CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Installation Help

Old 01-29-2018, 03:41 PM   #1
fatfish370

fatfish370 is on a distinguished road

Help installing Pioneer 2300 into 2001 Toyota Avalon

I am planning to install a Pioneer 2300NEX and a rear back up camera (Audiovox CMOS2) into my 2001 Toyota Avalon with JBL sound. I am mechanically/electronically competent/confident, however have never installed a car radio or done work on cars before. I have already purchased the dash kit and wire harness(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I have a few questions that I wanted to throw post before making my first installation attempt:

-When installing an aftermarket radio into a toyota with JBL sound system, do I have to bypass the factory amp? I have read and received conflicting reports about this.

-What are the positives/negatives of bypassing the factory amp? Will my new radio work better if I bypass the toyota factory amp? What are the benefits of using the internal Pioneer amp?

-If youíve installed a radio into a similar toyota, are there any special tips/annoyances youíve experienced that I should be aware of?

-Any random suggestions?

-When installing a back up camera is there anything specific that I should be aware of?

-Approximately how much time should I carve out for the instillation of the radio + camera? Iíll be working with one other person with similar experience/knowledge.

Thank you in advance for the help
fatfish370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 01-29-2018, 06:25 PM   #2
KaeZoo

KaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond repute

As a general rule of thumb (with many exceptions), I retain a factory amplifier when I'm keeping the stock speakers, and bypass when I'm installing after-market speakers.

If you bypass the amp, you won't be able to retain the factory subwoofer on the rear deck.

The Metra harness (70-8113) used for amp integration uses the head unit's RCA outputs; the speaker outputs aren't used. Occasionally I've had alternator whine when using this harness. There will be a black/white wire in the harness that's connected to the audio signal common; this wire should be grounded along with the black wire.

Metra makes a different harness if you elect to bypass the amp: 70-8116. This connects to the plugs at the factory amplifier and includes long speaker leads to run up to the head unit location.

I recommend powering the camera by connecting it to the accessory power lead at the head unit. There will be a violet/white wire in the Pioneer harness which should be connected to the vehicle's reverse light wire; this is so that the head unit will automatically switch to the camera view when you shift into reverse. The easiest method is probably to connect to the reverse light wire at the tail light assembly and run it to the front along with your camera wiring. If you choose, you can power the camera from the reverse light circuit as well. The advantage to powering the camera with accessory power, rather than reverse, is that the Pioneer head unit allows you to select the camera view when you're not in reverse as well.

Give yourself 4-6 hours for the installation.
KaeZoo is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2018, 07:28 PM   #3
fatfish370

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaeZoo View Post
As a general rule of thumb (with many exceptions), I retain a factory amplifier when I'm keeping the stock speakers, and bypass when I'm installing after-market speakers.

If you bypass the amp, you won't be able to retain the factory subwoofer on the rear deck.

The Metra harness (70-8113) used for amp integration uses the head unit's RCA outputs; the speaker outputs aren't used. Occasionally I've had alternator whine when using this harness. There will be a black/white wire in the harness that's connected to the audio signal common; this wire should be grounded along with the black wire.

Metra makes a different harness if you elect to bypass the amp: 70-8116. This connects to the plugs at the factory amplifier and includes long speaker leads to run up to the head unit location.

I recommend powering the camera by connecting it to the accessory power lead at the head unit. There will be a violet/white wire in the Pioneer harness which should be connected to the vehicle's reverse light wire; this is so that the head unit will automatically switch to the camera view when you shift into reverse. The easiest method is probably to connect to the reverse light wire at the tail light assembly and run it to the front along with your camera wiring. If you choose, you can power the camera from the reverse light circuit as well. The advantage to powering the camera with accessory power, rather than reverse, is that the Pioneer head unit allows you to select the camera view when you're not in reverse as well.

Give yourself 4-6 hours for the installation.
Awesome, thank you for those tips. In that case I definitely will not bypass the factory amp and will return the harness for the one you recommended.

Thank you

Old 01-30-2018, 10:47 PM   #4
fatfish370

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaeZoo View Post
Hey, quick question. When wiring the back up camera, do I have to run a wire all the way from the trunk to the head unit? I imagine if I connect the power to the accessory power lead at the head unit then I will have to. But if i connect to the reverse light wire, do I still have to run a separate wire to the head unit?

Old 01-31-2018, 12:45 AM   #5
KaeZoo

KaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond repute

The head unit needs to be connected to the reverse lead, and the camera needs to be connected to a power source. If you want, you can use the reverse lead as your power source for the camera too.

Usually the Audiovox camera will come with an RCA cable, and the cable may have a red wire at each end along with the RCA plug. This is an extra wire built into the cable to make it easier to connect the camera power. If you want, you can connect the wire at one end of the cable to the reverse wire at the tail light (and connect the camera power wiring there as well). Then connect the wire at the other end of the cable to the head unit's reverse input. This will power the camera and provide the head unit's reverse input without having to add any other wires.

Personally, I think that the benefit of powering the camera from an accessory circuit is worth the extra work of running an additional wire--especially as you can just bundle everything together and run it all at once, so it's doesn't really take any longer.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:24 AM   #6
fatfish370

Hey last question...When connecting the new wires together with the the harness do you recommend using solder or butt connectors? I don't have either so would be purchasing either option new. It seems like butt connections are the easiest route, so is there a distinct advantage to using solder? Also if I use butt connectors can i just use the blue 14-16 connectors for all of the wires?

Thanks

Old 02-06-2018, 12:17 AM   #7
KaeZoo

For head unit wiring, I don't think there's a significant advantage to solder over crimp connectors, if they're done properly. I'd use crimp caps instead of butt connectors, though: it allows a direct wire-to-wire contact, instead of through the connector, and it's only one crimp instead of two.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:59 AM   #8
fatfish370

your awesome. Thank you

Old 02-12-2018, 01:23 AM   #9
fatfish370

Hey, so while installing the radio I tried to hook it up to the back up camera and I accidentally mixed up some wires and the car stereo no longer turns on. Is it possible that I fried the entire pioneer system?

I first hooked it up to the reverse wire and the system turned, on but the camera did not. So in an attempt to get the camera to work I switched the wires and I think I accidentally wired the negative to the the stereo system. I am mostly likely describing this incorrectly, but long story short the stereo system no longer turns on. I have even tried to connect it without using the back up camera, and it still wont power up. Is there any chance that I completely fried the system?

I've looked at the fuses and they seem fine

Old 02-12-2018, 04:46 AM   #10
fatfish370

*Update* So I reinstalled the factory radio, but that is no longer working now. When it is plugged in it only registers the CD player, however, the radio itself wont turn on. This makes me think that it is not a problem with the Pioneer itself, but rather something funky with the car.

Is it possible that I tripped a wire somewhere or should I recheck the fuse? is there a way to reboot the stereo signal?

Old 02-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #11
KaeZoo

Check the 5-amp fuse labeled "ECU-ACC" in the fuse box under the driver's-side dash.

This is the circuit that supplies your head unit's key-switched power wire.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:37 PM   #12
fatfish370

Thank you, I'll check that tonight when I get home.

I also just noticed this morning that for some reason, my right rear break light is not working. This is weird because I did not play with any of the break light wires. I did play with the right reverse light wires, but the reverse light still works. Any connection between the break light and the radio wires I have been tinkering with?

Old 02-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #13
KaeZoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfish370 View Post
Thank you, I'll check that tonight when I get home.

I also just noticed this morning that for some reason, my right rear break light is not working. This is weird because I did not play with any of the break light wires. I did play with the right reverse light wires, but the reverse light still works. Any connection between the break light and the radio wires I have been tinkering with?
Doubtful, unless you accidentally unplugged the brake light while messing with the wires. Most likely just a bad bulb.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:43 PM   #14
fatfish370

You were absolutely correct! The ECU-ACC fuse was blown, you are a life saver! That is definitely one of those 10 second fixes that I would not have figured out myself and would have been charged $ by a mechanic to fix. Tail light is fixed and the Pioneer radio works perfectly.

Going to take my second attempt at the back up camera wiring in the next few days. I probably am just going to wire it up to the reverse lights this time around to simplify the process.