CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Installation Help

Old 12-17-2008, 05:46 AM   #1
redliine

redliine is on a distinguished road

Just installed new head unit. Sound is very quiet?..

Ok I just installed a new Clarion head unit.

Before I actually put it into the dash I tested it to make sure I had everything hooked up correctly and sounding good. The test turned out good and everything sounded great.

So I continued installing the unit into the dash and after I finished I try it again and everything works great except the volume now is extremely low. If I crank the volume up to max, I would guess that it is only putting out 15% of its actual potential.

All speakers work, and there doesn't seem to be any static or interference type sounds in the speakers. There is also no external amp. Just the head unit powering my oem speakers.

My initial guess was that a wire had come undone or one of the harnesses was loose but that is not that case (at least from the eye).

I am going to give it another try tomorrow. My only guess now is that maybe my ground wire came loose.. like it is grounded but maybe it came off a bit. I always thought tho, that a ground was either 100% or 0% connected, but I am just guessing.. I am not a car audio or electrical guy by any means... Could it possibly be the yellow or red? It seems to be an equal distributed problem with all speakers so I wouldn't say it is any particular speaker wire in question.

Any tips or pointers would be really helpful. I also tried a couple searches but couldn't find anything. ughh

Thanks
redliine is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 12-17-2008, 06:15 AM   #2
jaws2008

jaws2008 is on a distinguished road

as for the ground wire the better the connection the better the sound. unlike speaker wire were if its touching it will work. if the ground is touching it will complete the circuit and work but if its not a complete good connection then it will loose quality do to voltage drop. but i that should not effect the head unit volume. check you settings, reset the head unit, disconnect your battery terminal for 30 min and will reset everything in the car and see what it does, make sure its 30 min or it wont do a thing
jaws2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
redliine

OK I am home now (its snowing like crazy out today haha left work early).. I just unplugged my battery and I will leave it like that for half an hour.

I don't know how to reset my head unit. It is a Clarion VRX765VD.

One other note, I have a bypass toggle switch hooked up to the ebrake wire. The switch is grounded back to the Accord harness. The same ground that the actual head unit is using. Is this too much of a load for the factory harness?

I powered the deck up without the switch connected and I still have the same problem, however I only removed the switch, I did not remove the ground wire that is attached to the Accord wiring harness. Would that make a difference?

Old 12-18-2008, 12:16 AM   #4
redliine

I reset my battery terminal for 30 min. Tried it, no change.

I reset my headunit (figured out how). No change.

I decided to run my power wire directly to my battery. No change.

I double checked all my connections. They are all solid and tight.

The problem is the output level of volume. How could a head unit only put out 10% of its potential? Someone has to know. Especially since the unit worked great when I tested it beforehand.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:39 AM   #5
jaws2008

jaws2008 is on a distinguished road

if you had an external amp i could tell you some more stuff to check but you dont hmmm?

did you blow your speakers. you could check to see if they are, a blown speaker can still work but the performance of the speakers suffers greatly
jaws2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #6
redliine

I'm pretty sure I didn't blow my speakers.

Any other suggestions?