CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Subwoofers

Old 10-29-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
B3Master

1200.1 2XLANZAR DC12D

B3Master is a jewel in the roughB3Master is a jewel in the roughB3Master is a jewel in the rough

Stuffing a ported box with polyfill?

If I stuffed my ported box with polyfill would it act like a leaking sealed box? Or would it choke the ports?
What should i expect. Its a dual 12" dual 1.7cu ft box, stuffed with 1lbs pollyfill each...

My aim was to increase low end rumble, and decrease punchy high end and avoid boxy sound.. not sure what standing waves sound like...

Only thing i can realize is less punchy high end and slower cone movement, i can see the woofer working, before it was too quick to see any movement.. maybe less boxy feel but i lost hair movement as well, used to feel my hair sorta move with as low as 300rms to the pair.... and i dont feel i can crank it up as before, there is a weird plop sound not sure if from the pollyfill or he box or the subs maxing out...
B3Master is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 10-29-2017, 08:28 PM   #2
B3Master

1200.1 2XLANZAR DC12D

B3Master is a jewel in the roughB3Master is a jewel in the roughB3Master is a jewel in the rough

I would like to confirm what im "feeling" is in line with whats expected... if that makes sence...

Is it expected that I lose spl? Are we not supposed to stuff ported enclosures? Am I indirectly helping the woofers to xmax easier this way causing ploping sound?

I want to know yer thoughts before I admit which subs im using.

Thanks

Old 10-29-2017, 09:13 PM   #3
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a ported box, so output isn't determined by the woofers reaching xmax. Assuming you didn't stuff or block the port, then the enclosure should act like it's a tad bigger with higher tuning frequency and would probably be louder.

Since you put ~1# per .85cuft, your enclosure is overstuffed. Given that it is ported, it's way overstuffed and my guess is you're slowing air movement within the enclosure and thus losing output. I'm going to guess the plopping sound is the woofer exceeding xmax, so stop doing that as it damages the sub.

If you're trying to kill standing waves inside the enclosure, then use ~1" polyfil batting and line 3 of the parallel walls inside the enclosure.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2017, 12:35 AM   #4
B3Master

1200.1 2XLANZAR DC12D

Yes the pollyfill is blocking the port, and it looked stuffed like over filled, hek its also blocking air movment around the cone and magnet vents even, its litterally stuffed, and it had huge effect slowing cone movement way obvious...

Now i did want the effect to be like a bigger box but i didnt want it to have higher tuning frequency effect...

I guess ill try completly blocking the ports with towels or such, to experience them subs properly sealed... and next get polly batting as you suggested...

Last edited by B3Master; 10-30-2017 at 12:52 AM.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:28 PM   #5
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it probably raised the tuning frequency and is making the subs unload.

Stuffing ports lowers the tuning frequency. Blocking them off makes the enclosure "sealed," but not "properly sealed" since a sealed enclosure would be significantly smaller than a ported one.

I wouldn't bother with all the experimentation as it's all been done before. I'd just stick with what is known to work, which is to dampen one of each of the parallel walls with polyfil batting or a similar product.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:07 PM   #6
B3Master

1200.1 2XLANZAR DC12D

We have very limited subwoofer options where i live, jvc pioneer kenwood boshmann audio.... all else would be very old model second hand products, or extremly expensive overpriced brands... so im stuck using pioneer ts-w311d4 with 43hz fs and 1.05 qts, I had made enclosure as per their recomendation which is 1.5cu ft with 38hz port frequency but it was too peaky between 60-70hz so i had a previous enclosure with 1.7cu ft and 30hz port tune, and wanted to increase rumble even more so I stuffed it. I did get rid of all peaky frequencies but the semi sealed effect is helping the subs reach xmax and making ploping sound...
The subs handle power well (1200rms via bp1200.1 jbl) and are fairly sensitive and sound loud with any amplifier (as low as a 300rms), thats what i really like about them.
The drawback is their just too peaky, which i was trying to cure in an improper way. Dont get me wrong right now they sound great! And loud! But i did lose spl and cone control...

Old 10-30-2017, 04:36 PM   #7
Jimi77

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3Master View Post
We have very limited subwoofer options where i live, jvc pioneer kenwood boshmann audio.... all else would be very old model second hand products, or extremly expensive overpriced brands... so im stuck using pioneer ts-w311d4 with 43hz fs and 1.05 qts, I had made enclosure as per their recomendation which is 1.5cu ft with 38hz port frequency but it was too peaky between 60-70hz so i had a previous enclosure with 1.7cu ft and 30hz port tune, and wanted to increase rumble even more so I stuffed it. I did get rid of all peaky frequencies but the semi sealed effect is helping the subs reach xmax and making ploping sound...
The subs handle power well (1200rms via bp1200.1 jbl) and are fairly sensitive and sound loud with any amplifier (as low as a 300rms), thats what i really like about them.
The drawback is their just too peaky, which i was trying to cure in an improper way. Dont get me wrong right now they sound great! And loud! But i did lose spl and cone control...
With that high QTS it's practically impossible for them not to sound peaky. Good luck dealing with those "subs."

Old 10-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #8
ckeeler11

ckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to behold

I would use egg crate foam along the walls of the enclosure not polyfil. that will get rid of standing waves a should help with the peak.

https://www.parts-express.com/acoust...on-ul--260-526
ckeeler11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2017, 12:35 PM   #9
Jimi77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeeler11 View Post
I would use egg crate foam along the walls of the enclosure not polyfil. that will get rid of standing waves a should help with the peak.

https://www.parts-express.com/acoust...on-ul--260-526
Acoustic foam is a good option too. He's always going to have that peak using that sub. Gotta feel bad for the guys in areas where selection is so limited.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:41 PM   #10
neillio

neillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond repute

The Pioneer ts-w3002/3003 is a much better sub for ported boxes. Cost is arouns $85 here. Alpine Type S is $85-90. The JBL Gt-5 is getting hard to find now. The JBL S2 is a solid sub around $100
neillio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2017, 08:08 PM   #11
Jimi77

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillio View Post
The Pioneer ts-w3002/3003 is a much better sub for ported boxes. Cost is arouns $85 here. Alpine Type S is $85-90. The JBL Gt-5 is getting hard to find now. The JBL S2 is a solid sub around $100
LOL - his sub has a high QTS for an infinite baffle.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:17 AM   #12
B3Master

1200.1 2XLANZAR DC12D

Yea, i ditched them and found me some older ts-w307D2 models with qts 0.44 and Fs 33.9 Hz......
Right now in a 1.5cu ft box tuned at 38 they have a slight peak at 50hz and sound great, will relocate them in my other enclosure that is 1.7cu ft and tuned at 30hz... but right now these sound amazing and deep

Only issue i have is their look, the surround is 3 layer surround having the outtermost layer deteriorated, but hey they sound great... trying to find some cleaner looking ones or less deteriorated

Old 11-21-2017, 07:33 AM   #13
B3Master

1200.1 2XLANZAR DC12D

https://www.4shared.com/s/frYKzJc3ica

https://www.4shared.com/s/frYKzJc3ica

Last edited by B3Master; 11-21-2017 at 07:42 AM.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #14
Jimi77

Yeah, they look a little worked over, it sounds like a step in the right direction.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:24 PM   #15
LincolnGr8

LincolnGr8 will become famous soon enough

I love getting my ported box stuffed ��
LincolnGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote