CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 11-18-2011, 03:39 AM   #1
Tyler_Nickell

Tyler_Nickell is on a distinguished road

How do i get my amp out of protect mode

I was tightening a speaker terminal when i touched the negative speaker wire to the positive speaker wire, the amp went righ inot protect mod and i havnt't been able to get it out since.

I tried restarting the headunit with the rca cables and speaker wire unplugged from the amp.

I bought a new fuse so thats not the issue

I made sure the ground a power were good

After all of this the amp is still in protect mod

Help!!!

The amp is a hifonics hfi 1000.1d like only two weeks old
Tyler_Nickell is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 11-18-2011, 03:42 AM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Nickell View Post
I was tightening a speaker terminal when i touched the negative speaker wire to the positive speaker wire, the amp went righ inot protect mod and i havnt't been able to get it out since.

I tried restarting the headunit with the rca cables and speaker wire unplugged from the amp.

Help!!!

That's a common problem with Hifonics- if it is under warranty, try calling the retailer or manufacturer and see if they'll take care of you.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2011, 04:38 AM   #3
SPL BRONCO II

SPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you would not have touched the speakers wires incorrectly the chances were good that it would have gone into protect anyways. Those Hifonics amps are known for that issue. Try removing power, ground and remote wires and waiting a few minutes then hooking them back up.
SPL BRONCO II is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2011, 04:50 AM   #4
Tyler_Nickell

I disconnected the all wires from the amp and let it sit for a good hour, them i hooked them all. Back up and still it was in protect mode.

Are there any other possoble ways to fix it without having to send it back?

Old 11-18-2011, 05:17 AM   #5
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I disconnected the all wires from the amp and let it sit for a good hour, them i hooked them all. Back up and still it was in protect mode.

Are there any other possoble ways to fix it without having to send it back?
Probably not- this is the main reason Hifonics doesn't get recommended routinely on the forum as an economical "best buy" amplifier.

Call the manufacturer's support number and see what they have to say. Good luck.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2011, 05:56 AM   #6
Tyler_Nickell

Would this be covered under the warranty?

Old 11-18-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
Mordrid1

Mordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Would this be covered under the warranty?
They will tell you it is user error and not covered.
Mordrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2011, 07:02 AM   #8
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Help!!!

Once a Hifonics goes into protect, it's done. Time for a new amp.
Jimi77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
GM4WALLS

GM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond repute

Good general rule from now on...
#1 Unhook the negative battery terminal anytime you are working on anything electrical in your car
#2 Do NOT buy HiFonics
GM4WALLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
Mordrid1

Mordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4WALLS View Post
Good general rule from now on...
#1 Unhook the negative battery terminal anytime you are working on anything electrical in your car
#2 Do NOT buy HiFonics
Both good suggestions, but he crossed speaker terminals, which means for some reason he decided it would be a good time to tighten the speaker terminals while the amp was on and playing

and so.....Hifonics strikes again.....

It's not so much that it went into protect because a lot of amps would have too. It is that once a hifonics amp goes into protect, it is not coming out.
Mordrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote