CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 07-18-2007, 11:18 AM   #1
D-Town-E

D-Town-E is on a distinguished road

2004 Nissan Altima - NDSS System

Recently purchased a 2004 Nissan Altima 2.5S from my wife with the stock NDSS system. We want to upgrade the headunit to a sirius/iPod compatible deck, however in visiting a local retailer/installer, he said that we would need to do a complete upgrade, including speakers. His reasoning is that the NDSS system is proprietary and does not "play nice" with after market decks. Primarily, he said the rear speakers being 2 ohm, 6 x 9's will cause an after market deck to "burn-up" and have terrible sound. Clearly, I am no expert at stereo installation, and while I have an engineering background the circuits involved are outside of my knowledge base. So any advice on this subject would be great.

FYI - For decks we are looking at the $200 range Alpine and Sonys with the high speed iPod interface.

- D-Town-E -
D-Town-E is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 07-18-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
altimadude

altimadude is on a distinguished road

I had the same issue in my 06 Altima. From what I've been told the only option if you want to upgrade the HU is to also replace all the speakers and the wiring. I was also not happy as it went from being about $250 to more like $700. I'm not sure what the details are on why the stock 2 ohm speakers would mess with a 4 or 8 ohm head unit but I would guess that it would be in feedback of the power. I have also heard that they make a wiring harness that will allow an upgrade, but that it is not a very reliable option as the HU can still somehow be fried. Let me know if you find a good alternative though, because I've been looking to upgrade so that I can hook up my MP3 player!
altimadude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
ESven5

ESven5 is on a distinguished road

I had an old Kenwood Excelon HU that could run the 2ohm speakers in my car without issue, so not all headunit amps have trouble running 2ohm speakers, but I'm not sure how you'd be able to find out which ones can and which ones can't.

I recently bought a Pioneer Premier DEH-490ib off of ebay for $130 shipped for my sister, and it works great. The cable for the iPod came with it, and it is satellite tuner ready. I know the 590ib comes with the iPod cable as well, so you may want to look into those two headunits as well as the Alpine.
ESven5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2007, 01:12 AM   #4
OR-G

OR-G is on a distinguished road

I have a 350z with the Bose system. In order to upgrade I have to upgrade everything. Same thing the speakers are 2ohm and will most likely fry most aftermarket headunits. You're probably looking at atleast $350 for really low end parts.
OR-G is offline   Reply With Quote