CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 05-27-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
ChevKev

ChevKev is on a distinguished road

6.5 & 6x9's in box or not

Hey Guys,

In what conditions will 6x9's sound better, in a sealed box or just in free air?

And the same question for the 6.5" woofer in a component set.

Thanks
ChevKev is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 05-27-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
pontiacfieroguy

pontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond repute

if the 6.5 is in the kick panel seal the back off of get one of those foam enclosures from crutchfield, if its in your doors then seal the inner door panel when you are applying your deadener and that will create an enclosure
pontiacfieroguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevKev
Hey Guys,

In what conditions will 6x9's sound better, in a sealed box or just in free air?

And the same question for the 6.5" woofer in a component set.

Thanks
By "free air" you mean installing it Infinite Baffle in something like a door or rear deck? Don't laugh- a member once touted running 6X9s unmounted and unenclosed, sitting on the floor below the seats...truly "free air" .

You'll get better lower frequency response with 6X9s infinite baffle mounted in a rear deck when used with the typical low power from a head unit or small amp. If you mount the same 6X9s in small enclosures, you'll need much more amplifier power to reap the same amount of lower frequency output, but I'd expect the output would be much cleaner- the enclosure will offer the cone more air spring and there's less chance of uncontrolled excursion of the cone.

Entry-level speakers (both 6.5 and 6X9) are usually designed for infinite baffle mounting, and performance of either will improve if installed in a properly deadened door as suggested above. You can use the same deadening product (like Second Skin's Damplifier, Dynamat's Xtreme) underneath the speaker's mounting surface to further "decouple" the speaker from the panel and reduce resonances/buzzing/vibration- definitely a good idea.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
brblx

brblx has a reputation beyond reputebrblx has a reputation beyond reputebrblx has a reputation beyond reputebrblx has a reputation beyond reputebrblx has a reputation beyond reputebrblx has a reputation beyond reputebrblx has a reputation beyond reputebrblx has a reputation beyond reputebrblx has a reputation beyond reputebrblx has a reputation beyond reputebrblx has a reputation beyond repute

most good 6.5" comp sets were designed with free-air in mind. even if i had the room to enclose them, i would be afraid of negatively affecting frequency response.

seperate the front wave from the back, made sure the area around them is properly deadened, and make sure your mounting surface is rigid.

that's all i'd do.
brblx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
ChevKev

ChevKev is on a distinguished road

The spots where the speakers are gonna be are these:

6.5" Type-X Components in the Dash (in the same spots where i mounted the 4x6's for now).
6"x9" JL Audio VR's will be in the centerconsole which i'm gonna start on pretty soon.

And i am going completely for SQ, don't know if you need to know this.

Quote:
By "free air" you mean installing it Infinite Baffle in something like a door or rear deck? Don't laugh- a member once touted running 6X9s unmounted and unenclosed, sitting on the floor below the seats...truly "free air" .
Yes i've seen that too, but i don't mean "truly free air", like you can see, they will be mounted in the dash, and it's pretty easy to make a little "subbox" inside the dash. Same thing with the centerconsole, no problem to make a box inside of it, as the speaker sits on the "wall" of the console anyways.

Last edited by ChevKev; 05-27-2007 at 10:17 PM.
ChevKev is offline   Reply With Quote