CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Manufacturer's Forums > Product Specific > Alpine

Old 02-08-2017, 06:29 AM   #1
kirstypurr

kirstypurr is on a distinguished road

figuring out what amp to use for type S speakers

Hi. first time here, I have had a bit of a search around and haven't found anything to answer my question. If I've missed something though please let me know and I'll remove this.

OK, this is my first time doing anything to a car, and I have learnt alot in the last few weeks just by researching and buying parts. I have a friend who is going to help with the actual installation (the wiring and stuff) and when he asked what parts I'm using he was a bit worried I have bought an amp that is underpowered for the speakers (he was unavailable when I did the purchasing to help). Everything is still in the box and unopened so there's no problems returning and swapping it if I need to. What I'm wondering is this:

I have a pair of SPS-610CG, a pair of SPS-610G, an ILX-700E and an MRV-F300 amplifier. the speakers are type s and one pair is 80W and the other pair 50W. The amplifier does 4x50W. Apparently it is good for the SPS-610G but have been told it would be better if I got a more powerful amplifier for the SPS-610CG. the amplifier will only be powering the 4 speakers. I'd rather not spend extra if it's not needed on upgrading to a bigger amplifier, but if I need to I absolutely will. So will all these parts work in harmony? or should I upgrade to a bigger amplifier? it's not absolute loudness I'm looking for either, I want my car to sound GOOD! I do have an alpine subwoofer for under the seat too but that is separate to the amplifier for the speakers.

kirstypurr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 02-08-2017, 01:59 PM   #2
jepalan

jepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond repute

You should be fine driving those speakers with the MRV.
I would hook up what you have. I bet they will be plenty loud.
Make sure amp gains are set correctly.
If you want to upgrade later, look for an amp that will do 4x100 W RMS into 4ohms.

For reference, these are the specs for your items I found on Crutchfield:

SPS-610C Components and SPS-610 Coaxials
2~80 W RMS @ 4ohms

MRV-F300 4-Channel Amp:
4x50 W RMS into 4 ohms
4x75 W RMS into 2 ohms
2x150 W RMS into 4 ohms bridged

Last edited by jepalan; 02-08-2017 at 02:01 PM.
jepalan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2017, 06:20 AM   #3
kirstypurr

kirstypurr is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the reply jepalan. given that info, I will return the amp and switch it out for an alpine PDX-F4. I want to do it right the first time.
kirstypurr is offline   Reply With Quote