CarAudioForum.com

Old 03-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #16
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.beesley View Post
Checked and fuses are fine, speakers are wired up fine. I will re ground and if problem still occurres I will whip out the multimeter tomorow. Previously I was using a pioneer head unit bit didn't get on with it so I have gone for a Sony head unit this time.
If the voltage has changed at the pre-outs feeding the amp (and it almost always will between different head units), the gain needs to be re-set .

Here is how to do it correctly:

http://www.thesuicidaleggroll.com/gain.htm
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2015, 08:39 PM   #17
J.beesley

J.beesley is on a distinguished road

I would also like to put emphasis on the fact I witrd up the amp and sub in the EXACTLY same way as befor and had no problem at all withy he amp and sub itself then.
J.beesley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2015, 08:41 PM   #18
J.beesley

Thanks I will also reset the gain, lots of things to try tomorow - I'll let you know the results thanks for your help guys!

Old 03-04-2015, 08:41 PM   #19
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would also like to put emphasis on the fact I witrd up the amp and sub in the EXACTLY same way as befor and had no problem at all withy he amp and sub itself then.
If the amp is cutting out, something is wrong- the install, the tuning, the amplifier, the sub or speakers. You'll have to troubleshoot all of the above. A digital multimeter will allow you to get a good idea of what the culprit is.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:43 PM   #20
J.beesley

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
If the amp is cutting out, something is wrong- the install, the tuning, the amplifier, the sub or speakers. You'll have to troubleshoot all of the above. A digital multimeter will allow you to get a good idea of what the culprit is.
Out of interest what do you think is most likely the culprit?

Old 03-04-2015, 10:11 PM   #21
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
Out of interest what do you think is most likely the culprit?
A bad ground can cause that problem. Too much gain can cause that problem (especially if combined with a bad ground). Too much resistance across a connection at the battery or at a fuse, or a partially blown fuse can cause that problem. A damaged speaker, subwoofer or either of those with terminals or speaker wires shorting to ground or each other can cause that problem. After ruling all of those out, it may be time to look at the amp.

Tip: InPhase, Fly, Vibe and Edge are UK-specific brands you generally want to avoid .

Old 03-05-2015, 02:00 AM   #22
MOSFET

MOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond repute

"Out of interest what do you think is most likely the culprit?"

I'd put it at 70% your amplifier is not getting enough voltage. Though the cause of this could be many things, though a bad ground is USUALLY the culprit. Though it might also be a poor battery connection.

Then I would go with 20% it is a problem with a speaker, or speaker wire. Though here's the thing with that, if you had a blown or shorted speaker wire (the wires perhaps touching the car body somewhere), it's likely your HU would shut down IMMEDIATELY upon powering up. You indicated that it shuts down when you turn the volume up. This does not sound like a short (though anything's possible). It sounds much more likely that your power connections are bad (either ground or power), and as soon as it begins to demand current, the voltage drops too low and the unit shuts down.

Oh, and 10% chance your HU or amp is damaged in some way (we'll hope it's not that!).
MOSFET
MOSFET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #23
J.beesley

Quote:
A bad ground can cause that problem. Too much gain can cause that problem (especially if combined with a bad ground). Too much resistance across a connection at the battery or at a fuse, or a partially blown fuse can cause that problem. A damaged speaker, subwoofer or either of those with terminals or speaker wires shorting to ground or each other can cause that problem. After ruling all of those out, it may be time to look at the amp.

Tip: InPhase, Fly, Vibe and Edge are UK-specific brands you generally want to avoid .
Update - tried re grounding at multiple locations and now the amp won't even turn on, no spark when the wires touch, nothing. Sods law cannot find my multimeter anywhere. Getting short with patience for this set up! Help me!

Old 03-05-2015, 05:39 PM   #24
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Bad power connection, remote turn-on connection, bad fuse or too much resistance at any/all of the above.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:10 PM   #25
Vestax05pro

Associates

Location: USUC World Champion - Stock System Class, Super Street Division Special Edition Bose 26 piece speaker system with enhanced ported tweeters. 89.2 db Legal, 89.6 db Outlaw
Vestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond repute

Best test is to wire it straight to the battery with a fuse. Don't have to question the resistance or completing the circuit.
Vestax05pro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #26
J.beesley

Quote:
Bad power connection, remote turn-on connection, bad fuse or too much resistance at any/all of the above.
Had a good mess and have put it down to the following; I was sold a 1200w amp kit from a store with the wrong cable 8 gauge. I got some 4 gauge wire and swapped it out but completely forgot about the fuse, which was 50 amp (for a 1200w amp?! Stupid I know). Obviously the ground wasn't the best and the fuse was too small which is subsequently blown, which now explains why it isn't working at all. I have ordered some bigger fuses and will replace the blown one so fingers crossed the bigger cable, better ground and bigger fuse will sort it out. I'm sure to be on here moaning some more if it doesn't!