CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 06-06-2017, 09:33 PM   #1
brewcitymike

brewcitymike will become famous soon enough

some questions regarding system 'tuning' and EQing

I was watching a vid on tuning HU and amps with the DD1 and my main 2 questions are that they say to have your eq flat, but if you find your max level up to distortion with the eq flat, won't distortion occur sooner once your eq levels are turned back up? OR is it customary to run a flat eq on your HU?? Also, when it comes to subwoofer level on the HU should it be up all the way or kept lower so you can go higher on the main volume? These may be dumb Q's to those who know, but these are just things that I'd like clarified so that I can get the best performance out of my system.
brewcitymike is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 06-07-2017, 02:52 AM   #2
SPL_Krayzie112

SPL_Krayzie112 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcitymike View Post
I was watching a vid on tuning HU and amps with the DD1 and my main 2 questions are that they say to have your eq flat, but if you find your max level up to distortion with the eq flat, won't distortion occur sooner once your eq levels are turned back up? OR is it customary to run a flat eq on your HU?? Also, when it comes to subwoofer level on the HU should it be up all the way or kept lower so you can go higher on the main volume? These may be dumb Q's to those who know, but these are just things that I'd like clarified so that I can get the best performance out of my system.
I'd leave to HU EQ flat if you only have a stand-alone EQ. If you have a DSP with that system, the HU EQ may play an integral role with "fine-tuning" the response. Less moving parts is essential with start-up systems anyway. More moving parts inherently comes along with moving forward within the learning curve.

Subwoofer control knobs were arguably taboo 15 years ago. I`d say treat it like the amplifier gain knob. Set the HU volume knob somewhere between the halfway point and the 75% point and ``feel`` the necessary adjustment towards your gains and subwoofer levels.
SPL_Krayzie112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2017, 04:23 AM   #3
brewcitymike

I don't have a stand alone EQ at the moment though I planned on most likely adding one in the future and the same goes for a DSP if I felt I needed it but i thought that was mainly for if you were running several amps and lots of mids/highs. and when I said bass knob I was referring to the amp's gain knob

Old 06-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #4
jepalan

jepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond repute

You can set the EQ flat for gain setting with DD1 and then use cut instead of boost to frequency shape so you don't overdrive the amp into distortion.

For example: if you want to boost bass with the HU EQ, leave bass freqs at 0 db and cut everything else to get the freq curve you are after.
jepalan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #5
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When it comes to the EQ, you should cut frequencies and avoid raising them. If you do raise frequencies, try to keep it below +3db.

Don't waste your money on the DD1 - you have ears and test tones and those are free. Set the subwoofer level however you want. Some people like to clip the shyt out of the subwoofer. If you're trying to avoid clipping then set it with the subwoofer level maxed out, but that means you can only turn subwoofer output down and lose out on the few extra DB one can get from clipping.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2017, 08:51 PM   #6
brewcitymike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepalan View Post
You can set the EQ flat for gain setting with DD1 and then use cut instead of boost to frequency shape so you don't overdrive the amp into distortion.

For example: if you want to boost bass with the HU EQ, leave bass freqs at 0 db and cut everything else to get the freq curve you are after.
so when you say cut I assume you mean going negative on the mid and treble? also should i set the sub hz on the HU at 80,100 or 120? I always thought it should be at the lowest freq cuz i didn't think subs like these were really meant for 100hz+

Someone else told me they got rid of their dd-1 and they just set it by ear but I don't want any clipping and I'm not experienced enough to tune by ear. Though I do wish I could just find one to borrow/rent rather than make the $150 investment on something I'll rarely use, but I just want to be sure I'm getting a clean signal and protecting the gear.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:47 PM   #7
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
so when you say cut I assume you mean going negative on the mid and treble? also should i set the sub hz on the HU at 80,100 or 120? I always thought it should be at the lowest freq cuz i didn't think subs like these were really meant for 100hz+

Someone else told me they got rid of their dd-1 and they just set it by ear but I don't want any clipping and I'm not experienced enough to tune by ear. Though I do wish I could just find one to borrow/rent rather than make the $150 investment on something I'll rarely use, but I just want to be sure I'm getting a clean signal and protecting the gear.
If you can't detect clipping by ear with test tones, then you're kinda wasting your money on an aftermarket system as obviously your hearing sucks. Seriously, unless you have a hearing issue, you should be able to detect 1-2db of clipping with test tones and ears.

If you really can't detect clipping with your ears for some reason, then a DMM is a much better choice. Not only is it cheaper, it also serves more functions.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2017, 05:22 PM   #8
brewcitymike

i heard another person say they used a DMM but I thought you need an O-scope to see when the wave starts to clip. I thought that clipping can be inaudible sometimes thats why I didn't want to attempt it by ear. So how do you see clipping with a multi meter?

Old 06-18-2017, 12:57 AM   #9
nauc

nauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond repute

watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhrDqke8BKo

heres the tones

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/downloads.htm

you wanna set your eq flat when you set your amp gain. after that, boosting frequencies can cause the amp to clip, so either dont boost or only boost at lower listening levels

Last edited by nauc; 06-18-2017 at 12:59 AM.
nauc is offline   Reply With Quote