CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Installation Help

Old 09-16-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
mysticalice

mysticalice is on a distinguished road

wiring up a 4 channel head unit to 2 speakers

Hey guys,

I have a pioneer head unit, 4 channel 50W peak each, and i want to wire it to 2 speakers. don't want to use one channel per speaker and then have 2 channels not being used, so how do i bridge the channels? do i bridge them front and back? or bridge the left and right sides?
mysticalice is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 09-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
2pt4Turbo

2pt4Turbo is a jewel in the rough2pt4Turbo is a jewel in the rough2pt4Turbo is a jewel in the rough2pt4Turbo is a jewel in the rough

You don't, its a head unit. Buy an amplifier.
2pt4Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticalice View Post
Hey guys,

I have a pioneer head unit, 4 channel 50W peak each, and i want to wire it to 2 speakers. don't want to use one channel per speaker and then have 2 channels not being used, so how do i bridge the channels? do i bridge them front and back? or bridge the left and right sides?
That's a good way to smoke the head unit's internals- don't do it. Either use two channels out of four, or buy a basic inexpensive amplifier for much better results.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
mysticalice

this is going in an ice chest radio, and it only has 2 speakers. running an amplifier i'm worried about because i have limited run-time (the whole thing's running off batteries).

seems like a shame to only use 2 channels. wonder if i can fit another 2 speakers into it. hmmm

Old 09-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
2pt4Turbo

2pt4Turbo is a jewel in the rough2pt4Turbo is a jewel in the rough2pt4Turbo is a jewel in the rough2pt4Turbo is a jewel in the rough

If its not using two channels then the internal amp won't be using as much power...
2pt4Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
mysticalice

yes, but the side-effect is the speakers won't be getting as much power either, thus the head unit will have to be turned up louder to compensate.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
ogg

ogg has a reputation beyond reputeogg has a reputation beyond reputeogg has a reputation beyond reputeogg has a reputation beyond reputeogg has a reputation beyond reputeogg has a reputation beyond reputeogg has a reputation beyond reputeogg has a reputation beyond reputeogg has a reputation beyond reputeogg has a reputation beyond reputeogg has a reputation beyond repute

You actually can bridge the rear channels on some Pioneer HUs. If you have one of those you could add a small very efficient subwoofer. What model number is it?
ogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2009, 02:49 AM   #8
mysticalice

this is the head unit:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

these are the speakers it's going to be powering:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

Old 09-17-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
ogg

ogg has a reputation beyond reputeogg has a reputation beyond reputeogg has a reputation beyond reputeogg has a reputation beyond reputeogg has a reputation beyond reputeogg has a reputation beyond reputeogg has a reputation beyond reputeogg has a reputation beyond reputeogg has a reputation beyond reputeogg has a reputation beyond reputeogg has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't look like that model is bridgeable. Looks like you're SOL.
FYI doubling the number of speakers will gain you significantly more output than doubling the power.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
mysticalice

but i don't have room for doubling the speakers i don't think

maybe i can find some 4" speakers somewhere

Old 09-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
balane

balane is on a distinguished road

Could he do a little surgery on the speakers and bi amp them? Two channels to two tweeters and two channels to two mids? Would that help output increase?
balane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #12
ogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by balane View Post
Could he do a little surgery on the speakers and bi amp them? Two channels to two tweeters and two channels to two mids? Would that help output increase?
Honestly you're only going to get so much from HU power. Just get a pair of speakers with good sensitivity and be done with it.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:55 PM   #13
YoungT

YoungT is infamous around these partsYoungT is infamous around these partsYoungT is infamous around these parts

actually you can use the rear outputs on some pioneer to feed subs, not sure if they still do that now.
YoungT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #14
9801joseph

9801joseph is a splendid one to behold9801joseph is a splendid one to behold9801joseph is a splendid one to behold9801joseph is a splendid one to behold9801joseph is a splendid one to behold9801joseph is a splendid one to behold9801joseph is a splendid one to behold

Misconceptions about HU amps.

1. They dont put out 50 watts per channel, even if they say they do. Most put out 10, 15, maybe 20 watts rms. IC chips can only put out so much power. Some HU's have Mosfet power amps built in but they can still burn out from excessive heat buildup.

2. HU amp power ratings are measured in independent channel output. What this means is that each channel is ran by itself, (mono) then the output on that one channel is measured and multiplied by 4 to give a big impressive number for some chump looking at Pioneers and Kenwoods at Best Buy. By no means will a given HU actually deliver 20 rms of power to all 4 channels. For that, you need the big heat sink and power supply of an outboard amplifier.

So, just drive two speakers with two stereo channels, that's what is best for your equipment. and dont worry, there really isnt any "wasted" energy because u arent using the rear channels. If anything, the HU amp will sound better like this due to less heat buildup, which really is wasted energy. There is also something to be said for efficient speakers and outboard amps. They don't have to be that expensive, depending on what you find online or on ebay.
9801joseph is offline   Reply With Quote