CarAudioForum.com

Old 10-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #1
G gazoo

G gazoo is on a distinguished road

Ohm issue

Ok im sorry if this has been covered i tried searching for some time but here is my issue...
I own a kicker cx 300.4. Currently channel one runs my kicker cs components which are 4 ohm and channel two has two small rockford 10" 4 ohm subs wired as 4 ohm (unbridged) the question i have is the amp says minimum impendence bridged is 4 ohm but minimum impendence unbridged is 2 ohm so could i just hook up a pair of 4 ohm rears to chanel one and add a sort of fake rears? Im happy with the quality i get as is in its current 2.1 setup but my rears are just unplugged because im too lazy to run wire from the rears to the head unit amp. I know thats ideal but would it be safe to try plugging them into channel one?

Thanks in advance for any help.
G gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 10-11-2015, 04:29 AM   #2
MOSFET

MOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by G gazoo View Post
Ok im sorry if this has been covered i tried searching for some time but here is my issue...
I own a kicker cx 300.4. Currently channel one runs my kicker cs components which are 4 ohm and channel two has two small rockford 10" 4 ohm subs wired as 4 ohm (unbridged) the question i have is the amp says minimum impendence bridged is 4 ohm but minimum impendence unbridged is 2 ohm so could i just hook up a pair of 4 ohm rears to chanel one and add a sort of fake rears? Im happy with the quality i get as is in its current 2.1 setup but my rears are just unplugged because im too lazy to run wire from the rears to the head unit amp. I know thats ideal but would it be safe to try plugging them into channel one?

Thanks in advance for any help.
I'm sorry, I'm confvsed. YOv have a 4 channel amp (channels 1 throvgh 4). So let me get this straight, yov are rvnning yovr Kicker CS compnents in MONO? Both sets in the single channel? And then both yovr svbs in channel 2 leaving channels three and fovr vnvsed. If so, WHY? This makes no sense. If yov have a set of component speakers, why didn't yov wire one side in channel one and the other side in channel two. And then one svb in channel three and the other in channel fovr?

Before we go any fvrther, am I getting this right becavse it does not make mvch sense?

MOSFET
MOSFET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2015, 06:32 AM   #3
G gazoo

Lol guess thst could be read that way but no front left is one front right is two for a 4ohm load. The subs are each 4ohm svc so i just wired them in stereo to keep them at 4ohm as the amp says minimum 4ohm in bridged mode so so bridge the 3-4 channel would drop the load to 2 ohm and cause problems.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:21 AM   #4
MOSFET

MOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond repute

OH, OK. OI got it. Yes, that's a problem. If you were to combine both subs (2 ohm load), you could indeed plug into a SINGLE channel of the amp b/c single channels are 2 ohm stable. BUT, that would give you ABSOLUTELY NO POWER ADVANTAGE vs. the current way you are doing it (one 4 ohm sub in each channel).

My advice is look into a good single channel Class D amp that can accomodate a 2 ohm load (they ALL can), and wire your subs in parallel presenting a 2 ohm load. Otherwise you can continue using them they way your have been.

OR, you could try using a single 4 ohm sub, bridging your amp to power that one sub. ALthough you would only have ONE SUBWOOFER NOW, your power to that one sub would be TWICE the power currently going to your two subs. The gains enjoyed by this increase in power might make up for the fact your now have only one woofer.

Just an idea...
M
MOSFET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2015, 12:27 AM   #5
G gazoo

Yeah the subs are fine actually they add a little bass without rattling the car or hurting peoples ears so more power isnt really my issue i just want it to sound a little fuller. I think im going to plug in the rear speakers dropping all my speakers to 2ohm stereo. The amp should be ok with two more little 6.5" speakers and im hoping it will add a little more fill. Thanks for your help.