CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 03-21-2017, 12:59 AM   #1
DownNDirty63bug

DownNDirty63bug will become famous soon enough

Ssa..diamond HEX... Focal KRX2

So I'm currently running a pair of diamond HEX 6.5 600s components...bought a pair of SSA evil 6.5 and they're about to be releasing a evil Tweeters as well. And I'll be picking up a pair of those, To go with my ssa icon 12.. there's nothing wrong with the Diamond HEX I just want to be running all SSA. But I figured I'd still have a nice set hex speakers for a future build. All I will need is crossovers. So I placed a bid on a pair of Focal krx2 xovers for 27 bux thinking id be out bid...i was not.. whitch of the xovers would be better. Or does it not matter?
DownNDirty63bug is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 03-21-2017, 01:27 AM   #2
bassfreak

Freestyle GOD

bassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond repute

you know nothing about the tweeters and very little about the mids why get a crossover that's more likely than not going to blend well?

Last edited by bassfreak; 03-21-2017 at 02:19 AM.
bassfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2017, 01:41 AM   #3
DownNDirty63bug

Because i like to be made to feel like a dip sh*t by strangers on the Internet. =D

Last edited by DownNDirty63bug; 03-21-2017 at 01:53 AM.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:18 AM   #4
bassfreak

Freestyle GOD

bassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond repute

Im not trying to be mean but its apparant you know enough to ask if anyone has any experience with the equpiment first.
Im not here to hurt anyones feelings im here to help you think critically and make good choices so you dont waste time and money.
Denim visits the forum and hes a good dude.
Im sure he coukd help you make a good decision you won't regret and something that will complement the speakers.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:20 AM   #5
bassfreak

Freestyle GOD

Fyi. For good budget xovers you can build your own for 75 bucks. For ultra highend stuff 250$

Old 03-21-2017, 03:16 AM   #6
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownNDirty63bug View Post
So I'm currently running a pair of diamond HEX 6.5 600s components...bought a pair of SSA evil 6.5 and they're about to be releasing a evil Tweeters as well. And I'll be picking up a pair of those, To go with my ssa icon 12.. there's nothing wrong with the Diamond HEX I just want to be running all SSA. But I figured I'd still have a nice set hex speakers for a future build. All I will need is crossovers. So I placed a bid on a pair of Focal krx2 xovers for 27 bux thinking id be out bid...i was not.. whitch of the xovers would be better. Or does it not matter?
Of course it matters- crossovers tailored to your component set will be better than adapting something meant for other drivers. You want crossover points that protect the tweeters, allow them to blend with your mids for the most seamless response, and keep distortion out of your mids.

Some tweeters excel at playing low, while others will break up or even suffer damage if crossed that low. Some mids exhibit artefacts if crossed over too high or can have a void in response where they would blend with your tweeters if crossed over too low. Because mids and tweeters vary so much from one brand/model to the next, the only way adapting a passive network from one set to another will work is if you get really lucky and the drivers have similar needs and capabilities- this won't be apparent just by looking at frequency response, so something like a waterfall plot would be better. You won't want to mix and match passive crossovers without doing some research.

One of the best options for passive crossover networks would be to see exactly where your speakers need to be crossed, and

1) as mentioned, build a custom passive crossover network based on where each driver runs into its limits (or buy one designed by the manufacturer of the set)

2) use an adjustable electronic crossover set in the ballpark of where the manufacturer's passive crossover network would have divided the frequencies +/- a little to your liking...you can then play with slopes to further fine tune things

Some good reading:

http://www.termpro.com/asp/pubs.asp?ID=127

http://www.bcae1.com/passxovr.htm

You might be able to reverse engineer the passives you have to see if they'd be appropriate for your other speakers- if not, start from scratch or go electronic. Some of the nicer 3-way capable head units will do this for you, as will stand-alone audio processors.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2017, 04:57 AM   #7
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a good idea to use a passive crossover from another set.

1) The crossover frequency may not be good match for your speakers.
2) The crossover may designed for a different load than your speakers (especially the tweeter portion of the crossover)
3) The crossover may or may not have zobel network, which your drivers may or may not need and the zobel filter would most certainly be at the wrong frequency.

Sometimes it's better to ask first.....
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2017, 10:54 AM   #8
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

I also don't see where the SSA stuff would be an improvement over the Diamond HEX, which is a pretty good set.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:31 PM   #9
DownNDirty63bug

Yeah I don't know why I would have thought things would have been that easy. I think I can get out of the focals.. I just kind of wanted all my speakers to match with all SSA. But I definitely don't want to downgrade. Building crossover sounds fun but I assume building them is going to be difficult considering the evils 6.5 are relatively new , and the tweeters haven't even hit the market yet.. I guess I should have just left it alone.. unfortunately I already bought the 6.5s.. it just seems when I got the subwoofer hitting hard and loud. My front stage isn't keeping up... I felt several old school cars. From the ground up. But I usually just throw some two/ways in and a bazooka tube in the rear or something simple. I just kind of wanted to go big with the stereo on the bug. More of a high school nostalgia thing. Any recommendations what I should do at this point. Any suggestions

Old 03-21-2017, 05:42 PM   #10
Jimi77

Quote:
Yeah I don't know why I would have thought things would have been that easy. I think I can get out of the focals.. I just kind of wanted all my speakers to match with all SSA. But I definitely don't want to downgrade. Building crossover sounds fun but I assume building them is going to be difficult considering the evils 6.5 are relatively new , and the tweeters haven't even hit the market yet.. I guess I should have just left it alone.. unfortunately I already bought the 6.5s.. it just seems when I got the subwoofer hitting hard and loud. My front stage isn't keeping up... I felt several old school cars. From the ground up. But I usually just throw some two/ways in and a bazooka tube in the rear or something simple. I just kind of wanted to go big with the stereo on the bug. More of a high school nostalgia thing. Any recommendations what I should do at this point. Any suggestions
To be honest I would pass on the Evils, while they are nice, I doubt your system will sound better because it's all SSA......

Old 03-21-2017, 06:22 PM   #11
ckeeler11

ckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to behold

Do you have an amp fro the fronts? that is where I would go first. What headunit do you have?
ckeeler11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2017, 07:19 PM   #12
DownNDirty63bug

Yes I have and amp for the Fronts. My hu is a pioneer deh7900. I really wish I can figure out how to upload pictures

Old 03-21-2017, 07:30 PM   #13
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes I have and amp for the Fronts. My hu is a pioneer deh7900. I really wish I can figure out how to upload pictures
You can't directly- you can upload them to a hosting site and link to them however.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2017, 08:04 PM   #14
DownNDirty63bug

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/...psamlv4jan.jpg

Old 03-22-2017, 12:25 AM   #15
Jimi77

Good HU and the install looks pretty good given the limitations of the VW Bug. Have you tried putting some polyfil in the space behind the midbass driver. That may help with the low end and clean up the midrange. Lightly stuff it back there, don't pack/compress it.