2017 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Something missing
3xposure is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2017, 01:38 PM   #5
3xposure

Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 5
3xposure is on a distinguished road



Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL_Krayzie112 View Post
Gut the whole damn thing and replace the entire OEM system.
Well 1. This would be costly and 2. I am quite happy with the OEM which is why I am trying to diagnose where the issue is. Do you think an audio specialist would be able to get to the bottom of this?
3xposure is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #6
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: north of the 49th
Posts: 19,464
basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute



Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xposure View Post
Well 1. This would be costly and 2. I am quite happy with the OEM which is why I am trying to diagnose where the issue is. Do you think an audio specialist would be able to get to the bottom of this?
Most audio specialists won't be much good at fixing an issue with an OEM system- I would speak with the dealer and spend some time on vehicle-specific forums to see if anyone else has experienced that issue and has a fix.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2017, 12:53 AM   #7
SPL_Krayzie112

Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,457
SPL_Krayzie112 will become famous soon enough



Have the dealership replace the HU and whatever other active electronic equipment I suppose?
SPL_Krayzie112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2017, 01:15 AM   #8
Jimi77

Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 27,121
Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute



Have you tried a Mini Cooper forum?
Jimi77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2017, 07:52 AM   #9
3xposure

Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 5
3xposure is on a distinguished road



Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL_Krayzie112 View Post
Have the dealership replace the HU and whatever other active electronic equipment I suppose?
They wont replace anything unless they know something is broken. Diagnostics wont bring this up anyway I wouldn't have thought
3xposure is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2017, 07:53 AM   #10
3xposure

Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 5
3xposure is on a distinguished road



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
Have you tried a Mini Cooper forum?
yeah, Nothing yet
3xposure is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #11
jepalan

Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 749
jepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond repute



OP - I can't help you, but this linked discussion is interesting. Read it all the way through.

http://www.minif56.com/forum/353-min...em-my-f56.html

and this one...
https://www.reddit.com/r/MINI/commen...4_audio_issue/

Last edited by jepalan; 01-17-2017 at 03:24 PM.
jepalan is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
audio, fault, mini, muffled, quality

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:02 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright © 2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1996 - 2011 by CarAudioForum.com - all rights reserved.