CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 01-10-2017, 09:33 AM   #1
defeo94

defeo94 is on a distinguished road

Alternator problem? Or Serpentine belt?

While driving home from work 2am in the cold (was 17 degrees) i noticed my windshield wipers were acting slower(was snowing) and my window was going up very slowly. Next morning i go to start my car and it wont start. It clicks like a sound of a dead battery. It is not my battery since I just recently had a jump start took it to Autozone and tested, my battery is at 12 volts The dude said he was not able to test my alternator since my battery was only at 50%..? Whatever that means...
Now, the alternator that I have is stock, never replaced and my car has 98k miles (2003 Mitsubishi Galant). However, I have dual 8" subs in my car pushing 900 RMS, which I guess could have damaged my alternator a bit...? But I'm not sure if it is even is the alternator..
Because, my serpentine belt needs replaced. It is almost about to crack, and it squeals very loud, which controls the alternator if I'm right..?
Kind of car dumb here.
Thank you,
Michael
defeo94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 01-10-2017, 10:38 AM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

I would charge the battery on an external charger, change the serpentine belt and test it yourself to see if you run into a dead battery again- if so, have the battery load tested (a better indication of its condition) and replace if necessary. If you get a discharged battery with a new belt and battery, the alternator is suspect.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #3
SPL_Krayzie112

SPL_Krayzie112 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by defeo94 View Post
While driving home from work 2am in the cold (was 17 degrees) i noticed my windshield wipers were acting slower(was snowing) and my window was going up very slowly. Next morning i go to start my car and it wont start. It clicks like a sound of a dead battery. It is not my battery since I just recently had a jump start took it to Autozone and tested, my battery is at 12 volts The dude said he was not able to test my alternator since my battery was only at 50%..? Whatever that means...
Now, the alternator that I have is stock, never replaced and my car has 98k miles (2003 Mitsubishi Galant). However, I have dual 8" subs in my car pushing 900 RMS, which I guess could have damaged my alternator a bit...? But I'm not sure if it is even is the alternator..
Because, my serpentine belt needs replaced. It is almost about to crack, and it squeals very loud, which controls the alternator if I'm right..?
Kind of car dumb here.
Thank you,
Michael
12 volts is 1 volt above the red line...yeah your electronic circuit is already a little rickety. Your belt is also slipping...have it replaced first. If that doesn´t solve it, come back here.
SPL_Krayzie112 is offline   Reply With Quote