CarAudioForum.com

Old 10-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
barbwire

barbwire is on a distinguished road

6.5 speakers in sealed box?

I am putting a pair of 6.5's (not subs) in the front of my old bronco, currently there are no places to put them. So i was thinking of building a box for them to put in the center under my dash.

However Ive looked around a bit and have read some things that say you shouldn't put 6.5's in sealed boxes...but idk how credible the things ive heard are so i came here.

If it is not good to put them in boxes, than i will just leave off the back of the box.

Any info would be great, thanks
barbwire is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 10-25-2009, 04:35 AM   #2
sub-standard

Location: Originally Posted by ma_tt316: I found this really sweet looking custom fiberglass universal enclosure.
sub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond repute

The end results of choosing the enclosure type for your mids drivers (all speakers for that matter) can differ a lot depending on the speakers. Which speakers are you using?
sub-standard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2009, 05:09 AM   #3
barbwire

alpine sps-600

Old 10-25-2009, 05:09 AM   #4
Don Ganso

Don Ganso will become famous soon enough

At an audio store near me they have most of their test speakers in individual enclosures and they sound fine... Don't know if this helps...
Don Ganso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2009, 06:58 AM   #5
luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbwire View Post
I am putting a pair of 6.5's (not subs) in the front of my old bronco, currently there are no places to put them. So i was thinking of building a box for them to put in the center under my dash.

However Ive looked around a bit and have read some things that say you shouldn't put 6.5's in sealed boxes...but idk how credible the things ive heard are so i came here.

If it is not good to put them in boxes, than i will just leave off the back of the box.

Any info would be great, thanks
What 6.5's are they? Most mids meant for car installation are designed to be mounted in doors (ie. huge enclosures). Unless you're going to put them in huge enclosures, I'd avoid it. The enclosures you're likely to put them in will be too small, robbing you of any low end output and giving you very chesty lower midrange. Also, if you put them in the middle of your dash, you'll have no stereo imaging, as the music will sound like it's coming from a single pointsource. Single pointsource + zero low end + chesty lower midrange = not a good audio experience. Now, if you just "want sound", they'll give you sound.

Personally, I'd shop for or make some kick panels to mount the speakers in. You'll get the stereo separation and imaging most music lovers want and you'll be able to vent through the rear, imitating a larger, door installation the speakers were designed to play in.
luvdeftonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2009, 05:39 AM   #6
sub-standard

Location: Originally Posted by ma_tt316: I found this really sweet looking custom fiberglass universal enclosure.
sub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond repute

Small enclosures can kill the output from even higher end speakers. I tried my Alpine type X Pro mids in a small sealed enclosure & it just seemd to be missing something. I vented the enclosure & it works alot better now.
sub-standard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2009, 06:04 AM   #7
jhonty

jhonty can only hope to improve

i think there is no problem in putting them in boxes...but before doing that be assured what you are doing...

Cuban Cigars

Last edited by jhonty; 10-28-2009 at 06:46 PM.
jhonty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2009, 06:17 AM   #8
barbwire

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdeftonz View Post
What 6.5's are they? Most mids meant for car installation are designed to be mounted in doors (ie. huge enclosures). Unless you're going to put them in huge enclosures, I'd avoid it. The enclosures you're likely to put them in will be too small, robbing you of any low end output and giving you very chesty lower midrange. Also, if you put them in the middle of your dash, you'll have no stereo imaging, as the music will sound like it's coming from a single pointsource. Single pointsource + zero low end + chesty lower midrange = not a good audio experience. Now, if you just "want sound", they'll give you sound.

Personally, I'd shop for or make some kick panels to mount the speakers in. You'll get the stereo separation and imaging most music lovers want and you'll be able to vent through the rear, imitating a larger, door installation the speakers were designed to play in.
I see what you are saying about the sound imaging, but in this case they must go there. I cant put them in the doors because well, shes old and they are not sealed from water very well. There is not room to place them anywhere else :/

Im not looking for them to produce low end though, ill be running a sub. I just want them to produce mids and highs. Besides the sound imaging, the box i made is not very big; i think i will add some poly-fill and if that doesnt work then i will take the back off. btw they are just sps-600's i got for a steal