CarAudioForum.com

Old 11-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
KevinPontiac

KevinPontiac is on a distinguished road

Help with amp problem!

I have a 2006 pontiac grand prix. i installed a set of 2 12 inch subs with a planet audio monoblock 1500 watt amp. i also have a switch to turn the subs on and off at my request. after installing subs, when they are on and they hit, the protect light dimly flashes on the amp, soon after that, my amp fried. i had my amp sent to planet audio for repair, reinstalled the amp, and also installed two new memphis 12 inch subs. turned it all on, and the amp blew again. i have tested my power, ground, and control switch circuit and have good connection on everything there. any ideas on what problems i could have? rca issue?
KevinPontiac is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 11-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPontiac View Post
I have a 2006 pontiac grand prix. i installed a set of 2 12 inch subs with a planet audio monoblock 1500 watt amp. i also have a switch to turn the subs on and off at my request. after installing subs, when they are on and they hit, the protect light dimly flashes on the amp, soon after that, my amp fried. i had my amp sent to planet audio for repair, reinstalled the amp, and also installed two new memphis 12 inch subs. turned it all on, and the amp blew again. i have tested my power, ground, and control switch circuit and have good connection on everything there. any ideas on what problems i could have? rca issue?
RCAs won't cause an amplifier to "blow." Planet Audio had a series a few years back that was a bit of a forum boner (the Big Bang series) that were designed and built by a proper build house, but for the most part they are a good brand to avoid and are a subsidiary of Boss Audio (that is craptastic).

Where did you ground the amplifier in the vehicle? What size power/ground wire did you use? Where did you have settings like gain and bass boost set at?
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
KevinPontiac

The amplifier ground is wired to one of my rear strut studs between the strut and the body. My main power for the amp is coming from the battery junction box at the main battery power post. I am running a 2 guage wire good for 2000watts. My settings were all turned all the way down when this happened. The amp was blowing while we were in the attemps of tuning it. Are you saying I simply could just have a junk amp and need to replace with a better quality?

Old 11-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The amplifier ground is wired to one of my rear strut studs between the strut and the body. My main power for the amp is coming from the battery junction box at the main battery power post. I am running a 2 guage wire good for 2000watts. My settings were all turned all the way down when this happened. The amp was blowing while we were in the attemps of tuning it. Are you saying I simply could just have a junk amp and need to replace with a better quality?
First, try a proper grounding spot- anything that is only spot-welded to the main unibody portion of the car or that is a threaded bung for existing bolts is typically a poor choice with much more resistance than the floor pan or frame itself (and this presents some challenges for even the best amplifier designs).

You want the best continuity with true chassis ground possible for your amplifier- try using a ring terminal and trap it under a new nut/bolt/star washer inserted into a new hole in the floorpan using as short a ground wire as possible, and ensure that the surrounding sheet metal around that hole has been sanded down to clean, bright, shiny bare metal. If you still have issues after optimizing your ground, it is most likely a faulty amp and if you state a budget some seasoned members here can probably point you towards better quality pieces .

Old 11-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
KevinPontiac

I have sanded down the area around the body where the strut nut holds down my ground, so I believe my ground there is ok, but i will still try to find a more suitable place. When the protect light first started flashing, I disconnected all of my connections to the amp, and put a set of car jumper cables in place as the power and ground (jumper cables attatched directly to battery power and ground), just to make sure I had good power and ground, and I still had the issue. What are some good quality amplifiers to look into? I'm in the market to spend around $100-$150 on an amp. Note I do not have subs for any kind of competition or to shake my car all to hell, I just like a little thump to my music! thanks for the help.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
pontiacfieroguy

pontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond reputepontiacfieroguy has a reputation beyond repute

my guess would be you have the sub wired at too low an impedence. links to the exact subs and amp you have and how they are wired would be helpful.
pontiacfieroguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
I have sanded down the area around the body where the strut nut holds down my ground, so I believe my ground there is ok, but i will still try to find a more suitable place. When the protect light first started flashing, I disconnected all of my connections to the amp, and put a set of car jumper cables in place as the power and ground (jumper cables attatched directly to battery power and ground), just to make sure I had good power and ground, and I still had the issue. What are some good quality amplifiers to look into? I'm in the market to spend around $100-$150 on an amp. Note I do not have subs for any kind of competition or to shake my car all to hell, I just like a little thump to my music! thanks for the help.
You'll get a fair bit of voltage drop with long power/ground like you would get with a jumper cable.

I don't know what subs and load you are running, but $150 doesn't allow for anything particularly good.