CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Subwoofers

Old 12-02-2014, 03:30 AM   #1
circleline69

circleline69 is on a distinguished road

Wiring Help Needed - 2 Dual 2ohm subs to Kenwood KAC-9106D Amp

So I have two Dual 2ohm subs to wire up to my Kenwood KAC-9106D mono amp. The amp install diagram is causing me a little confusion.
According to the wiring wizard diagram below, it should be wired like this:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/produ...2_ohm_mono.jpg
where the 2 wires go to 2 speaker connections on a mono amp, but this amp has 4 connections for 2 speakers. Is that for wiring two 4ohm speakers?
http://s2.postimg.org/hci6ya15x/9106_Dwiring.jpg
Should I wire the subs in parallel and hook them up to the connections that go to where it says Subwoofer (L+R) ?
I want to make sure im not getting jipped on the power by hooking them up wrong !
Thanks for any help.

PS, I tried to get the pics to show in the post but it says I cannot post attachments. Anyone know why?

Last edited by circleline69; 12-02-2014 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Added PS
circleline69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 12-02-2014, 04:02 AM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by circleline69 View Post
So I have two Dual 2ohm subs to wire up to my Kenwood KAC-9106D mono amp. The amp install diagram is causing me a little confusion.
According to the wiring wizard diagram below, it should be wired like this:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/produ...2_ohm_mono.jpg
where the 2 wires go to 2 speaker connections on a mono amp, but this amp has 4 connections for 2 speakers. Is that for wiring two 4ohm speakers?
http://s2.postimg.org/hci6ya15x/9106_Dwiring.jpg
Should I wire the subs in parallel and hook them up to the connections that go to where it says Subwoofer (L+R) ?
I want to make sure im not getting jipped on the power by hooking them up wrong !
Thanks for any help.

PS, I tried to get the pics to show in the post but it says I cannot post attachments. Anyone know why?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cetUKv1...KAC-9106D.html

^^ so you have one of these...

Link to exact model/version of woofers?
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2014, 04:07 AM   #3
Jethro

Jethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond repute

The speaker outs on your amp are paralleled internally, so you can either wire just like the diagram you linked to (using a single "+" and a single "-"), or you can wire each woofer to the amp on their own set of outputs.

To use both sets of outputs, you would ignore the wires going from woofer #2 to woofer #1 in the diagram, and would instead wire the leads from woofer #2 to one set of pos. and neg. inputs, while wiring woofer #1 to the other set. Woofer #1 would be wired just as they show, with woofer #2 copied and pasted right next to it.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2014, 04:18 AM   #4
circleline69

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cetUKv1...KAC-9106D.html

^^ so you have one of these...

Link to exact model/version of woofers?
Yes thats the correct amp.
The subs are Alpine SWS-12D2 Type-S 12" Dual 2-Ohm 500WRMS

Old 12-02-2014, 04:22 AM   #5
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes thats the correct amp.
The subs are Alpine SWS-12D2 Type-S 12" Dual 2-Ohm 500WRMS
Then you'll want to wire them as Jethro said- wire the voice coils on each woofer in series (for a 4 ohm load per sub) and then wire the two subs together in parallel for a 2 ohm load at the amp.

You can wire them up to one another inside your enclosure like this (option #2):

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...2&I=22#results

...and then run one pair of positive and negative wires from your enclosure to either set of positive and negative terminals on the amp.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:22 AM   #6
circleline69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
The speaker outs on your amp are paralleled internally, so you can either wire just like the diagram you linked to (using a single "+" and a single "-"), or you can wire each woofer to the amp on their own set of outputs.

To use both sets of outputs, you would ignore the wires going from woofer #2 to woofer #1 in the diagram, and would instead wire the leads from woofer #2 to one set of pos. and neg. inputs, while wiring woofer #1 to the other set. Woofer #1 would be wired just as they show, with woofer #2 copied and pasted right next to it.
Thanks Jethro.

So please correct me if im worng, basically theres two ways of 'paralleling' them here, either using 4 wires to the amp, so that each sub is wired directly to the amp, or wiring the subs themselves in parallel and then running just 2 wires to the amp.
And either way the amp still sees a 2ohm load?

Old 12-02-2014, 04:25 AM   #7
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
Thanks Jethro.

So please correct me if im worng, basically theres two ways of 'paralleling' them here, either using 4 wires to the amp, so that each sub is wired directly to the amp, or wiring the subs themselves in parallel and then running just 2 wires to the amp.
And either way the amp still sees a 2ohm load?
The two sets of terminals are connected together inside the amp's heat sink (provided for convenience) and wiring the pair of subs at 2 ohms to one terminal or wiring one woofer at 4 ohms to each individual terminal amounts to the same load for your amp, though the latter option requires more wire to be run.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:12 AM   #8
circleline69

OK thanks for the replies. I think I get it. Wire them up like this
http://s21.postimg.org/9ymhvc7br/2xd...wiring_001.jpg
and then choose a pair of pos/neg to hook up the two wires.
( BTW, that image was scanned from the booklet that came with the sub )

Old 12-03-2014, 01:46 AM   #9
Jethro

Jethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
OK thanks for the replies. I think I get it. Wire them up like this
http://s21.postimg.org/9ymhvc7br/2xd...wiring_001.jpg
and then choose a pair of pos/neg to hook up the two wires.
( BTW, that image was scanned from the booklet that came with the sub )
You got it!
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote