CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 05-03-2001, 03:05 PM   #1
geolemon

Addict

geolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond repute

Sub Amp - (bye-bye MA Audio)

After E-mailing a certain CAF regular industry executive regarding recommended power levels given his subs in a given enclosure, he said he did not think too highly of the MA Audio amp that I was asking advice on in this thread:
http://www.caraudioforum.com/Forum1/HTML/034703.html
Really the thing that bothers me the most is that although the MA Audio amp might be a good sub amp, I really don't know how much power it is putting out, assuming MA Audio's power specs are the "ILS" (If Lightning Strikes) specs.

Besides, my customer found someone willing to give him $600 for this amp.

I am looking (on his behalf) for recommendations on an amp to be used for powering two Audiomobile Mass's.
I want this:
-- 1200-1600 watts RMS ideally, either into a 2 ohm mono or 4 ohm mono load (I am going to decide on SVC or DVC subs after settling on an amp).
-- Built in crossover, low pass, infinately adjustable desired, but I could settle on a 75 or 80 Hz low pass if fixed.
-- $600 max price tag, I can do either new or used to meet this constraint. In fact, I would almost lean towards the "used" side of things, as I could probably get a better / more powerful amp for the price. However, new has its advantages, if there is an amp that meets all these requirements for these dollars, brand new, let me know!

Please offer up your recommendations. This is a sub amp, so raw power is more important than finesse here.
Let me know what you think, please! Also, let me know of some mail-order sources as well (and recommendations on those too, especially regarding warranty...)
Thanks, all!
-Chris E
geolemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 05-03-2001, 03:39 PM   #2
RoDDoG

RoDDoG has a spectacular aura aboutRoDDoG has a spectacular aura aboutRoDDoG has a spectacular aura about

If youre going for 2 mass 12's and you get DVC, get a mmats d200hc, cadence, phd2, or usamp 2000x and wire the subs down to 1 ohm.

If you get SVC get a mmats d300hc amp. I dont know how much money you want to spend but those are just some options
RoDDoG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2001, 04:23 PM   #3
PontiacGP

PontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant future

What about a hifonics gen xi zeus amp? 1200 rms at 2 ohm bridged around $650 on the net.
PontiacGP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2001, 04:25 PM   #4
PontiacGP

PontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant futurePontiacGP has a brilliant future

What about a hifonics gen xi zeus amp? 1200 rms at 2 ohm bridged around $650 on the net.
PontiacGP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2001, 04:42 AM   #5
Jordan NY

Right Honourable Lord

Location: New York City, please don't step on the homeless =)
Jordan NY will become famous soon enough

Go to www.Ubid.com, and you can pick up a brand new Orion XTR 1400 (actual output is around 1600w RMS, 4 ohm mono) for about $450. They sell on Buyloud.com for $700, the Zeb for $800, on Sound Domain for $1000. They're great amps, but they draw a nice amount of current. They have a built in high-pass subsonic filter (10Hz-10KHz) and a variable low pass (45Hz-5KHz), remote gain, warranty, ect. Plus, I think they look great too. lol

And although I'm not a big fan of Rockford, you can get the BD1000 amps on Ubid cheap too, but I'd take the XTRs over the rockfords anyday. (Just a preference, no need to flame)

Jordan

[This message has been edited by Jordan NY (edited 05-04-2001).]
Jordan NY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2001, 04:59 AM   #6
bassholic

bassholic is on a distinguished road

I second a cadence a7hc, mostly b/c thats what i have now, but all the high end amps already named will and should meet your needs. Im youd like to save money look used...you can use the extra money fro other audio things.....
bassholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2001, 11:31 PM   #7
bassfreak

Freestyle GOD

bassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond repute

if i where you i woud get the new mtx810 the have some ne nicefeatures and put out around 1400watts at 4ohms and can be had with a warranty for 450 at http://www.woofersetc.com/showitem.taf?item_ID=900
bassfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2001, 03:01 AM   #8
geolemon

Addict

geolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Ubid was an option (I have bought 3 XTR amps there myself, for my customers). However, I caution anyone who uses Ubid, you CAN get screwed on their shipping costs...

By the way, $600 was the price limit, in case I didn't mention it earlier.

Apparently, he has found some sucker to buy his box and 6 MA Audio subs for $600, and the same sucker wants to buy his amp for $600. With that budget, we are buying 2 Mass's (about $600), and an undetermined amp.
(Hmmm. Where's he going to get the money to pay me? )

And the D300HC intrigues me, but I haven't seen any in person, and I doubt that there are any authorized dealers on the web...
I have had great luck with MTX in the past too...
I wish Alpine made an amp like this, I love my V12's.
Anyone else, online dealer and/or recommendations?
-Chris E

Old 05-05-2001, 03:18 AM   #9
Jordan NY

Right Honourable Lord

LOL, hey, for $170 for an XTR 500, they can charge me the $20 in shipping ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. It's still cheaper than the $375 without shipping the Zeb charges. =)

Jordan

Old 05-05-2001, 03:44 AM   #10
Bmr4life2

Bmr4life2 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, i've got a XTR 1200 and XTR 1400 on the way from UBID, the shipping was kind of crazy but they were both still a lot less than anywhere else i've seen including ebay.
Bmr4life2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2001, 02:35 PM   #11
Stokes

Stokes is on a distinguished road

Why not a jbl bp1200.1?

1200watts rms into 2ohms

might be a good choice
Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2001, 06:03 PM   #12
regal1975_5

regal1975_5 is on a distinguished road

yeah i say the d300hc... though for a licensed retailer you would have to look offline... mad power though... 1750 watts tested... would make those mass slam
regal1975_5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2001, 02:40 AM   #13
tech

tech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Bmr4life2:
Yeah, i've got a XTR 1200 and XTR 1400 on the way from UBID, the shipping was kind of crazy but they were both still a lot less than anywhere else i've seen including ebay.
You get them at that cheap price because they are "B-stock" product with no warranty.
tech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2001, 03:14 AM   #14
geolemon

Addict

OK, I visited a new somewhat-local dealer today, located someone who knew somewhat what they were talking about (an installer I believe, with a Toyota Carolla, of all things, on Hydraulics, with 2 Shocker 15"s and 7600 watts.. ouch).
He recommended, given around $600, an Ample audio amp ("class X"(marketing hype?), or Type X series), or a Massive amplifier (a monoblock style), a Memphis amplifier, or another brand that began with a "C" (not Cadence, not Coustic, not Clarion...) that I can't pull out of my head right now...
They all had power specs right in the range I am looking for, and had prices anywhere from $499 - $699. I believe all were Class D (I don't know about the Ample).
=- Bear in mind, this is the first I have seen any of these (either new brands, or new to this area), and I do want to solidly upgrade my customer from "MA Audio" grade stuff, like he is running now...

Can anyone offer comments on:
Ample ("X")
Massive (monoblock)
Memphis (?)
C... (sorry, any guesses?)

Thanks to all again...
-Chris E
PS. I am going to see what prices I can get on MTX amps here (Circuit City maybe), always liked their amps in the past...

Old 05-06-2001, 04:11 AM   #15
Jordan NY

Right Honourable Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by tech:
You get them at that cheap price because they are "B-stock" product with no warranty.
Um, noooooooooo..... They actually come with a warranty. They're cheap as dirt because they were last year's models. As for the XTR 1200, it's refurbished, but the XTR 375, 500, 500.4, 800.4, 900, 1400 are all new.

Jordan