CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 10-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #1
roxbury29

roxbury29 is on a distinguished road

Ford F150 Sony system/ Door speaker upgrade

Hi, just looking for something better. Keeping OEM factory radio.

Already upgraded the Sony/Sub with an AMP and Custom box with a Sundown woofer !

just wanted to clean up the rest, not really looking to add an amp to the doors ( front or rear )

Wanted to at replace the Front and see how it sounds.
Any suggestions.
no brand preference or budget in mind.
just something that is designed better ( polk/jl/jbl/infinity/etc... )

thanks, any help is greatly apprecaited
roxbury29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 10-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #2
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

What is the ohm rating on the OEM speakers? Is the system amplified?
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2017, 11:05 PM   #3
roxbury29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
What is the ohm rating on the OEM speakers? Is the system amplified?
^
its a Factory Ford F150- Sony Subwoofer system.
I took the factory sub out.
Added an Amp and the Sundown 10" in a custom enclosure !

But wanted to see if changing the door speakers to start will make any improvements. Didn't really want to add another Amp, just thought if it would be worth making any changes.

I would guess they are 2,3,or 4 ohm I think.
there are Front/Rear / A-pillar tweeters and a Center speaker
Front and Rear are 5-1/4" or 5x7/6x8
center 3-1/4"

** Maybe an old school
Infinity 6832CF ? would be an improvement

Last edited by roxbury29; 10-11-2017 at 12:23 AM.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #4
JohnBauder

JohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to all

You've got a mess up front. If you replace the fronts with coaxials you'll probably have the tweeters in the pillar fighting the tweeters in the coaxials. I never think center dash speakers are a good idead. If I were you I would replace the front doors and tweeters with a component set and an amp. This is a moderately priced set up:

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-6201-ctx...er-system.html - $170 I know this is 6.5" while you now have 6" x 8" but round is better and they will fit fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Zapco-ST-2X-2...WKWBW6NWCD1GGT - $100

Last edited by JohnBauder; 10-11-2017 at 10:03 AM.
JohnBauder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #5
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxbury29 View Post
^
its a Factory Ford F150- Sony Subwoofer system.
I took the factory sub out.
Added an Amp and the Sundown 10" in a custom enclosure !

But wanted to see if changing the door speakers to start will make any improvements. Didn't really want to add another Amp, just thought if it would be worth making any changes.

I would guess they are 2,3,or 4 ohm I think.
there are Front/Rear / A-pillar tweeters and a Center speaker
Front and Rear are 5-1/4" or 5x7/6x8
center 3-1/4"

** Maybe an old school
Infinity 6832CF ? would be an improvement
It would be nice to know if they're 2,3 or 4 ohms since that would have a significant impact on power and SPL. Is there a factory amp? Keep in mind a speaker swap often results in worse sound since the OEM speakers tend to be higher efficiency. Does your system have an amp already?

Old 10-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #6
roxbury29

Quote:
It would be nice to know if they're 2,3 or 4 ohms since that would have a significant impact on power and SPL. Is there a factory amp? Keep in mind a speaker swap often results in worse sound since the OEM speakers tend to be higher efficiency. Does your system have an amp already?
^ There is a Factory/Sony amp in the truck.
cannot pull the specs on it, its hidden under the center armrest ( still searcing ford forums for the info ) I will also try to verify the ohm ratings.

right now, only thing I changed was ( removing the factory subwoofer )
tied into that with a Alpine D 500W amp - ran power to it, and put the Sundown sub in its place with the custom enclosure. That part worked out very well, I also have the remote bass knob by my drivers seat. I can turn the subwoofer off, and thats when I was able to compare the system front/rear without a subwoofer.
Being a truck the back speakers I don't hear as well, I thought changing the front might be a better start.
There are also A-Piller ( 3/4 or 1" ) tweeters and a center 3-1/4" I believe.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #7
roxbury29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBauder View Post
You've got a mess up front. If you replace the fronts with coaxials you'll probably have the tweeters in the pillar fighting the tweeters in the coaxials. I never think center dash speakers are a good idead. If I were you I would replace the front doors and tweeters with a component set and an amp. This is a moderately priced set up:

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-6201-ctx...er-system.html - $170 I know this is 6.5" while you now have 6" x 8" but round is better and they will fit fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Zapco-ST-2X-2...WKWBW6NWCD1GGT - $100
^ I was told a 6-1/2 was too large without cutting metal, either the awful 5x7(6x8) or a 5-1/4" round would fit.
3/4-1" pillar tweets and center channel.
Really didn't want to run another power cable, Amp at this time, thought that enough improvement could be with just swapping the OEM speakers out ?!

Old 10-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #8
roxbury29

Pretty sure the speakers are 4 Ohm/ seen some OEM/Sony/Ford door speakers online and it showed 4ohm. still looking for Amp/Sony specs

Old 10-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #9
Jimi77

As popular as the f150 is, I'd imagine the specs on the audio system are on one of the f150 forums.

ID makes a couple comps that could work for you. I'd spend the extra $50 on the XS components.

http://www.woofersetc.com/c-172-spea...rs-system.html

http://www.woofersetc.com/c-172-spea...nt-system.html

The problem with doing a simple speaker swap like you're suggesting is that many OEM systems are made for the specific equipment to work together. The OEM speakers are usually high efficiency high Q designs with a big impedance spike. The OEM HU or amp will be programmed with sound processing specific to those OEM drivers. When you switch to aftermarket speakers, they will be lower efficiency, so you'll lose volume right off the bat and then if you put 4 ohm speakers into a 2 ohm system, you lose another 3db of output. On top of that without the big impedance/high Q spike in response, you lose output in some narrow band of the frequency response, which will sound like a loss of bass output and probably detail in the mid/treble range.

You really need to figure out what you're dealing with to come up with an approach to improve it. Is the sounding processing done at the HU or the amp? Is the HU easy to replace, how integrated into the car is the HU? Do you have room behind the door panel to fit a baffle adapter to allow you to install a 6.5" driver? How much depth do you have to work with? Is the tweeter on it's own channel off the amp?

There's a lot of threads on here from noobies who swapped out speakers only to find out the OEM's sounded better.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #10
roxbury29

Hi, looks like the XS will fit.
Depth for doors are 2-3" I beleive and 1" a-pillar tweets. The factory tweeters are capped from the door.
I've seen various F150 forum responses that changing the speakers helped and some that it was a waste of time and effort unless adding an Amp.

The some amp might be only controlling the sub, which I disconnected. The HU might be controlling the fronts. Because when I Fade just to the front I lose my subwoofer,. The sony amp could have been hot/lpf for the back speakers and sub.

Ford forums, several people said these worked well;
Infinity Kappa 682.9cf, looks like this is a newer part# 682.11cf

Last edited by roxbury29; 10-11-2017 at 05:54 PM.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #11
roxbury29

Went to a few stereo stores. Thought i would get unbiased help "NOT"
asking just as I did here, I might just try the ID / or JL components
or the inifinty 682.11CF in the doors..

Was told there is a spacer available to fit 6-3/4" I haven't seen it though.

Both places, said to add a DSP/AMP/Speakers..
DSP- 170
AMP- 199-399
Speakers 180
labor - TBD

I was just hoping to clean up the sound a little up front,
I may just keep what I have.
"JIMI77" thanks again for your help on the SUB - the Sundown was a huge improvement for the bass and livening the factory radio, much better than the excelon sub I had.

No plan on adding an amp to the front/rear, because I know if I do that I will want to put 2-10" under the back seat, and continue the cycle of adding more..

not sure which of the above I might try, depends if I can return them if it turns out horrible.

* update, friend of mine works at a car shop and said he would
install this (SONY)XS-GS1621C Sony 6-1/2 components installed for about $290
that for a factory HU it would work good. *

not convinced about them though, still might try the ID first
...any other suggestions...

Last edited by roxbury29; 10-12-2017 at 06:55 PM.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:46 PM   #12
Jimi77

That's ~$100 in labor and the speakers aren't something I'd put in my car.

The reason off the shelf speakers don't work well with most factory HUs is because the OEM system is designed to work with the specific OEM speaker. There is no reason to believe those Sony's will work better than any other after market speaker.

Last edited by Jimi77; 10-12-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #13
JohnBauder

JohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to all

The ID speakers are far far better than the Sonya at about the same price. I would not buy components without amping them.
JohnBauder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2017, 09:45 PM   #14
roxbury29

Quote:
That's ~$100 in labor and the speakers aren't something I'd put in my car.

The reason off the shelf speakers don't work well with most factory HUs is because the OEM system is designed to work with the specific OEM speaker. There is no reason to believe those Sony's will work better than any other after market speaker.
^ he mentioned that they are just a better version of Sony ( Since I have
the Ford/Sony system from FORD ) I wasn't quite sold on that, but wanted to ask you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBauder View Post
The ID speakers are far far better than the Sonya at about the s ame price. I would not buy components without amping them.
^ Thanks, I was thinking they would install them and then convince me to add an amp. I know its the best way, I really am not looking to add an Amp to the Front/and or Back speakers. Just was wanting for a little improvement.
I know if I change both front and back and add an amp it will be a Lot better, but will it be $500-$1000 better.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:18 PM   #15
Jimi77

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxbury29 View Post
^ he mentioned that they are just a better version of Sony ( Since I have
the Ford/Sony system from FORD ) I wasn't quite sold on that, but wanted to ask you all.
You'd be surprised at what the system might really be. I'm replacing my nieces Bose stereo and it's really a Clarion HU.

Quote:
Thanks, I was thinking they would install them and then convince me to add an amp. I know its the best way, I really am not looking to add an Amp to the Front/and or Back speakers. Just was wanting for a little improvement.
I know if I change both front and back and add an amp it will be a Lot better, but will it be $500-$1000 better.
You just won't know if the upgrade will live up to expectations until you do it. There is no way for us to know how much you'll like the upgrade. The XS are very nice speakers for the money. I do tend to agree that without the amp you're probably wasting your time and money. I might just throw some cheap co-axials in the rear or just leave the stock speakers.