CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 11-29-2009, 08:57 AM   #1
JeffAudio

JeffAudio has a spectacular aura aboutJeffAudio has a spectacular aura aboutJeffAudio has a spectacular aura about

rca cables make a difference?

Got an easy question here, but im just not sure about it.

I was just wondering. I have a nice amp kit... All 0 gauge with a nice battery terminal. But i noticed my rca's look weak and very cheap.

Do you think good rca's would make a difference?
If so does anyone know of some good ones i could order?

Thanks for the help guys.

Jeff
JeffAudio is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 11-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
atoprak

atoprak is infamous around these parts

Actually, I think it depends to your current equipment. If you have a high quality system mainly dedicated for sq .. you can feel the difference between cheap and expensive one... but it is really related with you judgment to .. you shouldn't be looking for a miracle ...

The main difference might be the isolation capacity of the cables... if the cable is cheap(let say low quality...), their shielding might not be very strong.. as result the cable collects other noises like engine .. and etc...

I think the system infrastructure is important.. if you do it right you can use it for long years.. just find some budget and buy decent (not expensive) cables... if you buy once, you shouldn't worry for future.

I will upgrade my RCA cables too .. I have been looking for Knu Krystal series, JL Audio Premium ones and some stinger staff.. My friends are using Techlink 680035 they are more than happy with these cables... the only negative part is the are really think in compare to other similar level cables.
atoprak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Once you get over a basic level of quality in cables- ones that don't allow noise to enter the signal path, hold up to the automotive environment, and can hold up/remain intact through repeated plugging and unplugging- you won't see much in the way of improvements. Some manufacturers make some pretty outlandish marketing claims, so if you can see through the BS and get a decent set of cables from a reputable brand at a reasonable price you'll be in good shape.

http://gizmodo.com/363154/audiophile...-a-coat-hanger

Last edited by basicxj; 11-29-2009 at 08:55 PM.
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
atoprak

atoprak is infamous around these parts

It is so dramatic that event when you buy a higher quality cable they might take the engine noise etc... but some cheaper ones works better.. I have Audison B2-500 which takes significant noise but cheapher, very standard, no name brand reduces the noise noticeably than the Audison.
atoprak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAudio View Post

I was just wondering. I have a nice amp kit... All 0 gauge with a nice battery terminal. But i noticed my rca's look weak and very cheap.

Jeff
RCAs either work or they don't.
Jimi77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
nauc

nauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAudio View Post

Jeff
what kit/rcas do you have
nauc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
Type_X

Type_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
this

did you see the article where people tried to compare sound of a HT setup with monster RCA's connected and then they used this makeshift coat hanger wire setup?
Type_X is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 05:02 AM   #8
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type_X View Post
this

did you see the article where people tried to compare sound of a HT setup with monster RCA's connected and then they used this makeshift coat hanger wire setup?
I haven't seen that one, but having used a zillion RCAs over the past 20+ years, I firmly believe that high end RCAs provide little to no benefit. That said, I do like high quality RCAs so that they can stand up to the rigors of the car audio world.
Jimi77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 05:46 AM   #9
Rare177

Rare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond repute

you pay for build quality mainly with RCAs, dont go knu, they fall apart..
Rare177 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #10
sandt38

Associate

Location: So, how's that HOPE and CHANGE $hit workin out for ya?
sandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond repute

In a car there is so much inherent noise that you won't hear the difference between a $4 set and a $400 set, as long as you keep any induced noise down. A shielded set works best for the typical noise induced in a car.

I suggest you get a set that doesn't feel cheap. Often, cheap feeling connectors wind up having the shielding separate from the connector. This can cause serious static or massive noise induction. Clearly we want to avoid both scenarios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
Pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoprak View Post

I will upgrade my RCA cables too .. I have been looking for Knu Krystal series, JL Audio Premium ones and some stinger staff.. My friends are using Techlink 680035 they are more than happy with these cables... the only negative part is the are really think in compare to other similar level cables.
You are wasting your money. Just buy a solid set, there is no reason to spend that much for a car, which is terribly noisy anyways. I have come to suggest monoprice for RCAs. I use them in my home system, which would be considered by many to be "high end", although I have been in rooms with systems who's speaker wire costs more then my entire system (even seen a $40,000 speaker wire? I have )... I need to win the lottery, seriously. Anyways, their cable offers the same signal transfer as high end HT cables in my system. Granted, if I was running a set of TIDAL Contriva Diacera I might notice a difference, but I am not. So look into monoprice.

$4.11 for 1 pair and $3.97 for 2 or more for 15 footers.

$5.65 for 1 pair, or $5.47 for 2 or more.

The premiums are very well made, thick, and durable. Shipping is extremely reasonable and FAR quicker then you will expect. My cables arrive all the way across country in less then 4 days.
sandt38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
Adcom

Adcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond repute

My Monster XL's look cool but they don't work any better performance. I bought them for their tiny plugs because I had clearance issues with my amps.
Adcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #12
lincoln8

Banned

Location: Over 10,000 insightful posts. Fukk lee and his turning off the post count in WOT, n1gger.
lincoln8 is infamous around these partslincoln8 is infamous around these partslincoln8 is infamous around these partslincoln8 is infamous around these partslincoln8 is infamous around these partslincoln8 is infamous around these partslincoln8 is infamous around these partslincoln8 is infamous around these partslincoln8 is infamous around these partslincoln8 is infamous around these partslincoln8 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adcom View Post
My Monster XL's look cool but they don't work any better performance. I bought them for their tiny plugs because I had clearance issues with my amps.
I thought it was all out of your car and were selling it. GTFO you Gook.
lincoln8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #13
Adcom

Adcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond reputeAdcom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln8 View Post
I thought it was all out of your car and were selling it. GTFO you Gook.
It is. What's your point? You want to buy them?
Adcom is offline   Reply With Quote