CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 01-19-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
drakewillis21

drakewillis21 will become famous soon enough

Component Systems Review

So, iv been looking into quite a few different Component systems. I'm very interested in PPi's PC3.65C or Focal's Access 165 A3 or maybe a polyglass model by focal. I'm just wondering who has heard any of these systems.

I've already looked at all the spec but I'm more interested in experiences by all of you.

Any input is appreciated.

I like my bass and good sound. i already have 2 tens in my 05 Impreza
drakewillis21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 01-19-2011, 06:42 AM   #2
mvw2

mvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond repute

You on Nasioc or MnSubaru by any chance? If not, you should.

What specifically is your budget?

PPI isn't exactly great these days. The old 365CS which was a rebadged A/D/S model of the same name was very popular. Outside of that specific model, people don't really look at PPI much. It's tough to say if the PC3.65C is decent or not. It could be pretty good really, but it might be hard to find reviews for it. The 4kHz crossover isn't the greatest. It's nice to have it 3kHz or specifically 2kHz or under for door installs. If the mid is too far off-axis like the near door, the higher mids are lost. A high x-over pretty much requires the woofers to be in kick panels that are mainly on-axis with the listener.

The Focal Access is a pretty cheap end product from Focal. Worth the buy? Not so much. Plus Focal in general is not a bass strong product. Even their better woofers still roll off by 100Hz and doen't have the xmax to really dig low well. You'll want a lower roll off point and more excursion if you want a good bit of bass, clean bass, from up front. If you don't mind a higher x-over of 100Hz, 125Hz, or so, then some of these options work great. If you want to cross down at 60Hz or 80Hz, then you will at least need EQing to get the mid woofer to fill out the low end before the sub kicks in, and you will still be limited in excursion for output.
mvw2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
drakewillis21

Thanks for the return information man. so many sets out their and im new to the component world. one last question. what do you think of Kickers QS components? actuallly whats your opinion on the top brands out there at the moment for reasonable prices ( nothing over a grand lol )

Old 01-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
mvw2

mvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well there's lots of options. Most of it depends on the sound signature you're shooting for. Sound quality but with the wrong sound signature is still off-putting to the listener. A person is generally more happy with a sound signature they like over a sound signature they don't like even if the one they like has lesser sound quality. In short, you pick hardware that fits your taste best. To help you, I would need you to tell me what you like in terms of the presentation of sound.
mvw2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
sandt38

Associate

Location: So, how's that HOPE and CHANGE $hit workin out for ya?
sandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with MVW, as usual.

What you need to do is help us with what you really want. We need some specifics, like how do you want your midbass? Smooth and buttery, guttural and deep, or tight. What about the midrange? Do you like it laid back, or forward? What about highs? Do you like them bright or mellow?

What about subs? You have 2 10s, what are they, are they sealed or ported, what amp is powering them? Enclosure specifics and model #s of amps and subs are a good thing too.

Next, explain to us how they will be installed. Mids thrown in the doors, or will you use kicks? Specifics on the mid install will hep determine a better solution for your needs, as some do well installed IB (in the doors for example) and others will like sealed enclosures (kicks). Tweeters in the a-pillars, in a kick, or in the doors? Specifics on tweeter location and aiming will be important for the best selection of dome material. Also the installation technique will help determine a good set with regards to the crossover. As MVW said, a kick allows us a broad range of crossovers because of the aiming of the mid, and off axis/on axis rolloff and beaming.

Finally, what will this $1K involve? Installation and speakers? Speakers? Speaker and amp? Speaker, amp, head unit and installation?

One big issue when asking for input is brand favoritism. So often I see nut-huggers always suggesting Focal, even when deep silky midbass and mellow tweeters are desired, for example. Neither is a characteristic of Focal. Not bagging on Focal or Focal followers, just using that as an example.

We will all have our favorite flavor so to speak, but hopefully you can get an idea of a few sets you might like based on the bickering that will ensue .
sandt38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
GM4WALLS

GM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond repute

I agree.... I have owned Diamond, Focal, Oz Audio and Boston Acoustics comps in the past... I demoed new products by the three still remaining companies, and just found all three to be less than impressive, with the Diamonds and Bostons being down right brutal. My Focals were my favorites of the past, and the Diamonds were a close second, I will not be buying either brand this time.

Now, admittedly I paid top dollar for the sets I had before, and I am looking for something in the middle price range now.

***Oz Audio made my favorite component set of all time, be I didn't rate them due to their unavailability***

Last edited by GM4WALLS; 01-20-2011 at 10:15 PM.
GM4WALLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
neillio

neillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond repute

http://cgi.ebay.com/PRECISION-POWER-...item5adea25941
This is the best price I've seen. They are a very good set for under $300 IMO. They aren't going to be sharp, brash, or in your face like a Focal set. The Focal set you listed is below average in performance in every category. The PPI set will take every bit of 90wrms and then some.
neillio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
drakewillis21

damn, never realized how in depth you guys would go. but i appreciate it. i personally would install everything myself just to save money. but the current job i have at the moment allows me to purchase kicker and infinity products for little above cost. so i guess i have a little favoritizm towards them but i dont have a budget i just want the best system iv ever owned. which wouldnt be much. i live in a small city. i want the best in the area. by best i mean "mellow" tweeters-because i cant handle high or tinny* sound. buttery* mids. and tight* bass. Honestly i dont really know this sound terminology such as the difference between buttery and smooth. but from my best educated guess these would be it. so i dont like tinny, itd be best descibed as tight and deep for sure.
heres what i have so far product wise.
2x Kicker CVR102's
1x Kicker 10ZX7501
dual 10 sealed box*
and my head unit is a kenwood DDX896
My plan was going to be to put the tweeters on the front pillars.
then depending on 2 or 3 way pair of components door or kick pannel not too sure their yet.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #9
drakewillis21

If need be on my installs. im good friends with a couple autotechs so that part i guess wouldnt be an issue if their are any concerns

Old 01-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
sandt38

Associate

Location: So, how's that HOPE and CHANGE $hit workin out for ya?
sandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond repute

If I were to look into buttery mids and mellow tweeters I would suggest the following:

CDT ES-06 mids with DRT26s tweets and an EX550i crossover. Contact Mike at Vertexaudio.com

Pioneer TS-C720PRS components. Discontinued and hard to find, but worth the search.

Image Dynamics CSX64 (look at woofers etc.)

I might also suggest a forum favorite Alpine SPX 17PRO

I would suggest them in that order. I did a review on the CDTs here you may want to search for, for more information.
sandt38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2011, 05:46 AM   #11
drakewillis21

I Really do appreciate all the information. thank your very much

Old 01-22-2011, 07:05 AM   #12
kappaball

kappaball is a splendid one to beholdkappaball is a splendid one to beholdkappaball is a splendid one to beholdkappaball is a splendid one to beholdkappaball is a splendid one to beholdkappaball is a splendid one to behold

Not trying to hijack your thread but since it's already on the topic. What would be a good recommendation on components with tight midbass woofer and clear mellow tweeter?

And the opposite a mellow butter midrange and mellow tweeter?

ps. I hate distortion at higher volumes in the highs.
kappaball is offline   Reply With Quote