CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 03-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
Unknown_Stylz

Unknown_Stylz will become famous soon enough

Subwoofer losing power during strange circumstances...

I'm new here, so take it easy on me if you could hah.

So I've got a very small system in my truck, that includes
Pioneer head unit 50w x4
Two Pioneer 150w 4x6 speakers
Two Kicker DS46 100w 4x6 speakers
Kicker DX 125.2 Amp
Kicker 10" Comp 300w Sub in a Comp VT enclosure

My issue is that every other time (or so)that I take a turn or hit a bump or climb a steep(ish) hill, the sub loses tremendous power, but other times, like when the truck is level, not moving, or just isn't running at all (just battery power) it will function normally.

I've checked every wire possible, the alternator is 2 years old, and the only thing not necessarily normal about the system is that my RCA out's were fried on the Head unit so there's an adapter in place that piggybacks off of the rear speaker wires then puts that signal into RCA out's.

I've checked the RCA wires, the speaker wires, the ground and power cables and at this point I'm at a loss. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Unknown_Stylz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 03-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
Reeseman

Reeseman will become famous soon enoughReeseman will become famous soon enough

Double check your ground. I've seen the ground be the problem of this issue 90% of the time. Make sure your wire is securely fastened to your. Battery as well
Reeseman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
Unknown_Stylz

Well, I didn't do this myself, the ground disappears into somewhere under the cubby hole in the extended part of the cab, I'll have to do some serious digging but I'll be sure to give that a go. And I'll definitely check the battery connection.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
Unknown_Stylz

The connection to the battery is good, as for the ground, I can't figure out where they grounded it to, it just vanished somewhere under the carpet, I can re fasten the ground on the amp but if the problem persists should I just assume it's not grounded right on the other end of the wire?

Old 03-09-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
Reeseman

Reground if you can. Personally I do a 3ft max on the ground cable. You should be able to left your carpet up somewhere

Old 03-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
Reeseman

Make sure the new grounding site is properly prepped, meaning sanded to bare metal, and crimped tightly with a ring terminal and using a self tapping screw (3/4" if I remember correctly)

Old 03-09-2012, 01:41 AM   #7
Unknown_Stylz

I found the ground and it's in nice and firm, I didn't check to see if the area was sanded down because I didn't see your reply until just now and everything is reconnected again, I'll have to check tomorrow, but I disconnected the Power and Ground out of the amp and secured it again. I'll have to see how it goes when I drive around tomorrow but if it still continues I'll unbolt the amp and reground it myself. The Ground cable itself is only a foot or a foot and a half at the most, and it's grounded underneath the amp for some reason. I guess next time I'll install myself instead of letting Audio Express do it.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:29 AM   #8
only126db

Banned

only126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond repute

you could have a cold solder joint in your amp thats broken.

to check this wiggle the rca wires at the amp while playing the system, if the sound fluctuates thats your problem.
only126db is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2012, 04:16 AM   #9
Unknown_Stylz

Wiggle it while it's fully plugged in to the RCAs in the amp? And I would hope that's not the case, I bought it like a few months ago. Although it was the Display amp and was hooked up for who knows how long. Last time I settle for display models because of time constraints.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
only126db

Banned

only126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_Stylz View Post
Wiggle it while it's fully plugged in to the RCAs in the amp? And I would hope that's not the case, I bought it like a few months ago. Although it was the Display amp and was hooked up for who knows how long. Last time I settle for display models because of time constraints.
yes, while everything is plugged in and running, doesnt have to be loud, just to see if it has an effect.

Hold the rca wire right where it connects at the amp, one side at a time, wiggle up and down, should not need to apply much force at all so dont get crazy.

what happens is sometimes from bumping the rca connectors or plugging and unplugging the amp many times the solder inside breaks and since you said its basically a used amp you never know how it was treated.

if thats it its a very easy fix.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
Unknown_Stylz

I did as you said and there was no fluctuation In sound. But I found out even the slightest shift in my seat and it will start fluctuating tremendously. When my system was installed the power cable was run underneath my kickplate on the drivers side, would that have anything to do with it? I mean this is really strange the only thing I can think of is maybe its not grounded to the metal well enough or it could be my 4 year old battery somehow...

Old 03-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
only126db

Banned

Quote:
I did as you said and there was no fluctuation In sound. But I found out even the slightest shift in my seat and it will start fluctuating tremendously. When my system was installed the power cable was run underneath my kickplate on the drivers side, would that have anything to do with it? I mean this is really strange the only thing I can think of is maybe its not grounded to the metal well enough or it could be my 4 year old battery somehow...
not the battery, you need to check your wires, it sounds like there may be either a loose or damaged cable.

unhook the amps power at the battery then pull up the kick/threshold and make sure the cables not damaged

i think u mean the door area right?

Old 03-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
Unknown_Stylz

Yeah the area where the door sits over. They lifted up the kickplate and ran the RCA and power under it them screwed it back down. And i'll try that. It's just strange. I also heard that it could be the magnet behind the subwoofer is loose and moving around, but that wouldn't explain why it doea it when im sitting still. So this doesn't sound like a problem with the amp then?

Old 03-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
only126db

Banned

Quote:
Yeah the area where the door sits over. They lifted up the kickplate and ran the RCA and power under it them screwed it back down. And i'll try that. It's just strange. I also heard that it could be the magnet behind the subwoofer is loose and moving around, but that wouldn't explain why it doea it when im sitting still. So this doesn't sound like a problem with the amp then?
i bet the rca wire has a screw through it or something.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
Reeseman

i bet it does, a while ago i ran my power wire through there and one of the clips that clips that plastic too the frame sliced right through it and shorted it out and blew a fuse. Dont see why the same kind of thing cant happen for an rca cable