CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Other Audio / Video > Home Audio: General

Old 11-30-2017, 05:30 PM   #1
mossman

mossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura about

Klipsch Sub-10 Not Working

I've had a Klipsch Sub-10 subwoofer for at least 10 years and it stopped working all of a sudden. Two things happened the evening prior--there was a power outage, and I cut the circuit breaker off to the outlet it was connected to, to do some electrical work on another outlet. The red LED on the front is illuminated, and it turns blue when audio is still detected, but there is no sound. From what I've read, the amps inside these units are known to go bad. Some say the fix is as simple as pushing/pulling on the circuit board. I'll definitely give this a try, but would like to know what the actual issue is. I will look for obvious signs, but if someone could lead me in the right direction to minimize the amount of effort, that would be great.
mossman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 12-01-2017, 05:05 AM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37aGdAcaMTc
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #3
mossman

mossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the link. However, he never said what the actual problem was. Wish he would have measured the bridge rectifier of the new amp to see if it read a short as well. Looks like I can either have the amp replaced with the same one at a cost of $150 (quoted by Klipsch), or have it repaired for an unknown cost (waiting to hear back). I could also just buy a Bash 300 amp and pull the power supply, assuming that is the issue. However, that will also cost me $150.

Old 12-01-2017, 04:08 PM   #4
mossman

Klipsch just told me that they are unaware of any issues with this series of amplifier and that they have less than 1% failure rate . What a joke. I told them to google it and there are pages and pages of complaints and repair videos.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #5
mossman

I believe I found the culprit--a faulty 470uF 100V capacitor. It is bulging, which is a tell-tale sign of failure, and it measures less than a micro-farad. Gonna replace it and hope for the best. I'll post back with the outcome.