CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Subwoofers

Old 04-03-2007, 11:04 PM   #1
coop3422

coop3422 can only hope to improve

Question Kicker L7 vs Alpine Type R

Hey guys, I was all gung-ho about getting a 12' Alpine Type R, my buddy has one and it sounds great. This was what I was intedning to get, http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...2212&rd=1&rd=1 but am now curious about possible a Kicker L7 http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...0906&rd=1&rd=1 . Never heard one though, how would the two compare? I listen to a mixture of rock and rap, the kiker will be in a sealed enclosure, and it will be in my trunk. The amp I will be running will be more than powerfull enough for either one of these, looking at the Cadence Z900. 800w rms for 1 channel. The kicker is a lot more money, is it worth it. what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance
coop3422 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 04-04-2007, 12:55 AM   #2
swab

swab is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop3422
Hey guys, I was all gung-ho about getting a 12' Alpine Type R, my buddy has one and it sounds great. This was what I was intedning to get, http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...2212&rd=1&rd=1 but am now curious about possible a Kicker L7 http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...0906&rd=1&rd=1 . Never heard one though, how would the two compare? I listen to a mixture of rock and rap, the kiker will be in a sealed enclosure, and it will be in my trunk. The amp I will be running will be more than powerfull enough for either one of these, looking at the Cadence Z900. 800w rms for 1 channel. The kicker is a lot more money, is it worth it. what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance
"Hi-Tech Fiberglass Tube Enclosure that sounds
cleaner and louder than ANY standard box!"

i though that was a display case, i didnt know the subs played in that cylinder thing
swab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2007, 01:01 AM   #3
Type_X

Type_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swab
"Hi-Tech Fiberglass Tube Enclosure that sounds
cleaner and louder than ANY standard box!"

i though that was a display case, i didnt know the subs played in that cylinder thing
that cylinder thing is just a weird bandpass enclosure

OP: why would you seal the L7? generally people use them in ported setups
Type_X is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2007, 01:09 AM   #4
marcusb

marcusb has a spectacular aura aboutmarcusb has a spectacular aura aboutmarcusb has a spectacular aura about

They're over charging for that Type R setup, that is one of the original Type R's, and that box doesn't make up for the extra $$.

As far as sound goes, I've owned both and I can honestly say that (both used with the same amp, same voice coil configs, same size boxes, both sealed) the L7 got a heck of a lot louder for me, but I prefered the (decent amount of) sound quality the Type R had over the L7.

Don't get me wrong, neither of those subs is known for sound quality, but the L7 sounded louder where as the Type R sounded more accurate.. at least in my setup. However, I can't say which will be best for you =)

EDIT: I feel like I should note that I had both of them run at (approx.) 500 watts RMS, the Type R was over powered and the L7 was under powered.

Last edited by marcusb; 04-04-2007 at 01:12 AM.
marcusb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2007, 11:25 AM   #5
coop3422

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusb
They're over charging for that Type R setup, that is one of the original Type R's, and that box doesn't make up for the extra $$.

As far as sound goes, I've owned both and I can honestly say that (both used with the same amp, same voice coil configs, same size boxes, both sealed) the L7 got a heck of a lot louder for me, but I prefered the (decent amount of) sound quality the Type R had over the L7.

Don't get me wrong, neither of those subs is known for sound quality, but the L7 sounded louder where as the Type R sounded more accurate.. at least in my setup. However, I can't say which will be best for you =)

EDIT: I feel like I should note that I had both of them run at (approx.) 500 watts RMS, the Type R was over powered and the L7 was under powered.
of the 2 which did you prefer? Oh and the only reson i was considering the kicker in a sealed box is because of the amount of space I have.

Would you guys recomend just buying a 10' Type R and putting it in an enclosure like this : http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...9162&rd=1&rd=1 or
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...6521&rd=1&rd=1
or buy this and throw the sub in the trash: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...7776&rd=1&rd=1

Or this for the L7, not sure if it will fit tho, will be very tight, thats why I was considering sealed, but if it will make that much of a difference I will make it work http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...2911&rd=1&rd=1

This is the amp I am getting http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...8679&rd=1&rd=1

Now I do want loud, but SQ is more important to me. Let me know what you guys think out of what I have put here, or even suggest something you feel may work better. Trying to be budget consious though. Thanks everyone, appreciate it

Old 04-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #6
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

15" Dayton DVC in a 2.5 to 3 cuft box.

If you can't give up that much space, then the 12" Dayton DVC would be a good choice. It'll work in 1.5cuft sealed.

The Dayton Titanics are on sale too and require even less space and have greater power handling.
Jimi77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
coop3422

that dayton isn't very powerful though is it, only 350rms. Looking at 500rms+. The dimensions I am looking for something that I can put in a box that is about 16' wide, 12-14' deep, and 18' or less tall. also I was considering aiming the subwoofer up towards the top of the trunk? but would that sound worse than pointing into the middle of the trunk?

Old 04-04-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop3422
that dayton isn't very powerful though is it, only 350rms. Looking at 500rms+. The dimensions I am looking for something that I can put in a box that is about 16' wide, 12-14' deep, and 18' or less tall. also I was considering aiming the subwoofer up towards the top of the trunk? but would that sound worse than pointing into the middle of the trunk?
Who knows which way will sound better, but I'd try to fire the sub thur the holes on the package shelf.

As for power handling the Dayton DVC handles 350rms per coil, 600rms total. Realistically, the sub generally hits it's mechanical limits ~400rms. I'm not sure if you understand how all this works, but there is no reason to believe a Type R will outperform DVC just because it'll handle a little more power.

Since I'm familiar with both subs, I'll say the DVC is gonna outperform the Type R in most cases; it gets as loud, sounds better and does so with less power. The Type R does offer the different VC configurations and doesn't require as much space. For a bandpass or SPL box, I'd probably go with a Type R.

If you absolutely must have the additional power handling, then get a Dayton Titanic. Just remember that you need an amp that puts out max power at 4 ohms. You have enough room for a 15" Titanic and that can handle 800rms.
Jimi77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2007, 09:30 PM   #9
marcusb

marcusb has a spectacular aura aboutmarcusb has a spectacular aura aboutmarcusb has a spectacular aura about

I just picked up a Diamond D6 12D2, recommended wattage is 600 watts RMS, you can get it in either dual 2 or dual 4 ohm. Recommended enclosure sizing is .87 cu/ft sealed - 1.25 cu/ft ported @ 28Hz.

I've got mine in a 1.9 cu/ft sealed box firing up at my trunk lid and it gets very loud, while retaining excellent sound quality. I'm in the process if building a new (closer to spec.) box, and once I switch it to the new box I'm sure it'll sound even better.

I've got mine running at just under 700 watts RMS.

You can get the sub for $172 shipped from Here

Maybe this is any option you'll want to consider?

Old 04-04-2007, 09:56 PM   #10
coop3422

that looks pretty good, how come the auction says 1000 rms? also, what do others thing about that diamond audio?

Old 04-04-2007, 10:00 PM   #11
marcusb

I'm not sure, but I ordered mine through that guy and I got it exactly as it should be (Diamond D6 12" Dual 2 ohm, brand new in the packaging).

He over charges for shipping, but even after shipping you're still saving nearly $250 off of retail for that sub. It retails for $399+tax everywhere, at least where I am.

EDIT: After you order it, you specify which version you want (dual 2 ohm or dual 4 ohm). Also, he owns a shop called Cruisin' Car Stereo in New York, and his shop is authorized to sell Diamond Audio products.

Last edited by marcusb; 04-04-2007 at 10:02 PM.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:31 PM   #12
JT1979

JT1979 has a spectacular aura aboutJT1979 has a spectacular aura aboutJT1979 has a spectacular aura about

Go with this!!!!!!!!!!

This is what I have my wife set up with and damn does it SLAM to ne music and have GREAT SQ also.

1 Alpine Type R 10" dvc 2ohm = sonic elecrtonics.com = $109.00 plus shipping
1 1.25 cu.ft. ported enclosure = $25 built by me
1 Hi-Fonics Zues ZX1000 = sonic elecronics.com = $199.99 plus shipping

This is in the trunk of a 1993 Crown Victoria and it is LOUD! I bought another Type R 10 for her, but I am going to get another ZX1000 to power it also, as it puts out 1000wrms @ 4 ohms bridged

It puts out 500x2 rms @ 2 ohms, but there is a big diff. between putting 500 watts and then putting 1000 watts to the Type R 10.

I promise you, you WILL NOT be disappointed. I've owned a pr of Kicker S10L7 subs in a ported enclosure, and yes, I think they have been a little louder, but the SQ of these Alpines at loud volumes amaze me!

Check all the equipment out here:
Amplifier = http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...cs+ZX1000.html
Subwoofer = http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+-TYPE+R-.html
JT1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2007, 10:42 PM   #13
JT1979

JT1979 has a spectacular aura aboutJT1979 has a spectacular aura aboutJT1979 has a spectacular aura about

Get this set-up!

Dbl. Posted

Old 04-04-2007, 10:46 PM   #14
marcusb

Putting 1000 watts to a single Type R 10" will fry it faster than butter on a hot skillet.

All else aside, the Type R is a good subwoofer, no doubt about that.. but the Diamond D6 will put it to shame for only a few dollars more (including shipping on both subs).

EDIT: No offense intended to the previous poster.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:54 PM   #15
JT1979

The type R 10 is 500 rms and 1500 peak, how do you figure it will fry it?
I have been told this is an excellent combo, by many car audio guys that have been doing this for years!

Just curious, no offense intended