CarAudioForum.com

Old 09-14-2010, 01:01 AM   #1
Diesels Own

Diesels Own will become famous soon enough

Need amplifier help ASAP

Hello, I am new to this site. I have come accross my first problem. I have a boss amp 3600 watt. I have had it hooked up in this car before (2001 dodge stratus) it worked, then I blew fuses once. put more in it worked. then I had to put some in that were too small, they blew. now I put some in that were 40's (it needs 35's) and the boss emblem lights up and everything but the power won't go on. no protection nothing. thanks for your help in advance (i hope)
Diesels Own is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 09-14-2010, 02:27 AM   #2
JLAudioCavalier

JLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to say this, but not knowing anything about your install skills, wire conditions, or any other variables on what you could have done to cause this, you bought a cheap amp. Honestly Boss is a very low end brand and build quality/longevity is not going to be strong with them. Again, though, it could be a number of things on the install and tuning. More details on your electrical background/skill, and the install would be helpful. First thing, you might have the impedance wired too low, you might have a bad ground, you might have a chafed speaker wire, you might have a shorted out speaker.... BUT, without knowing any of those details, it's tough to make a diagnosis.
JLAudioCavalier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Diesels Own

I got it all for free, a year ago. it's worked ever since then until it started blowing fuses. it hasn't been unhooked. all the wires are fine.

whats the impediance... sorry I just kinda know the basics.

Last edited by Diesels Own; 09-14-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:04 AM   #4
JLAudioCavalier

JLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond repute

Impedance.... resistance. (measured in ohms). If you have too small of a load, the amp can't handle it. Honestly, if you keep blowing fuses, I would look at wiring first. Did you trace all your wiring for chafes, or did you just say "all wires are fine" because they looked good when you first installed them and you can't possibly do any wrong? If there is a wire against a piece of metal or any kind of pinch point, a cut in the jacket can occur over time. CHECK THEM.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:10 AM   #5
Diesels Own

ok, I'll check everything again, and again to make sure. anything else I should look for?

Old 09-15-2010, 03:38 AM   #6
JLAudioCavalier

well checking the speaker wires is easy, you disconnect them from the amp. If the issue goes away, there's a short somewhere south of that. if the problem is still there, speakers and speaker wires aren't the culprit. After that, trace your power wire and ground and remote for chafes. Honestly, if your power wire were shorting out, though, you would pop the inline fuse instantly. Not the amp fuses. Check for your ground connection at that point. Make DAMN sure it's secured to some nice solid bare chassis metal. If you are 100% sure all wiring is correct and free of defects, contact an amp repair facility like DB-r, or buy a new one. Also, if at all possible, install another amp where that one is currently and see if it works. Have a friend who would let you borrow one for 10 minutes?