CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 07-28-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
CarOwner

CarOwner is on a distinguished road

The small speaker loudly vibrates

Hello!

I installed a new set of speakers in my car (Pioneer TS-A131Ci) and when I tried to feed some quality music into them, I was very unpleasantly surprised.
When the volume is set to a bit higher than "can talk over the playing car stereo with people in the car" the small speaker starts to loudly vibrate its membrane. The big speaker works flawlessly.

No, I know the speakers are supposed to vibrate I am not that dumb! By membrane I mean a piece of plastic dome that covers the small speaker.

It's a bit hard to explain so here's video instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tle852AodUk

Please notice, how the that covering plastic dome is vibrating, which I don't think it's supposed to, and it creates very loud and annoying crackling.

What could be causing this? I have no idea how to fix it.

Thanks for any advice.
CarOwner is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 07-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

What are you using to power the speaker set? Are you using the supplied inline crossovers that came with the tweeter wires?
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

In the video it almost looks like it is shorting under the tweeter membrane...do you see a faint blue light/spark that corresponds with the crackling noise in a dark environment?

Old 07-28-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
CarOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
In the video it almost looks like it is shorting under the tweeter membrane...do you see a faint blue light/spark that corresponds with the crackling noise in a dark environment?
It only looks that way, but it's only the bent membrane which makes it look like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
What are you using to power the speaker set? Are you using the supplied inline crossovers that came with the tweeter wires?
A what? There was no such thing in the package, the bigger speakers came without any wires and the tweeters came with a wire already soldered in.
So i took the sound wires from the car and soldered them onto the big speaker and then i took the tweeter wires (already attached to the tweeter on one end) and soldered them onto the big speaker's contacts also. I also watched out to make sure the + a - contacts are in order.

The only other thing in the package was a pack of longer wires, which i assume are to be used when you don't have any wires from the car stereo provided in the car, which i have, so i didn't unpacked or used those.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
CarOwner

Oh god damn it, i just went and checked and unwrapped those long cables and they both have a bulge in the middle that looks like a capacitator. Now i have to take the entire car apart again. I hate myself.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:56 AM   #6
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarOwner View Post
Oh god damn it, i just went and checked and unwrapped those long cables and they both have a bulge in the middle that looks like a capacitator. Now i have to take the entire car apart again. I hate myself.
Yes, those would likely be a primitive inline crossover designed to cut lower frequencies from the tweeters. Hopefully the tweeters will survive.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
CarOwner

It worked! The sound is now crystal clear without any cracking even at ear drum bursting volumes. The windows shake a lot though.