CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 06-29-2001, 04:00 PM   #1
PYRAMID MAN

JeNsEn AnD OpTiMuS 4 LiFe

PYRAMID MAN will become famous soon enough

JL w0, w3, w6, w7 - What's the difference??

I have TONS of questions about these JL subs..

Let's say you're on a car show and you see a system with JL subs.. is there any way of knowing if that sub is a w0, w3 or w6?
I mean, any MTX thunder sub is easily recognizable by simply looking at it. JL subs all look the same.. or are they not?

what's the difference between w0, w1, w2, and so on? How come people prefer the w3 over w0 but they have the same rms rating?? not to mention they look the same too. I dont get it..

Does JL subs have any other interesting designs besides that boring black sub with a white JL logo?

Lastly, should I get an MTX 6000 or a JLw0 or JLw3?

thnks for the help
PYRAMID MAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 06-29-2001, 04:12 PM   #2
jeffdahms69

eat a sandwich

jeffdahms69 is on a distinguished road

i had an MTX blue thunder 3x10 box with my 600 watt crossfire amp and blew all of them, one was replaced under waranty and i blew that too, i fried the wires on two and blew the coils on two, go with the JL's there extremely tough to beat, don't get w0's though cause i blew two of those also get at least W3's
jeffdahms69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2001, 04:25 PM   #3
jeffdahms69

eat a sandwich

W0's are low power, W1's have a shallower mounting depth and operate in a smaller box, good for hiding them, W3's are medium to high power, W6's are high power and utulize small enclosures, W7's have two new technologies, a radially cross-drilled pole piece and a unique vented alloy frame that provides direct cooling to the top-plate of the driver. they have massive voice coils, and with these combined you get remarkable real-world power handling and it prevents power compression effects from affecting sound quality during critical listening, they have great output potential due to there new design of the roll-over surroundthe new Wcone design gives you unprecedented stiffness and torsional rigidity with out resorting to heavy metals or composite materials, they can put out extreme out put levels with out deforming.
jeff

Old 06-29-2001, 04:27 PM   #4
jeffdahms69

eat a sandwich

i hope that answers your question on the diference between jl subs, and that old look they have, i love it.
whats more important in a sub, looks or sound? they are in your trunk you know.
jeff

Old 06-29-2001, 04:38 PM   #5
jeffdahms69

eat a sandwich

oh and the IB4 is the best, features lightweight pulp cones and special suspensions and motors designed for the demands of free-air applications. if you want outstanding bass without loosing storage space these are perfect.

Old 06-29-2001, 04:53 PM   #6
shootme5150

Fat Drunken Bastard

shootme5150 has a reputation beyond reputeshootme5150 has a reputation beyond reputeshootme5150 has a reputation beyond reputeshootme5150 has a reputation beyond reputeshootme5150 has a reputation beyond reputeshootme5150 has a reputation beyond reputeshootme5150 has a reputation beyond reputeshootme5150 has a reputation beyond reputeshootme5150 has a reputation beyond reputeshootme5150 has a reputation beyond reputeshootme5150 has a reputation beyond repute

JLs all use the same cone, so by looking at them, you can't tell a diff. I hope I'm not arguing with the wrong person here, but my views of these subs differe just a bit from jeff's.

The W1 (and W5) were JLs first speakers, W1 was lowend, W5 was highend. THe W5 got replaced by the W4 (I'm pretty sure I have those in the right order) a long time ago. Then came the W6 to replace the W4 (W4 = 4dvc, W6 = 6dvc) and the W6 has stayed around for a long time. The W0 came out to replace the old W1 with a bit of newer technology. The two are similar, requiring similar enclosures and power. The W3 is very close to the W6, but is more of a "midrange" performer. Though it will perform much like the W6 (slightly higher xmax, similar power handling and SQ), the W3 will cost a bit less, but will take a slightly larger box. The W6, from what I understand, will be phased out soon due to their new "flagship" model, the W7 and because the W3 is so similar for a better price. The W7 is just a different animal altogether. 3ohm VC (drawback, IMO), massive excursion, massive power handling, small box, funky fella. Check it out on their website.
shootme5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2001, 06:26 PM   #7
Keepa

Certified PG Nut

Keepa is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd go with the W3 over the MTX sub. The W3 is a lot better than the W0, so I would count that out, unles you don't have a lot of power. W0's are very efficient and don't need much power to get going. The W3's are efficient as well, but not quite like the W0's. If you don't have 250 watts x 2 or more, then get the W0's.
Keepa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2001, 06:32 PM   #8
Regal1975

Regal1975 has a reputation beyond reputeRegal1975 has a reputation beyond reputeRegal1975 has a reputation beyond reputeRegal1975 has a reputation beyond reputeRegal1975 has a reputation beyond reputeRegal1975 has a reputation beyond reputeRegal1975 has a reputation beyond reputeRegal1975 has a reputation beyond reputeRegal1975 has a reputation beyond reputeRegal1975 has a reputation beyond reputeRegal1975 has a reputation beyond repute

to tell them apart you can see the ib4 has a ribbed cone, the w3 and w0 have bumped backplates (big thing sticking off the back of the mag) the w6 has a flat backed mag, and the rest i dont know about...
Regal1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2001, 06:46 PM   #9
nasty_totoro

Please feeda Totoro Sushi

nasty_totoro has much to be proud ofnasty_totoro has much to be proud ofnasty_totoro has much to be proud ofnasty_totoro has much to be proud ofnasty_totoro has much to be proud ofnasty_totoro has much to be proud ofnasty_totoro has much to be proud ofnasty_totoro has much to be proud ofnasty_totoro has much to be proud of

make sure you buy them authorized .... ive seen a few problems with the foam surround on the w0s
nasty_totoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2001, 11:51 PM   #10
btal40

T-f-in' spec v

btal40 is on a distinguished road

stupid question, what does imo mean
btal40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2001, 12:44 AM   #11
PTBF150

PTBF150 will become famous soon enoughPTBF150 will become famous soon enough

Yes, the W6s are being phased out. The local shop just started carrying JL about 3 months ago, and they were told to not even bother with the w-6 because they were being phased out and the w3 was a better overall speaker(not sure if better speaker for the money, or whatever), but that is what they were told. I have a 12W3 and love it.
PTBF150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2001, 01:05 AM   #12
xplikt

xplikt is on a distinguished road

No one here even sells them anymore. THey moved to Orion and selling paint gun gear.
xplikt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2001, 02:13 AM   #13
Keepa

Certified PG Nut

Keepa is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by btal40
stupid question, what does imo mean
In My Opinion
Keepa is offline   Reply With Quote