CarAudioForum.com

Old 07-18-2017, 12:32 AM   #31
mossman

mossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura about

I'm anticipating the reply "whatever sounds best", but in general, is it typically better for the tweeters to be equidistant from the listener's ears as the midrange speakers or for the tweeters to be at ear level? Because they will be mounted on the A pillars, the farther I move them back, the lower they will be. In order to be equidistant with the door speakers, they need to be as far back (towards the windshield), which means they will be below ear level. Should I mount them as far back as possible then aim them slightly upward towards my ears?
mossman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #32
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Equidistance to the mids would be nice. I'd generally try to get the speakers as far away as possible, so I'd probably go farther back and lower. However, it's always best to try both locations first.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2017, 04:09 PM   #33
mossman

mossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura about

Thanks.

It hadn't occurred to me until now, but with the tweeters surface mounted, they are about an inch from the windshield and essentially resting on the dash. Thus, they are subjected to scorching temps (summer temps are in the mid to upper 90s). Is this going to damage the tweeters over time? Should I glue little ****tail umbrellas to them to shield them from the sun?

Old 07-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #34
mossman

Quote:
You could match to the finish of the headliner, use vinyl, ultra-suede, leather or use some grille cloth to cover the pillar. There are a number of online sources, some with OEM color matched products.

http://www.speakerworks.com/speaker_...abric_s/25.htm

http://www.stockinteriors.com/headlinerfabric.asp
I thought about wrapping the pods in the same fabric so they at least match the pillars, rather than attempting to wrap the entire pillar. Although getting fabric to stick to plastic using glue is nearly impossible. And the pods are an odd shape with two flats, so it likely wouldn't turn out the way I wanted. I guess I could paint them beige.

Last edited by mossman; 07-20-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:12 PM   #35
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman View Post
I thought about wrapping the pods in the same fabric so they at least match the pillars, rather than attempting to wrap the entire pillar. Although getting fabric to stick to plastic using glue is nearly impossible. And the pods are an odd shape with two flats, so it likely wouldn't turn out the way I wanted. I guess I could paint them beige.
Paint doesn't like to stick to plastic either. You can dye them. If properly prepped you can get paint and glues to adhere to plastic.

I think your tweeters will be okay from the sun. The VC is made to withstand a decent amount of heat and the manufactures know that tweeters often end up on hot dash boards.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote