CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 10-06-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
Slag

Slag will become famous soon enoughSlag will become famous soon enough

How To Use Bass Blockers?

Well i was suggested to use a bass blocker since my front speakers kept goin distorted when the low bass hits.

http://search.cardomain.com/?query=bass%20blocker

How exactly do i use them? do i just connect my wires to them? do i have to do anything special before i have to get them to work?

Also, they mention diffrent hz to ohms? can anyone explain this to me?

And how would i know which one i need?

Thanks
Slag is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 10-06-2006, 02:54 PM   #2
TheGame420

TheGame420 will become famous soon enough

You just connect them in-line with one of your speaker wires. Different loads will produce a different cutoff frequency. I wouldn't suggest buying the ones off of sounddomain. Nothing wrong with them, but you can pick up the same thing at Rat Shack for a couple of dollars instead.

http://www.bcae1.com/capspkr.htm
http://www.bcae1.com/passxovr.htm
TheGame420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #3
TiMER

TiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond repute

You just run them on the positive line before the speaker. However, they suck mightily, I'd reccomend using a crossover instead.
TiMER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
Slag

damit, can someone give me a link to a crossover?

Old 10-06-2006, 06:52 PM   #5
wilcoxiv

wilcoxiv is on a distinguished road

If you buy a x-over, it still may not sound right, unless it's an active xover which costs some $. Buy a component set. You will be much happier. edis are nice and so is the price.
wilcoxiv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2006, 07:29 PM   #6
geolemon

Addict

geolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the skinny:

All bass blockers are, are the world's most simple crossover filter... all they are are bipolar capacitors, little 10 cent parts. But "you get what you pay for" - they have the shallowest rolloff slope, just 6dB/octave.
That means, if you have 100hz bass blockers, they'll only filter the music by 6dB quieter by 50hz, and only 12dB quietery by 25hz.

Most "real" crossovers at least have 12dB/octave slopes - and that involves more sophisticated components. Hell, most head units have crossovers built in, and many of those you can adjust the slope to whatever you want, even 18dB/octave and 24dB/octave.

The reason your speakers are "distorting" as you say is because they are bottoming out on all the bass. The lower you ask a speaker to play, the more excursion it naturally will reach trying to play that low stuff - at a rate of 4x increase in excursion for every octave lower you ask it to play.

...little speakers simply don't have that much excursion. That's why your subwoofers do.

That's why the bass blockers were recommended. It's the easy/cheap solution.
However, the actual crossover frequency is determined in part by your speaker's impedence. So, you need to know what impedence your front speakers are.
Almost all (99%) car audio full-range speakers are 4 ohms - so that's your safe bet.
geolemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
Slag

i believe mine are 4 ohms,

How would i go about figureing out which bass blocker i need?

Old 10-11-2006, 07:58 PM   #8
Lil.Tay

Lil.Tay is on a distinguished road

i hooked bass blockers to the tweeters from Elemental Designs $125 component set, ran off the HU. Never turned them up past 70%, and they blew within a day. Any idea why? (I did it this way cuz the crossover and woofers were never pulled from a car that got totalled)
Lil.Tay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2006, 05:26 PM   #9
Slag

So heres a question, i got a order of bass blockers, i ordered a pair of 600 hz and a pair of 800hz blocker. well crutchfield suggests that you use 600hz for my size speakers if you have "low power" and the 800hz if you have "high power"

Well what do they mean by power? my order is backordered cause there waiting to get a few more from the manufacturer.

i figure if i could just get 1 pair, i would be able to call in and just cancel the other one, and save my self a few bucks.

if it helps, i've got a 89' Jetta, with 2 L5's and a cadence Z7000. no upgrades yet, no cap or new alt, so its preety much all stock, would that quallify as low? or high power?

Old 10-17-2006, 11:12 PM   #10
geolemon

Addict

geolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil.Tay
i hooked bass blockers to the tweeters from Elemental Designs $125 component set, ran off the HU. Never turned them up past 70%, and they blew within a day. Any idea why? (I did it this way cuz the crossover and woofers were never pulled from a car that got totalled)
Yes, because the lower you ask a speaker to play, the higher the excursion it tries to reach to produce that note at the same dB level... excursion grows by a factor of 4x for every octave lower you ask a speaker to play.

A typical tweeter can play safely down to about 4000hz usually, sometimes a bit lower than that.

Bass blockers typically start attenuating somewhere around 200hz or so.

If we do the math....
Let's say that tweeter didn't bottom out until 2000hz (one octave below 4000hz).
1000hz is one octave below that (4x the excursion).
500hz is one octave below that (4x the 1000hz excursion).
250hz is one octave below that (4x the 500hz excursion).
And the bass blocker probably didn't start attenuating until about 200hz.
And worse - it only attenuates at a rate of about 6dB/octave (or in excursion terms, about 2x reduction in displacement per octave ).

so it's obvious, the tweeters probably should have actually blown a lot FASTER than just "one day"

Old 10-17-2006, 11:17 PM   #11
geolemon

Addict

Head unit power would qualify as "low power". Because a head unit isn't large enough to house a power supply, you are limited to rail voltages on the onboard amp of just 12-14v, meaning a wattage of about 21w per channel at most, with 4 ohm speakers in the car. That holds true no matter what the faceplate says. (and that's why "real amps" are so large - the transformer and power supply inside them)

A real amp, something 75 or 100w per channel would be more "high power".

Old 10-18-2006, 12:39 AM   #12
Slag

so i got them...bass is blocked out....i need bass! lol time for midbass woofers