CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 10-19-2016, 07:58 AM   #1
talldwarf

talldwarf is on a distinguished road

Head unit cut out suddenly along with window controls

I drive a 2004 Corsa C, hooked up a Sony head unit and Edge subwoofer about three or so weeks ago and that was all working great. I recently purchased some Sony speakers to replace the crappy stock ones and went about installing them yesterday. It was a big of a makeshift job because the speakers were slightly too big to fit inside the door trim (I left one of the screws on each door out to create about an inch gap for the speakers), BUT it was all working fine and sounding real nice.

Then suddenly last night whilst driving down a main road, the lights on the HU went off suddenly along with all sound. When I parked up about 10 minutes later I realised the electric windows were also not working. All other electronics in the car seemed to be working fine.

Normally I would just assume it was a loose connection or a blown fuse but its strange that the windows don't work anymore. I have a feeling it has something to do with the fact that I didn't properly replace the grommet that I fed the subwoofer power cable through - there was a bit of rust around the edges of the hole. Maybe some moisture got in and caused a short circuit?

What should be my next steps in figuring out the cause of the problem and sorting it out? So annoying that this happens on the first day of getting new speakers!
talldwarf is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 10-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #2
KaeZoo

KaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt that your subwoofer power wire has anything to do with it, although it's not a good idea to have your power wire next to a sharp metal edge. Moisture isn't the issue; it's the chance that the wire's insulation will be worn away by the edge of the hole. A short circuit on the power wire would result in a blown fuse if your power wire is fused at the battery, or a fire if it isn't. It wouldn't affect the power window or radio circuit, though.

I don't have access to wiring information for European vehicles, but my first guess would be a problem with the key switch. Both the radio and the power windows are likely to be on the "accessory" circuit from the key switch, so a problem that affects both systems might originate there. Windshield wipers are also commonly found on this circuit--have you tested those?

If I were troubleshooting, I'd use a multimeter to test the constant and accessory power wires at the radio. When the keys is on, both wires should have voltage. If one or the other doesn't, then check the associated fuses. If the fuses are good, but one or the other isn't powered, then you should try to obtain an electrical schematic for that vehicle circuit so you can find out where the voltage is dropping.
KaeZoo is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2016, 09:56 AM   #3
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Terminals on a speaker that are touching metal near their mounting location (or speaker wires grounding somewhere along the routing) can cause a head unit to shut down.

That is unlikely to cause issues with electric windows, but improper disassembly or re-assembly certainly could.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2016, 10:15 AM   #4
talldwarf

After some intense research (lol) I've found the source of the problem - a blown 5A fuse (number 35 in the fuse box). Apparently Vauxhall (Opel) group the electric windows and stereo under the same fuse which is why they both ended up not working. Bit of a coincidence because I had to do a lot of fiddling with both window controls whilst installing the new speakers on the same day, but there you go. Hopefully that helps someone else out there haha

Old 10-19-2016, 12:45 PM   #5
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to replace that grommet at the firewall. I've seen numerous wire fires and it's not a pretty site.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2016, 06:16 AM   #6
talldwarf

What's the best way to go about replacing the grommet? The one that was there originally (and still is, just it's around the cable rather than in the actual hole in the firewall) will definitely not be able to take the original cable AND the subwoofer power cable - there just isn't enough space. Would using some sort of waterproof filler do the trick?